DVD Shrink on vista

Hi All,

Can someone please help.

I have just purchased a new HP laptop. My old one had XP and the new one has Vista, before hand i could burn dvd/s using anydvd, dvdshrink and nero. For some reason now i can burn a dvd but it will not play on my PS3 on dvd player. i have ensured the settings are the same as what they were and i am still using the same dvd’s.

Can anyone point me in the right direction.

cheers

I do not think it is Vista or Shrink. I think it is your new DVD burner.
I would check for firmware update first, for the burner model you have. I know it is a new computer, but it does not mean that it has latest burner firmware.
Does the DVD play in any other computer?

Hi FORdy:
I had the same problem. I too just bought a new laptop with Vista. I soon discovered I needed Active ISO burner free from the internet. You may also need 7zip also a free piece of software.
Here are the steps I go through:

1. I pop in the DVD I want to make a backup copy of. ANY DVD plays in the back ground reading DVD.
  2. I click on DVD Shrink and wait for window to pop up.
    a. I click on open and when windo pops up I click on run and wait
    for the first step to complete.
    b. I click on Backup and wait for the burn to complete and then I
    hit ok which send back up to my C drive (under Docs in my
    case.) as an ISO file.
  3. I go to OWNERs foldr and under Docs there is my saved ISO
    Backup. I pop a blank DVD into the burner and click on ISO. A
    window opens that says burn ISO file to DVd. Click on that and
    BURN BAY BURN!

So far every DVD I have coped plays on my DVD player.

I don’t know if this helps.

Katz

Correction:
I met BURN BABY BURN

Besides the guides that you can find in this website, you can also check this guide to DVDShrink:
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/

and this guide to burning:
http://www.mrbass.org/dvdburn/
and

Another thing to consider is the media you’re using and the speed of th eburn , IIRC those are the two main issues for PS3.

The DVD only plays in the new laptop and cannot be read in any other player, what is firmware and how do i check for new updates?

Cheers

Hi Katz,

Where do i get the free download for 7zip and also the active burner?

Thanks

[QUOTE=fordy.billabong;2202797]The DVD only plays in the new laptop and cannot be read in any other player, what is firmware and how do i check for new updates?
Cheers[/QUOTE]

Firmware is something like BIOS for your player. You have to find a model number of the player and manufacturer, than from their web site check for a firmware update.
What brand of disc are you using for burning?

I’m guessing either you didn’t format the blank disc before you burned it or you fomatted the blank disc Live File System.
Use the Mastered .
This will not come up on the right click format selection.
You open Windows Explorer(My Computer) & double click on the drive with the blank disc.The window with the 2 format options will open.
Live will be selected as default just select Mastered .

When i have copied using XP i never had a problem and never formatted the blank disc. Is it something that Vista requires?
I will try formatting the discs beforehand.

What i don’t get is that the films are burning onto the disc and can
be played on laptops but not DVD plaeyrs or even my PS3.

I checked for driver updates and is says it is uptodate?

[QUOTE=cholla;2202843]I’m guessing either you didn’t format the blank disc before you burned it or you fomatted the blank disc Live File System.
Use the Mastered .
This will not come up on the right click format selection.
You open Windows Explorer(My Computer) & double click on the drive with the blank disc.The window with the 2 format options will open.
Live will be selected as default just select Mastered .[/QUOTE]

What are you talking about dude?:disagree: I never fornatred a blank DVD and never had a coster.

Do not try to format DVD before burning, you will mess it up.
Since this is a new burner and firmware is up to date it is possible that it does not like your existing DVD brand. If you can get hold of few Verbatim discs and try those.

[QUOTE=fordy.billabong;2202801]Hi Katz,

Where do i get the free download for 7zip and also the active burner?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

here’s 7zip

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html