DVD Shrink ripping and conversion general questions

vbimport

I am a MAJOR newbie so thank you for your input!! I have been using DVD Shrink to rip all of my DVDs onto external drives as back up and a convenient way not to have to take my DVDs on trips. My objectives are: highest possible quality and convenience of carrying files around plus the ability to play on PC, TV, Ipod and Blackberry. Here is my multipart question:

1. I want highest quality of playback as possible. I am not concerned about having to acquire hard drive space. So, is using DVD Shrink up to this point as good an approach as I can be using? Whenever the software says that the resulting files will be larger than what will fit onto a DVD, I have told the system to convert the files anyway so some of my folders are larger.
  2. Since all of the audio folders are empty, can they be deleted?
  3. The way I have been playing my ripped files is by using Windows Media and clicking on the VIDEO_TS IFO file. It plays. I am happy. How do I learn what all of the other files are for? Can they be deleted? There seem to be 3 types of files – IFO, media and BUP – and they seem to come in sets. Is there a name for this type of file structure?
  4. Is this the best way to get the highest playback quality on both my PC and my TV?
  5. Is there any other way to play back to a TV other than through a PC? What other hardware can the files be moved to and played back on a TV while maintaining the quality?
  6. How do I convert the folder of multiple files to use on my Ipod (I understand that has to be MP4) and my Blackberry (which I believe has to be MPG2)? I have no problem with buying a product to use for conversion but how do I know WHICH is the best to use?
  7. Should I use a different player other than WMP and, if so, why?
    Is there a primer which answers these types of what I am sure are very basic questions - either on this site or elsewhere? I hate to burden the forum with the “same old questions”? If you can pass along good training links for someone getting started like me I would appreciate them. Thank you to everyone who responds!!

botadevela

1. I want highest quality of playback as possible. I am not concerned about having to acquire hard drive space. So, is using DVD Shrink up to this point as good an approach as I can be using? Whenever the software says that the resulting files will be larger than what will fit onto a DVD, I have told the system to convert the files anyway so some of my folders are larger.
  2. Since all of the audio folders are empty, can they be deleted?
  1. Yes the quality should be like the original.
  2. Yes the AUDIO_TS folders can be deleted.

Welcome to the forums botadevela, and thanks for outlining exactly what you want to know.

First off, DVDShrink only rips and decrypts movies with plain CSS protection. If you run into a newer movie with more advanced protection, you’ll need a program that is still being updated. I suggest either the free version of DVDFab, called DVDFab HD Decrypter or you can buy AnyDVD and run it in the background to break encryption. You can use DVDShrink in conjuction with AnyDVD.
Ok, on to the numbered questions.

1. Since you haven’t been using the compression possible with Shrink, the files you have now are exact copies of the movies. This is the best quality available from your dvds.

2. The audio folders are a legacy and some programs/dvd players look for them. You can normally delete them if you want, but they take up a minuscule amount of room, so I’d just ignore them.

3. The .vob, .ifo and .bup files found in your Video_TS folders are all part of the structure of dvd-video. They are all necessary for playback. Do not delete any of them.

4. Highest playback quality? Use something other than Windows Media Player for one. Look into PowerDVD or WinDVD if you want a commercial player. VLC is a free option as is Media Player Classic.
    I’m not sure how you are hooked up to the tv from the computer, so I can’t advise on that.

5. Playing on the TV…I’ll have to let someone else answer that. I don’t stream content to my tv.

6. There are many good programs for converting to mp4. Handbrake is one of the most widely used, and is free so that is my first suggestion. Xvid4PSP is also free, and very versatile despite its name.

7. Already made suggestions on this…WMP is a mediocre quality player for dvds. Test the other programs I mentioned and see if you don’t like some of them.

A good site for learning about video is www.videohelp.com If you can wade through the vast amounts of information, you might also want to visit www.avsforum.com , especially to learn about streaming video to your tv.

Great feedback - thank you both!

1. For anyone else reading this, I play movies on my TV by connecting an S-Video cable from my PC to the TV and plugging a second cable into the audio out (i.e. earphone) on the PC and connecting that to the input right and left channel RCA plugs on the TV. It works fine and the quality on my 27" flat screen TV is very good. The question I am asking is if there is another input device other than a PC that can be used for connecting to a TV?

I am going to check out the POWERDVD and WINDVD and see what the differences are.

Thanks again…