DVD Shrink video jagged edges problem

I used DVD Shrink to take episodes off of my Star Trek Voyager Season 1 set and put them onto my hard drive.
I used no compression and deep analysis.
There is one place in every episode that has the same problem.
In the opening credits the Voyager ship is passing through a cloud of blue vapor.
Then in the next scene you see a asteroid moving to the right while the camera moves to the left to show a planet.
The moving asteroid has jagged edges.
The jagged edges are more like horizontal lines of video that are out of sync.

I used DVD Decrypter to copy the entire dvd to my hard drive.
The video still has the jagged edges.
The original dvd plays fine but the files on the hard drive look jagged.

I also took some cartoons I recorded on my stand alone DVD Recorder and tried to use DVD Shrink and DVD Decryptor on them.
They have the same jagged edges only it looks worse on the cartoons.
Someone I talked too said that from my discription that the video is deinterlaced.

I don’t know what to do to fix the problem.

I have a Pioneer 109 burner I plan to install after I can get this problem fixed.

My computer is a:
Compaq Presario 6000T
Intel Pentium 4 Processor 2.53 GHZ
512MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM (1 DIMM)
64 GB UDMA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
128MB DDR nVidia GeForce4 Ti4200
Win XP Home Edition
16x max dvd-rom drive
32x cd-rw drive

Buy Made in Japan DVD media and use 4X burn speed.

Please clarify. The original plays fine-where? TV or monitor? You’re viewing the ripped file on which- a computer monitor, or did you burn it to DVD and are seeing the jaggies on your TV?

Normally, you only deinterlace to optimize viewing on a computer monitor. Interlaced recordings will have jaggy lines on a monitor, sometimes almost invisible, sometimes very annoying. Movement exacerbates the jaggies.

It’s highly unlikely an original, pressed, DVD would be deinterlaced. :eek: Encoded badly, yes, occasionally. BTW, progressive source video from film is encoded on DVD as interlaced field pairs. A progressive player merely reinterleaves to recreate the progressive video.

Now, unless I’ve misunderstood your question entirely, or am all wet, (Often wrong, never in doubt! :wink: ), here’s what I’d do:

Try burning one to a DVDRW and test it on your TV. And for your computer get a decent software player like Media Player Classic or Videolan.

The official STV dvd plays fine on my computer in WinDVD and on my dvd player at my house.
The version on the hard drive has jagged edges in WinDVD but plays fine in Windows Media Player.
I also copied some cartoons from a dvd onto the hard drive they have really bad jagged edges in WinDVD but plays fine in Windows Media Player.

Have you tried one on an RW? Yeah, the cartoons- that fits, it’s an interlace/progressive display issue. And it’s best to get rid of extra software players. Don’t believe me? That’s mentioned, among many other things, in the long article here:

http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html

Media Player Classic has an excellent native MPEG2 decoder, you may have problems if there are several on your machine. Codec Sniper can kill extra ones. The one in PowerDVD is pretty good too, although I don’t care for the player itself.

Read here about interlace/de-interlace:

http://100fps.com/

What I’m saying is, you have a playback problem on your computer monitor, which can be helped but not eliminated entirely by following the above suggestions. It’s the animation, whether cartoons or the opening credits, it’s all about animation. It can be surprisingly difficult to encode properly, and the sharp lines cause display problems on progressive scan monitors. I’m betting it plays fine on your standalone. But you can’t be sure until you try it.

P.S. I presume you do the regular maintenance stuff, such as defragging? That can bugger playback too if it gets bad enough. :wink:

you probably mean that the video is interlaced (not deinterlaced). here’s a site that describes what interlacing is to help you determine if that’s the problem you’re having. interlacing will rear its ugly head when interlaced video is viewed on a progressive display, such as a monitor, or a high definition tv where the video is being viewed progressively. if this IS the problem you’re describing, there are ways to reencode the video to help eliminate it.

edit: looks like fritzi beat me with the link by a minute.

That’s rather a pain in the butt. :stuck_out_tongue: Might not be necessary. [Crosses fingers] :wink:

it’s actually pretty easy if you use dvd rebuilder and use a deinterlace plugin. it’ll just take some time for the reencoding to be completed.

Brilliant. I was thinking TMPGEnc -> Configure -> Advanced -> Deinterlace. Maybe Edge Enhancement and Noise filters if necessary. (Not as if I’ve played with it more than once or twice, and not lately). Which would take a looong time to complete. Thanks for that. :cool:

Forgot to add VobMerge and VobEdit (demux) before TMPGEnc. My not very well thought through method would be a pain for sure. Hey, here’s another interesting page:

http://www.adamwilt.com/DV-FAQ-etc.html#filmlook

:slight_smile: :wink: