I recently installed a Sony DVD burner (DRU-810A) in my computer at work because some of the guys want to back up DVDs. I have used DVD shrink for the past few years and have been happy with it, so I installed that at work.
At first everything was fine, the discs were encoding at over 7,000 kB/s and it only took 10 minutes to encode a full DVD.
After about a week and a half, the speed dropped all of a sudden to just over 1,000 kB/s and it took over an hour to encode a full DVD.
I searched the board to see if anyone was having issues similar to mine, but I never found someone who was getting fast speeds and then have it slow down like that. Most of the speed issues were fixed by enabling DMA, so I made sure to do that, and now speeds are up to 4,000 kB/s which is decent, but if possible we would like to get it back up to 7,000 kB/s
We are running it on a 2.79 GHz, P4 with 768 MB of RAM. Its a Dell 4600.