DVD Shrink Problem

vbimport

I tried to back up Evan Almighty twice, and when Nero kicks in to burn the Shrink files it continues to say that the disc does not have enough free space on it. it is a new 4.7 Gb Sony DVD+R disc and the movie files are just over 4.4 Gb in size. I have tried two different blank DVD+R discs and have ripped the original twice and processed it through shrink twice yet the same issue occures, any ideas.
Thanks
Randal

A DVD+R is 4.38Gb only. You have not shrunk enough. DVD Shrink should have told you this when you clicked Backup.

Regards

DVD Shrink is not more developed, and there were some little unsolved bugs in it.

Try this procedure (often it works).

[ol]
[li]Rip the original disc on a folder [for example Folder_1].[/li][li]Open the Folder_1 files with Shrink.[/li][li]Save the entire disc with no compression on a different folder [for example Folder_2]. If you can, remove any unnecessary contents like foreign languages or other things.[/li][li]Open the Folder_2 files with shrink.[/li][li]Try again to compress the disc.[/li][/ol]

I hope that this will solve

Alternatively, there is a problem in the ripping method, because the ripped files still contains some structure protection that shrink cannot manage.

How did you rip the original disc?

EDIT: ooops too slow in typing :doh:

I thank you for your assistance. I will try this approach. This is the first time I have had difficulties like this. I did not know that Shrink was not shrinking enough as it has worked many times before. How do I change shrink setting to shrink more if needed?
Randal

You might want to try dvdFab HD as it is also free[U] But updated regularly.[/U]
Although not updated anymore,
Shrink, along with ripit4me still can do 90- 95% of most movies made but that 5-10% that it cannot anymore comprises a vast amount…

that said,
Even with the free Fab,
at times I would run into the same compression problem with shrink so I bit the bullet and purchased Fab Platinum which rips/shrinks all in 1.
Never a problem anymore…

If you want apply a custom compression to your movies, it is possible to select it manually (see the pic)

Thanks again for all the help. While going through the DVD Shrink program I found the following. Click Edit>Preferences>There on the preferences tab there is an option for DVD5, DVD9 or custom. I selected custom and put 4380 Mb in the box to the right. I then processed the movie through Shrink again and it worked. I trust that this is an acceptable way to do it, if not please let me know. Thanks again.
Randal

I use custom ratio on all my movies.
After I have taken all the lang subtitles I dont want .
workes For Me 99.99% of the time

[quote=rago88;1998580]You might want to try dvdFab HD as it is also free[U] But updated regularly.[/U]
Shrink, along with ripit4me still can do 90- 95% of most movies made but that 5-10% that it cannot anymore comprises a vast amount…[/quote]

I’m preferential to dvdFab. I’ve never had a problem with it. It’s free and the updates come so regularly I’m never out of touch.

I did rip it with the most current version of DVDFab HD Decryter, but I did not know the free version could shrink the original DVD-9 down to a DVD-5.If so, does it have all the functionality to compress only the menues and extras thus increasing the quality of the movie portion and still fit on a DVD-5, 4.7 Gb disc? I ask because I just started using DVDFab HD, Up till a couple of weeks ago I used only DVD Decrypter.
Randal

[quote=Randal;1998818]I did rip it with the most current version of DVDFab HD Decryter, but I did not know the free version could shrink the original DVD-9 down to a DVD-5.If so, does it have all the functionality to compress only the menues and extras thus increasing the quality of the movie portion and still fit on a DVD-5, 4.7 Gb disc? I ask because I just started using DVDFab HD, Up till a couple of weeks ago I used only DVD Decrypter.
Randal[/quote]
The free version of Fab does not Shrink any movies, it just decrypts them to your Hdd.

Thanks again for all your kind assistance.
Randal

[QUOTE=rago88;1998580]You might want to try dvdFab HD as it is also free[U] But updated regularly.[/U]
Shrink, along with ripit4me still can do 90- 95% of most movies made but that 5-10% that it cannot anymore [B]comprises a vast amount[/B]…
…[/QUOTE]
I respectfully disagee that Ripit4me cannot rip a vast amount of movies, As far as I know, in Region 1, that [B]vast[/B] amount is like about 5 movies that Ripit cannot do.
Agree that Fab is a good program.

I have had at least 20 movies that ripit couldn’t do.
not all new movies mind you but movies just the same.
70’s/80’s/90’s.
remastered or tranfered disks.
not counting thousands that I never have or will try it’s
still quite a few regardless…

with Fab as a safety net,
I still will use it quite often…

[quote=rago88;1999386]
with Fab as a safety net,
I still will use it quite often…[/quote]

:iagree:

Gee, anything 70s/80s/90s should be a breeze for any old decrypter. Unless, it is a re-release with a screwed up filesystem.

Regards

[quote=blutach;1999495]Gee, anything 70s/80s/90s should be a breeze for any old decrypter. Unless, it is a re-release with a screwed up filesystem.

Regards[/quote]

Gotta agree, I have only had 2 new releases that RipIt4Me couldn’t do & it can do any the old stuff I run through it. For the 2, I used DvdFab HD Decrypter.

Seems the more popular movies from back then that say “remastered or digitally remastered” or similar haven’t ever been a problem that I remember.

my backups run the gammut from animation, foreign, etc

some looked like copies from VHS…

either way,
them be my personal statistics…

[QUOTE=beef barley;1999571]Gotta agree, I have only had 2 new releases that RipIt4Me couldn’t do & it can do any the old stuff I run through it. For the 2, I used DvdFab HD Decrypter.[/QUOTE]
My experience is the same.
Ripit worked for me except for 2 -3 movies. Read that it had trouble with about 2-3 more that i dont have.
Ripit4me should work for any movies made before circa March 31 2007, when it stopped being updated.
For movies made decades before, Ripit, Dvd decrypter, or Dvd shrink should be able to decrypt, unless new protection was added to later release, which I have not experienced.
Quite frankly, very surprised by Rag08 problems, as I have ripped numerous older classics. (Mostly region 1)
BTW, I dont think that even the 20 movies that Rag said he had problems with should be characterized as VAST, IMHO.

I haven’t had a failure yet, but I have read about them, and there will be more to come. However I believe that two things happened concurrently at about the time Ripit4me was taken down that helped extend its useful life. 1. $ony’s brilliant copy protection that even their own players couldn’t handle. 2. The media fall out and loss of revenue from that exceptional effort, which extended over to Di$ney and its releases.

@Jamoskeag3- I think you are right 20 is not vast and its more like 10