I am a MAJOR newbie so thank you for your input!! I have been using DVD Shrink to rip all of my DVDs onto external drives as back up and a convenient way not to have to take my DVDs on trips. My objectives are: highest possible quality and convenience of carrying files around plus the ability to play on PC, TV, Ipod and Blackberry. Here is my multipart question:
- I want highest quality of playback as possible. I am not concerned about having to acquire hard drive space. So, is using DVD Shrink up to this point as good an approach as I can be using? Whenever the software says that the resulting files will be larger than what will fit onto a DVD, I have told the system to convert the files anyway so some of my folders are larger.
- Since all of the audio folders are empty, can they be deleted?
- The way I have been playing my ripped files is by using Windows Media and clicking on the VIDEO_TS IFO file. It plays. I am happy. How do I learn what all of the other files are for? Can they be deleted? There seem to be 3 types of files â€“ IFO, media and BUP â€“ and they seem to come in sets. Is there a name for this type of file structure?
- Is this the best way to get the highest playback quality on both my PC and my TV?
- Is there any other way to play back to a TV other than through a PC? What other hardware can the files be moved to and played back on a TV while maintaining the quality?
- How do I convert the folder of multiple files to use on my Ipod (I understand that has to be MP4) and my Blackberry (which I believe has to be MPG2)? I have no problem with buying a product to use for conversion but how do I know WHICH is the best to use?
- Should I use a different player other than WMP and, if so, why?
Is there a primer which answers these types of what I am sure are very basic questions - either on this site or elsewhere? I hate to burden the forum with the â€œsame old questionsâ€? If you can pass along good training links for someone getting started like me I would appreciate them. Thank you to everyone who responds!!