DVD Shrink question

vbimport

I backed up my copy of the village last night with DVD Shrink 3.1.
I previewed the movie, and I saw a lot of scrambled video at the beginning and very end of the disc.

I am using only dvd shrink to shrink and backup and burn the dvds.

I have never had a problem with dvd shrink before.

I have a handful of other programs, but dvd shrink has proven to be the most reliable over the years.

any help is appreciated.

Media is memorex dvd +R 8x.
dvd drive is an old sony dru 520a.
Pc =amd 2600+ xp pro.

Regards, Blair

what is the mid code on the dvd you could have just got a bad batch

Mid Code = CMC MAG E01
My DVD’s I normally use are: Prodisc S03 (Memorex DVD -R 25spindel)
I didn’t even think about the fact it’s the first time I have burned to this media.

Regards,
Blair

Hey Blair…

Either way, Prodisc or CMC your in a crap shoot. Invest in some quality media. i.e TY, Ricoh, Maxell or any other that states Made in Japan on it and you should be fine.

Mark

Thanks for the heads up.

I also mispoke be4 I have a dru 510a.

Waiting for linux box to be functional have a nec nd 3500 I can’t wait to test out.

So final is get better media?

Shrink 3.1 still good app for rip and burn?

Regards,
Blair

shrink 3.2 is avalible, and theres also some new protection on some dvds that shrink cant handle but DVDDerypter can. see my signature for download links.

1. Upgrade to DVD Shrink 3.2

2. Check the result before you burn, so you eliminate the burning and media from the problem. Just prepare the ISO with DVD Shrink, and then mount it with Daemon Tools, and check with DVD player program. I use the freeware Windows Media Player Classic. (not good of course for playing in standalone).

I was in a rush. I normally create an iso and mount with alcohol or dameon tools.
I use whatever dvd player software that came with the computer. I think it is powerdvd?

I am updating both Decrypter/shrink. I had older versions of each.
If you want a good laugh it’s going to take me about 15 minutes to download each @ 28.8. :o

Thank you for the good info.

Regards,
Blair

I think 56K Win modems are basically free after rebate :wink:

I have a 56k us robotics external. Its the phone lines here. I live in the middle of no where apparently. Still waiting for affordable/reliable hi speed.(hopefully soon.)

You may want to try to talk to the phone company to improve your line quality. Worth a shot.
You should also try connect the modem to the point where the phone line enters home, might be the internal wiring introduce noise.

Quote2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPenguin
I have a 56k us robotics external. Its the phone lines here. I live in the middle of no where apparently. Still waiting for affordable/reliable hi speed.(hopefully soon.)

Hey Goudo…

99&1/2 chances out of 100 it’s not the phone lines in this case. Check back at the start of the thread and see what media is being used. I’d bet there lies the trouble. Sure DeadPenguin could drag the system to his D-Mark at the house to verify if it’s his IW (inside wire) that is causing some trble. Even if it was a part of some trble, I don’t think he’d care to spend a couple grand (pending house size to run new cat 5 through the house). He could do 1 home run from D-Mark to where puter is located with Cat 5 but I’m not sure it would be that beneficial. If he’s out in the boondocks, who knows what kind of cable they have coming to the house. Could be old lead aerial cable that sucks. Could be buried service. Either way the phone co. isn’t about to put in new cable for a computer line. Trust me i work for the phone co. and do this for a living. Still with what media is being used, that is where I would start and it’s the cheapest.

Mark

This thread was gently hijacked to the slow modem download speed, completely unrelated to the original post. I did not expect anyone to related these two issues :confused:

Guess I’m as confused as you.:confused: :confused:

Please re-read the thread from the beginning, and show me where I related bad compression and/or bad burn and/or media to the quality of the phone line?

You didn’t and I never said you did except for this statement.
You may want to try to talk to the phone company to improve your line quality. Worth a shot.
You should also try connect the modem to the point where the phone line enters home, might be the internal wiring introduce noise.

My point was (1)Media is memorex dvd +R 8x & Mid Code = CMC MAG E01) are what DeadPenguin is claiming to be using. Both of these are notorious for NOT being Quality media. (2nd) is that checking with the phone co. is not going to get anything solved 99% of the time. As long as a customer has clear dial tone, they could give a rip about how fast one connects on a dial up connection. They would most likely run a remote test on the line and unless their was serious trbl. with it, they won’t do squat. Bottom line is IMO the media is the issue to DP’s problem. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mark

The modem thing was a side note on my part. I just thought it was funny it took 30 min to dl dvddecrypt, and shrink.

I ran my own phone lines.
They are cat 5e.
Everyone in my area can only connect at 28.8.(fiber coming sometime this year)

I used the new programs and the village came out fine. I also switched back to prodisc so3. Worked like a charm thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the help.

Regards,
Blair

Blair, I know this thread is a bit old, but one more thing… Using DVD Shrink, I’d highly recommend that you “turn on” both the “Perform deep analysis before backup” option and “compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation” option:

Thanks spooks.

I planned on backing a couple new dvd’s tonight.
I will change those setting tonight.

Regards,
Blair

I got a question about DVD Shrink.

I got a couple of movies I backed up with DVD Decrypter (the village was one of them), and when I got to retrieve them to shrink them with DVD Shrink, there are errors when retrieving the files. Any one else have this problem? Any sugestions?