DVD shrink won't let my disc drive be the Target Device. PLEASE HELP!

vbimport

Hello, I’ve previously posted before in regards to this same question and yet I’m still having the same problems and I still have no clue what to do. I’ll Open Disc in DVD shrink with no problem, but when I select Backup, under “Select target device:” it only shows ISO Disc Image and Hard Disc Folder. I would like to select my disc drive and let DVD shrink burn to a blank disc, as I do with my other desktop. I’ve also tried selecting ISO Disc Image then using DVD Decrypter to burn to a blank disc but a message always comes up in the bottom left corner (in DVD decrypter) saying “Device Not Ready (No Reference Position Found)”. I have Nero 8 and I’ve already enabled burning with Nero in DVD Shrink. I would really appreciate any help given to me. It’s important to let you know that I’m a complete dumbass when it comes to computers and anything to do with them, so go easy on me :stuck_out_tongue:

I may be wrong on this, but I don’t think Shrink can use Nero as the burning program if your version of Nero is newer than Nero 7. DVDShrink hasn’t been updated in many years, and Nero seems to have changed something that causes problems for Shrink.

If you’d like an alternative burning program to work with Shrink, I’d suggest ImgBurn, which is the updated burning engine from DVDDecrypter. Look at this thread at Afterdawn to find the download and follow the instructions in the first post in that thread: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/664041

Essentially what you do is unzip the new executable for Shrink and replace the one in C:/Programs/DVDShrink with this new one. ImgBurn will now be available to burn the ISO instead of DVDDecrypter.

Ok I’ll give that a go. Thanks for the help :).

I forgot to mention it, but be sure to install ImgBurn also. You can find it here: www.imgburn.com

I just tried it and ImgBurn is doing the exact same thing DVD Decrypter was doing- Saying “Device Not Ready (No Reference Position Found)” I’m getting really frustrated with this. Any idea as to why this message keeps on showing up?

Looking through the ImgBurn forum, the author of ImgBurn says that this error is caused by the drive not recognizing the blank media you are using. Try some Verbatim brand 16x disks.

What model burner do you have? And do you have the latest firmware installed for the drive?

Thanks for staying with me on this. I’ll try different discs now. I have checked for any possible updates but nothing shows up that needs updating.

I just looked and I don’t think my computer has a DVD [I]burner[/I]. I think I’ve just got a DVD reader. I wish I’d figured this out sooner :confused:. Can I add a DVD burner by downloading a software program or would I have to get the whole computer fitted with one?

You will have to buy a new drive. A dvd-rom (read only) cannot be upgraded to become a burner. Even if you have a combo drive, one that reads and writes cds, but only reads dvds…they cannot be upgraded to burn dvds either.

Look on the back of the current drive and see what type of connection it uses. Older drives use an IDE cable, which is normally gray, wide and flat. Most of the modern drives use SATA connections, and have a much smaller cable, often times colored red.

This will tell you what type of drive to purchase as a replacement. A good SATA burner would be something like the Optiarc 7240s. You can find them in the US for less than $30 usually, at online shops like Newegg.com or zipzoomfly.com.

IDE interface drives are getting a bit scarce. Here is the list of available ones at Newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010100005+1038406818&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=5&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc= If you do have an IDE interface drive now, make sure to look at the little jumper on the back of the old drive and put the jumper on the new dvd burner on the same setting. It will be M (Master), S (Slave) or CS (Cable Select). SATA drives do not have master, slave or cable select settings, so not something you have to worry about with them.

How did you determine your drive is only a reader ?
Open ImgBurn by itself.
Set the Mode to something Read will be fine.
Then Tools/Drive/Capabilities . Check the Write Capabilities of your drive.

[QUOTE=plop123;2500698]Hello, I’ve previously posted before in regards to this same question and yet I’m still having the same problems and I still have no clue what to do. I’ll Open Disc in DVD shrink with no problem, but when I select Backup, under “Select target device:” it only shows ISO Disc Image and Hard Disc Folder. I would like to select my disc drive and let DVD shrink burn to a blank disc, as I do with my other desktop. I’ve also tried selecting ISO Disc Image then using DVD Decrypter to burn to a blank disc but a message always comes up in the bottom left corner (in DVD decrypter) saying “Device Not Ready (No Reference Position Found)”. I have Nero 8 and I’ve already enabled burning with Nero in DVD Shrink. I would really appreciate any help given to me. It’s important to let you know that I’m a complete dumbass when it comes to computers and anything to do with them, so go easy on me :p[/QUOTE]
Good new DVD Burners are very cheap now, they install very easily and are a good investment in your desktop. Try anyonew of the online retailers like Newegg etc.

I didn’t mention it was a laptop does that make any difference in buying a new drive? And thanks for your time and help, it’s appreciated.