DVD Shrink : Program Change?

vbimport

I recently encountered a interesting problem with this program,

On my older computer I had DVD Shrink 3.2 and was able to burn my dvds. Now I have an updated computer, downloaded the same ( or so I thought) program and now it is telling me if I wish to burn a DVD after reading the file I have to use NERO to burn.

Now I don’t want to go back to my old computer to take the original D.S. onto a file as my old system crashed to due a virus and I don’t want to take any chances to bring it onto my new computer. Nor do I want to be forced to purchase a burn program.

Any thoughts ?

[QUOTE=pacaguy;2709274]I recently encountered a interesting problem with this program,

On my older computer I had DVD Shrink 3.2 and was able to burn my dvds. Now I have an updated computer, downloaded the same ( or so I thought) program and now it is telling me if I wish to burn a DVD after reading the file I have to use NERO to burn.

Now I don’t want to go back to my old computer to take the original D.S. onto a file as my old system crashed to due a virus and I don’t want to take any chances to bring it onto my new computer. Nor do I want to be forced to purchase a burn program.

Any thoughts ?[/QUOTE]

DVDShrink uses an external burning engine. So, if you want to use it on your new computer, you have to have Nero installed and in DVDShrink in Preferences enable burning with Nero. You can replace Nero with Imgburn.
If you have Vista on your new Computer, you have to have Nero 7.x or higher.

Would I be able to use my personal computers burning program after I use the DVD Shrink software. ( I have a Lenovo computer that has a burning program that came with it. ) , If so how could I do it?

I disallow burning “within” DVD SHRINK and then I burn the files myself. Under DVDShrink’s EDIT menu…

…Preferences…

…the FILE I/O tab…

I uncheck “burn with Nero” and the Can’tBurn message stops. Then, I save as many DVD-file-sets as I want during a DVD SHRINK session, and then I start burning those off.

I have to go back and delete those file-sets at some point - just to save disk space. It will be gobbled eventually.

This gives me freedom to burn with whatever ‘engine’ or Burn Package I prefer.

You can have DVDShrink save its output on the hard drive. When you hit Backup, you’ll see a pop up window, and in the first tab that shows up you select Hard Disc Folder as the output.

Once the program is finished making the copy, you’ll have the movie in the appropriate size to burn to a disc. Your burning program should be able to burn dvd-video, but I’m not familiar with it. Look at the options in that program.

Or you could just use ImgBurn in Build Mode to burn it. ImgBurn is free to download and use. www.imgburn.com

There is a version of DVDShrink that can use ImgBurn automatically. You can find it on this page http://www.videohelp.com/tools/DVD-Shrink
Look for the line that says Download DVDShrink for ImgBurn. You’ll have to unzip the file and follow the instructions on how to install it.

I like using DVD SHRINK to create an ISO and then having IMGBURN use that. Quick way, and a very tidy clean-up process, too.

I don’t allow any software to burn “automatically” .
However if that is your preference then get the DVDShrink with ImgBurn that
Kerry56 posted.

I do both kinds of backups with DVDShrink to .ISO & Hard Disk Folder depending on what I’m doing.

As Christine posted you want to make sure that “Enable burning with Nero” is unchecked. On my OS I have to check this every time to make sure . As it seems to “check” itself . Not all the time & never if you haven’t rebooted. I think some of the OS cleaning I do causes this so it may not be a problem for you.

I do not burn much anymore at all, I have large hdds for storing my movie collection and if I ever wanted to take one out of the house and watch it somewhere else, I burn it with Imgburn in Build Mode. Easy .

I appreciate all of your input to my issue. Once I get back to the house I’ll give all of your ideas a try , then make my decision on the easiest way possible. The main reason for burning is to bring the movies with me while I’m out on the road. Streaming on my smart phone uses way to much data .

I’ve used DVD Shrink for years, and have never bothered setting it up to burn anything automatically. I use it to covert ripped video files into an ISO image I later burn to disc using ImgBurn, which is also freeware. I wouldn’t install Nero on one of my computers if you paid me to.

You might want to look into another free program, DVDRebuilder, which re-encodes large files to fit onto cheaper DVD5 media.

[QUOTE=teh roxxors;2710143]I’ve used DVD Shrink for years, and have never bothered setting it up to burn anything automatically. I use it to covert ripped video files into an ISO image I later burn to disc using ImgBurn, which is also freeware. I wouldn’t install Nero on one of my computers if you paid me to.

You might want to look into another free program, DVDRebuilder, which re-encodes large files to fit onto cheaper DVD5 media.[/QUOTE]

And of course DVD Rebuilder gives the ultimate in quality as well. :iagree:

[B]Wombler[/B]

ImgBurn seems to be the best option. I’ve had zero problems using the program I just need to remember to use the “Build” setting to get the project done. Thank you all for your input. I may still have newbie in my header but I don’t care. This group has really been a large help to me.