DVD shrink vs DVDrebuild/Quenc?

vbimport

Please, could you check if my DVD backup procedure is correct .I am a 1 month newbe, and need some advice.

I want better quality than DVD shrink only, so here the way I process:

Movie is Regional coded 2, Bigfish (pal???)

1. decrypt with DVD decrypter…easy task.
    2.get rid of extra with DVD shrink (no compression required, I have set DVD-9)
    3.I take the new videofiles from DVD schrink(without extra, FBI warning, but only the main movie) and I encode with DVD rebuild-Quenc (take 12 hours, all parameter set(VRB,high quality, matrix quant,2pass,bla bla,bla…)
    4.I do a ISO file with DVD schrink from the video file I got from DVD rebuild
    5.I burn a DVD with DVD decrypter…et voila!!!

this process is long,average 12 hours on my pentium 1,7M, but I used an encoding process instead of transcoding.
Big fish is only 2 hours long, but this procedure seems great for 3 hours movie like aviator (not out yet), or Lords Of the rings

What guys do you think?

Your method is pretty much the same as mine, except for the encoder and ISO creation. I use Img Tool Classic to make the ISO, not that it matters much. As for the encoder, QuEnc is pretty good. You may eventually opt for CCE, it’ll speed things up remarkably. Your time doesn’t seem out of line, since you have it set up for essentially best quality.

You’ve done your homework, good job! :slight_smile:

Yeah he did pretty well, although you can’t compair dvdshrink (transcoder) with Quenc (encoder)

you also could try some different matrixes in Quenc to push the latest out of the encoding.

have a look at www.doom9.net

Yes, good suggestion. John, this page may be particularly interesting:

http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/quenc.htm

If you learn how to write your own AviSynth scripts, you can get even more out of QuEnc. :slight_smile:

actually I have some problem with PAL/NTSC, I sent a movie to a friend to the USA, and it is not working. any suggestion would be appreciated . I need a good 3:2 pulldown software to convert PALDVD to NTSC(and the handbook).or do u know if there is a DVD player who has the 3:2 pulldown . in europe, most DVD players accept pal AND NTSC. it is apparently not the case in the USA.

in my process of making a back up.if I use titleset blanker, I can get rid of the FBI warning(if u want keep the whole DVD).here too I would like to know where I can find the “operating handbook” for this free software.if i undertand correctly ,I just have to check all boxes and press on the remove stop BLANK button? can u tell me more how to do, to get rid of the THX, digital presentations?

I wont use Quenc anymore, it is more prone to mistakes if u surf the internet during this time(12 hours process). so all movies with no more 20% quality reduction can be done with DVD shrink.I use a 3 meters diagonal screen with a BENQ projector, and u dont see the difference.

considering most movies are less 2 hours, I dont see really the point to pay for CEE.
I would prefer to make a donation to everyone who gave me these fantastic free softwares.

please, could u continue this post but telling me (us) how u proceed with your legal DVD backups .

I will read your links, and will post later.

thanks!

considering most movies are less 2 hours, I dont see really the point to pay for CEE.
The point of using CCE is for quality backups of your original DVD’s as opposed to Transcoding with just strips cells. The difference is clear to see and 2 or 3 hours is nothing to wait really for quality that is worth waiting for IMHO. :slight_smile:

I wont use Quenc anymore, it is more prone to mistakes if u surf the internet during this time(12 hours process).
Have you used the latest version of DVD-RB and QuEnc? Some significant changes and bugs have been fixed. :slight_smile:

For a good PAL to NTSC Pulldown program try dgpulldown you can grab this >>>Here<<<

I hope this info can help you out. :slight_smile:

I just burn the files with PlexTools Professional without bothering to make an ISO, also I use DVDReMake to remove the FBI warning and third party logos.

The only possible flaw in your method is doing the pre-processing with Shrink, any kind of pre-processing can cause problems with the finished disc after DVD Rebuilder is through with it. The author suggested post-processing instead and set the target size a little higher in Rebuilder to compensate. I don’t think it causes a problem 99% of the time though and I also think the author has been working with the maker of DVDReMake to minimise these problems.

How about these three options? From easiest to pain-in-the-butt.

1)Tell your buddy to get a better player. :slight_smile: Hell, even my old Apex can play PAL discs.

1. Patch method, doesn’t work for all players. Rip the disc and open the primary VIDEO_TS.IFO in IFOEdit. Select each IFO in the upper window in turn, info is displayed in the lower panel. Every entry you see (lower panel) with PAL and an aspect ratio, click on it. A properties dialog comes up, make sure you set as NTSC, 720x480, and automatic letterbox. Click O.K. Repeat everywhere you see PAL and an aspect ratio. Click “Save” and “Yes” when prompted to save BUPS. Then go to upper pane again and do the same for all other IFOs. When done, close IFOEdit and reopen to see if all the IFOs are updated. Burn it.

Maybe it’ll work on his player, maybe not. :wink:

1. This one’s onerous, but it works, alright. Go here:

Good luck. :slight_smile:

thanks a lot for these advices!
just discovered last day avysinth, so I have to study this.what is ifo edit???how i do that?

fritzy, u say ur DVD palyer play both type of DVD? pal and Ntsc.what player do u have, did u unlock the regional code?
i will suggest to my friend to buy a new one.

quenc crashed after 12 hours, error 00006, what is that?it says no proper files to rebuild…i have waited (slept) all night, and can u imagine my face when I see such error on my screen…grrrr!

John, my Apex (AD-1200) remote has a button marked “P/N”, meaning PAL/NTSC output. The player is as it was made. Funny how the cheapest players are generally more capable.

The DGPulldown method looks interesting, haven’t tried it yet. Lemme see if I have this straight… You encode as PAL, but at NTSC resolution. Then apply the pulldown. Length stays the same, so no audio conversion is necessary, and no sync problem. :cool: It’s still easier just to get a cheap player that will output both PAL and NTSC. :wink:

Here’s some IFOEdit guides:

http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?threadid=43142

Here’s the patch method:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=221928

Good luck. :slight_smile:

my DVD player is a roadstar at 50$, prog scan, compenent ports, pal/ntsc,…optical and all gadget included. on my benq projector, the image is awesome, it gives me a signal of50 or 60 hertz(so i can see if it is pal or NTSC) and YUV is much better than RGB colors.(brighter image)

btw, does it work if u have a PAL/SECAM DVD player on a NTSC TV.or do u need a TV which can read PAL???my friend will not change her sony trinitron just for PAL.
Ok, thanks, I will check for this IFOedit and try a pulldown for NTSC.

(just downloaded IFOedit, will study that!)

the software Procoder is known for his good quality pulldown and reverse-pulldown. Don’t think it is cheap though

If cce takes to long…try one pass vbr or cbr. Shouldn’t take long.

and here an other piece of pulldown software (didn’t try it myself…)
http://www.doom9.org/Soft21/SupportUtils/DoPulldown.1.0.0.0.zip

and some guides
http://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?howtoselect=4;41#4;41
last one seems the best

Hmm don’t forget to change the rate of the audio if you change the framerate of the movie. (Besweet can do this)

Yeah. Nice thing about DGPulldown though is you can preserve, for instance, AC3 5.1 sound without doing the conversion.

Haven’t done any PAL DVD -> NTSC DVD conversions, but I’ve played around a good bit with PAL AVI -> NTSC DVD. That’s actually fairly easy. Load AVI in VirtualDub -> Save WAV. Convert WAV from PAL to NTSC in BeSweet. Change framerate of AVI in VDub, load converted WAV, preview it and sync it if it’s off, save a new AVI with whatever compression. Then it’s a simple AVI conversion to DVD. Seemed to work more reliably for me that way.

But messing with DL’ed AVIs isn’t worth the trouble. There’s always a good chance you’ll have to mask bad frames first. Or maybe it’s corrupted. Maybe it was done badly to begin with and you fight with gradual sync problems. Quality’s usually bad anyway. Bleh. :wink:

But messing with DL’ed AVIs isn’t worth the trouble. There’s always a good chance you’ll have to mask bad frames first. Or maybe it’s corrupted. Maybe it was done badly to begin with and you fight with gradual sync problems. Quality’s usually bad anyway. Bleh.

never have problems with it, try “the filmmachine”, "D.I.K.O"or “Fairuse”
The filmmachine is my fav…it does everything itself…including subs and framerate conversion if needed.

if you need a link… just ask

Nope, I’m done fooling with them except for playing with new apps, thanks. :wink: Hard to believe you’ve never had problems with a buggered AVI? Anyway, that’s apropos of nothing and sorry about the OT.