DVD Shrink

vbimport

HI,
I have been using DVD Shrink to backup my DVD to an external MIDTE hard Drive. This drive allows me to catalogue my DVD collection so I can watch everything from a central location (my daughter doesnt get to scratch all my DVD’s too). The problem I have is that when I play back the file I get jumping in the scenes or delayed audio. I have tried several methods for the copying without success. I just want to be able to copy the files to this drive and play it normally.

I just cant identify whether this is a software problem or aproblem with my external drive or my dell 1520 dvd/blu ray drive. I even tried copying a brand new dvd, fresh out of the wrapping and had the same problem…

Any assistance would be great. I have been searching the forums without success.

One final question, If I bought a program like AnyDVD would this resolve the problem and offer higher quality reporduction as DVD shrink is freeware?

Cheers
buballo

Try ripping to your computers internal HD then just copy & paste to the external HD.

[QUOTE=cholla;2181147]Try ripping to your computers internal HD then just copy & paste to the external HD.[/QUOTE]

Hi Cholla,
I did this after my first couple of goes as I though the same thing. it didnt do anything.

Cheers.

What playback software are you using to view those files?
And is the PC connected to a HDTV? if so, how?

[QUOTE=MBK;2181163]What playback software are you using to view those files?
And is the PC connected to a HDTV? if so, how?[/QUOTE]

Hi MBK,
It is a preloaded operating system that comes with the “MIDTE Multimedia Concentration System” (external hard drive 1TB). This drive connects into my tv via RCA cable no need for my PC. I only plug into my PC when transferring files over to it).

It then appears on my TV on one of my AV channels. It has a set menu of different categories eg setup, Movies, pictures, music. I Just click on what I want and load the individual DVD VOB file from there.

Cheers

Have you tested one of the ripped dvds on the computer? If you don’t have dvd playback software, try VLC. www.videolan.org

DVDShrink hasn’t been updated for a very long time and cannot get rid of newer encryption. Perhaps you should try the free decryption section of DVDFab called DVDFab HD Decrypter. It will remain functional even after the trial for the main section of DVDFab is finished.
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

[QUOTE=buballo;2181150]Hi Cholla,
I did this after my first couple of goes as I though the same thing. it didnt do anything.

Cheers.[/QUOTE]

In this comment, are you saying that this doesn’t happen when you play the files that’s on your internal HDD?

Also, have you tried playing the files on your MIDTE on your PC, when it is connected to it and not the TV?

[QUOTE=MBK;2181177]In this comment, are you saying that this doesn’t happen when you play the files that’s on your internal HDD?

Also, have you tried playing the files on your MIDTE on your PC, when it is connected to it and not the TV?[/QUOTE]

HI MBK,

1. I was saying that in both scenarios I have problems, ie copy to pc then transfer to the midte and ripping straight to the midte.

2. No I have not tried this. I will give it a go. What would the results of this show?

Cheers again for your help.

Well if the MIDTE plays fine when connected to your PC, then you know the data is not corrupted and the transfers are fine, and basically it’ll reduce the troubleshooting down to either your TV connection/cable, or the TV itselfs’ ability to play those particular files.

But since you are saying that once the data gets to the MIDTE HDD, it still plays problemetically, then it’s down to how you’re transferring the files to your MIDTE… or possibly the HDD itself.

If you play the files while they are on your internal HDD and they play fine, then you know your DVD drive is fine as well.

MBk.
Thanks, I will give it a crack. I may even change over the cables to SVIDEO instead of the RCA to see if that makes a differs.

Cheers

it happens to most of DVD9, I also dont know what to do to this kind of issue. delayed sounds and all of that.

[QUOTE=MBK;2181242]Well if the MIDTE plays fine when connected to your PC, then you know the data is not corrupted and the transfers are fine, and basically it’ll reduce the troubleshooting down to either your TV connection/cable, or the TV itselfs’ ability to play those particular files.

But since you are saying that once the data gets to the MIDTE HDD, it still plays problemetically, then it’s down to how you’re transferring the files to your MIDTE… or possibly the HDD itself.

If you play the files while they are on your internal HDD and they play fine, then you know your DVD drive is fine as well.[/QUOTE]

Hi,
Definitely better playing via usb connection to the pc. This brings it down to the TV or the rca cable I was using, or could it be the software on the midte system playing the vob file?

Cheers

Another thing I noticed, is that it doesnt jump or jitter in the same place twice. I rewind areas it jumped the first time and it didnt do it again but in different places. Also, when I did rewind the first time it put the audio out of sync.

Let me know what you think,

cheers

Thanks for the help so far guys.

Is there a reason if I have multiple vob files why it keeps repeating the same one and not go on to the next?

Cheers

[QUOTE=buballo;2181820]Hi,
Definitely better playing via usb connection to the pc. This brings it down to the TV or the rca cable I was using, or could it be the software on the midte system playing the vob file?

Cheers[/QUOTE]
So you’re saying that the video plays better when the external MIDTE hard Drive is connected to your PC?? If so, what software are you using to play it back on your PC?? PC’s or MIDTE’s?

[QUOTE=buballo;2181861]Another thing I noticed, is that it doesnt jump or jitter in the same place twice. I rewind areas it jumped the first time and it didnt do it again but in different places. Also, when I did rewind the first time it put the audio out of sync.

Let me know what you think,

cheers[/QUOTE]
That definitely saye the data is not corrupt, and is rather a transfer or playback software issue JMHO.

[QUOTE=buballo;2184867]Thanks for the help so far guys.

Is there a reason if I have multiple vob files why it keeps repeating the same one and not go on to the next?

Cheers[/QUOTE]

You would need to launch the IFOs to playback the VOBs in the proper sequence. Jusat choosing a VOB to play, will not have any navigational pointers to instruct the player what to play next… thus it’ll replay or finish.

Hi MBK,

1. I use nero 7 or even windows media centre on my vista home. I agree I think it is the codec provided with my midte could be slow. However, it comes pre loaded like an operating system and dont know if and how it can be changed. I dont know how to play the midte software through the PC.

2. In regard to the IFO’s how dumb to I feel. thanks for that, it worked atreat.

Cheers again!!!
buballo

Firstly thanks to everyone for their assistance, it really helped and is very much appreciated.

I bit the bullet and bought Any dvd and clonedvd. This overcame the jittering and all my bugs believe it or not. I can use menus, no jumping etc as staed above to date.

One this I did notice though, is that I cannot play the video_ts.ifo file I always have to open through the vts.ifo file for full functionaility. Is this right?

Cheers