DVD Shrink speed reduction?

vbimport

Hello,
I have been using DVD Shrink for about a month now I have backed up about half of my purchased DVD’s (maybe 50). After about 2 weeks I started to have the weirdest problem that I just can’t figure out, it’s driving me mad.

DVDShrink used to backup DVDs at 7,000 - 8,500 kb/sec and life was good. One day, between DVDs mind you, it decided never again to rip above 2,000kbps, usually averaging about 1,600. This is driving me absolutely nuts, since I used to backup whole DVDs in 15 mintues, now it takes 2 hours. This is what I have tried so far:

-empty recycle bin / Norton protected files
-defragment the HD
-uninstall DVD Shrink 3.2 and install 3.1
-uninstalled both, removed all entries in the registry, then reinstalled
-removed all programs from the auto-startup with windows then ran DVDShrink from a cold boot
-also, I tried to recopy some of the movies I did initially at 8mbs: still went at 1/4 the speed, so I’m not dealing with damaged DVDs.

It’s not the hardware, because I have two DVD drives, and both are the same slow speed. I installed CloneDVD, and it works nice, but it goes at the same slow speed as DVDShrink, and I don’t really like it. I know it has to be something with the program that made the speed decrease so drastically after 2 weeks of smooth decrypting. What could I possibly be missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Handlebrook Enterprises
Information Technology Department

Also, DVDShrink has a new habbit: as soon as it finishes shrinking a DVD to .iso, it immediately restarts from the beginning. This problem is even worse, because now it takes 4 HOURS to back up each movie. Does anyone else have this particular problem?

It’s not the hardware, because I have two DVD drives, and both are the same slow speed. I installed CloneDVD, and it works nice, but it goes at the same slow speed as DVDShrink, and I don’t really like it. I know it has to be something with the program that made the speed decrease so drastically after 2 weeks of smooth decrypting. What could I possibly be missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chris
Handlebrook Enterprises
Information Technology Department[/QUOTE]
See that you are “IT” so forgive me if this is a stupid question. Are your drives in PIO or UDMA?

Sorry, didn’t mean to intimidate by including my title, just wanted to demonstrate how stumped I am…

They are both UDMA.

Let start from the very beginning, and for a moment forget DVD Shrink, CloneDVD, etc.

What speed do you get with doing Nero CD-DVD Speed test on clean pressed disks?

Regardless that your drives that you think are OK and the software the cause, In windows uninstall the IDE primary and secondary channels and reboot so Windows re-installs them automatically.

Use the search option" DVD Shrink". There are some very talented people in this forum that know it inside and out. Much better than I. Saw someones post the other day and he had DVD Shrink all over his Signature, But I have No idea how to find him other than search. Hope you find the answer. :wink:

Yeah, Goudo, I forgot to add that to my list of things I’ve tried… uninstalling the drivers for both drives then cold booting. Windows reinstalled, but they still didn’t get that fast speed back.

I actually don’t have Nero on this machine, so I can’t run that test. I’ll see if I can with Roxio. (I know Roxio is a terrible program, but it was a gift, and I’m poor)

Also, crossg, I did do a search for DVD Shrink in the forums, and all the threads contained things like “help my DVDShrink is really slow” or “help it takes too long” etc. Most of the responses were “get CloneDVD.” Thank for your comment, though, I will search for this person.

I think no one here uses Roxio, hehehe
Anyway, go here get free CD-DVD Speed program
http://www.cdspeed2000.com/

Also, check your HDD transfers, you can get free HDTune program.
I hope you have good IDE cable and connector. I also hope you never used some DriveSpeed programs, that might have slowed down your drive, and you do not have some pacet driver loaded.
Also, get DVD Decrypter and try some ripping.

If you have decided to use the Adaptive Error Correction (AEC) feature of DVD shrink, it will greatly increase the time required to convert a DVD as it compresses and then scans each frame against the original.

Secondly, the first pass is the Deep analysis scan.

When you hit the “Go” button, then you need to check your options. Deep scanning increases time required, but results in better quality. AEC GREATLY increases required time and increases quality.

Turn these off, and you will be back to 15mins again :wink:

I have a pentium M 1.7 and it takes 20-30 minutes to shrink a movie at 80%.
on a old PC, it takes up 2 hours…for a old athlon.

maybe u have a virus, or ur antivirus is working in the back…use a software kill it all.

It’s called Deep Analysis with AEC … Two cycles.

1st pass analysises complexity & changes between frames.
2nd pass compresses & AEC compares result with original to reduce artifacts.