Dvd shrink/nero not working with windows 7

vbimport

i’ve been using dvd shrink and nero to copy dvd’s and cd’s …since i installed windows seven neither program really works

can someone suggest a program or programs that work with windows 7

Shrink works fine with my Win 7 Home 64 bit and I don’t use Nero but my Brother-in-law does on his Win 7 home,pro and Ultimate 64 bit computers, also he uses DVD Shrink. Nero has to be version 8 or better.

what do you use instead of nero? where can i get nero 8 or 9

DVD Shrink works as well as it ever did in Win 7. It is no longer effective as a decryption program on many newer dvds however. If you run into a dvd it will not decrypt (and there must be hundreds since development of Shrink stopped in 2004), you should get DVDFab to use as your decryption program. www.dvdfab.com

DVDFab will download as a full trial, with all the parts of the program working. After 30 days, the trial ends, but there is a free section within DVDFab called DVDFab HD Decrypter that will continue to work as a decrypter/ripping program. Rip with this section, then compress with Shrink.

If you want to burn from within Shrink, I suggest using the version of Shrink that can use ImgBurn. ImgBurn is a free burning program that has surpassed Nero for many of us around here. You can find ImgBurn here: www.imgburn.com

You can find the edition of DVD Shrink that can utilize ImgBurn here: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/664041 Download the executable from the link at Rapidshare and follow the instructions in the first post. If you are using the 64bit version of Win 7, the DVD Shrink program files will be found in C:/Program Files (x86)/DVD Shrink.

For anyone looking in who needs the ImgBurn version of DVDShrink, this should be a direct link from videdohelp for the file: http://download3.videohelp.com/DVDShrink32_w_ImgBurn.rar

You need to install the regular version of DVDShrink first, then replace the executable file with the one from this download. Then when you click Backup, go into Target Device and set it for [I]ISO image file and burn with ImgBurn.[/I]

Imgburn will burn at whatever speed you last set, (if it is compatible with the disks you are using). I normally set the burning speed independently in ImgBurn, and it will use that speed from that point on until you manually change it again.

ok, thanks, …got the new dvd shrink working with image burn…IB is trying to burn a dvd disc now but is stuck on an error “power calibration area error” and has retried several times and keeps getting this error…do you know what this might be and how it is corrected? also got this error during attempt to burn … Failed to Write Sectors 32 - 63 - Reason: Command Sequence Error
W 16:38:32 Retrying (1 of 20)…

Power Calibration Error: this usually means you have a poor match between your dvd burner and the blank media you are trying to burn.

There are several things to try. First, look for new firmware for your dvd burner. You can do this within ImgBurn. Start up ImgBurn, click on Discover (or any of the options really) then click on Tools at the top of the window. You’ll see a list of options in the drop down box…go to Drive, then Check for Firmware updates. You’ll need to be connected to the internet while doing this.

ImgBurn can show you which burner you are using and the current firmware will show up next to it…usually something like SH-S203B SB04, where SH-S203B is my burner and SB04 is the firmware revision.

If there is a newer firmware, download it and install it.

Another thing to try is to slow the burning speed. If you were burning at max speed in ImgBurn, cut it down to 8x. This is assuming you are using 16x media in a desktop burner, not a laptop. Try it at 4x or 6x if using a laptop.

The last thing to do is try better blank disks. We recommend Taiyo Yuden (found online at shops like Rima.com or Supermediastore.com) or Verbatim 16x disks with AZO on the label. Don’t get the Verbatim “Life Series” disks. You can find Verbatim at Best Buy.

Lastly, please post your burn log in here. You can find it by clicking on Help—>ImgBurn logs.

dropped down ‘tools’ can’t find any option to check for firmware…can i do this as a google search

i have two drives, both fail with image burn.

downloaded dvd fab. it also failed in both drives

perhaps if i installed a more current version of nero it would work better than shrink

buying the Taiyo Yuden discs though i’m skeptical …i’ve never had any of these problems with xp…sorry i went to seven,

Click Discovery–>Tools–>Drive–>Check for Firmware Updates

The firmware update check will be on the very bottom of the drop down list after clicking drive. You need either drive selected as Destination in the Discovery main window. And you can do this for both drives in sequence if you want to update both of them.

If you give us the log will will have enough information to help you find firmware updates. Depends on what drives you have, and if you are using a drive issued by a major manufacturer or not…for example many Dell computers have dvd drives with unique firmware, available only from Dell.

Found a really simple solution…I also tried Shrink with Nero 6.1.1.0 , Nero 10 and no success, Then I found an old version I had of Nero 6.6.0.13 Ultimate Edition, and it works perfectly.

Running Windows 7 64 bit

Hope this helps

[QUOTE=Fallout_Boy;2625986]Found a really simple solution…I also tried Shrink with Nero 6.1.1.0 , Nero 10 and no success, Then I found an old version I had of Nero 6.6.0.13 Ultimate Edition, and it works perfectly.

Running Windows 7 64 bit

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

I highly doubt that claim as I have Nero 6.6.13 as well and will not install or if installed will not work in W7x64 Ult. Nor would it burn it would say software apps error and close Nero down. So let’s not tell people something that doesn’t work shall we. And no of the other apps would would properly it was made for XP and that is the extend of Nero 6 limits…

@Coolcolors

Fallout_Boy may be running Windows XP Mode within Win 7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2626080]@Coolcolors

Fallout_Boy may be running Windows XP Mode within Win 7. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/install-and-use-windows-xp-mode-in-windows-7[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Fallout_Boy;2625986]Found a really simple solution…I also tried Shrink with Nero 6.1.1.0 , Nero 10 and no success, Then I found an old version I had of Nero 6.6.0.13 Ultimate Edition, and it works perfectly.

Running Windows 7 64 bit

Hope this helps[/QUOTE]

He does state running in Windows 7 and I have Nero 6 and tried to install and run and use the apps and all have failed to run or was terminated by Windows 7x64 Ult. It will install but will not properly run or the programs when attempt to run will be terminated by windows 7 for illegal operation. And I did have Nero 6 and it worked for XP SP3 with no problems. Nero 6 was not and will not work properly under Windows 7 even if you run in XP compatibility mode there are something that will not work no matter what you do because of the programming. And I did run in XP mode to install and run and Windows 7 terminated Nero 6 when you tried to run or use Nero apps.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2626074]I highly doubt that claim as I have Nero 6.6.13 as well and will not install or if installed will not work in W7x64 Ult. Nor would it burn it would say software apps error and close Nero down. So let’s not tell people something that doesn’t work shall we. And no of the other apps would would properly it was made for XP and that is the extend of Nero 6 limits…[/QUOTE]

I am running Windows 7 Home premium 64x edition, not the Ultimate Edition, sorry for the typo but my post should have read that it is [U]Nero 6.6.0.13 Ultra edition- NOT Ultimate[/U]

I have just installed this combination on a second PC and it too burns perfectly…as a side note- Neither DVD shrink or Nero are running in any compatability modes, they do get warnings when installing that there are known compatability issues…just install anyway and make sure that the version is EXACTLY 6.6.0.13, none of the other versions of 6 I tried worked.

Who would need Nero when we have Imgburn and other more useful softwares?

[QUOTE=Fallout_Boy;2626140]I am running Windows 7 Home premium 64x edition, not the Ultimate Edition, sorry for the typo but my post should have read that it is [U]Nero 6.6.0.13 Ultra edition- NOT Ultimate[/U]

I have just installed this combination on a second PC and it too burns perfectly…as a side note- Neither DVD shrink or Nero are running in any compatability modes, they do get warnings when installing that there are known compatability issues…just install anyway and make sure that the version is EXACTLY 6.6.0.13, none of the other versions of 6 I tried worked.[/QUOTE]

Since I don’t know your exact install or how you did the install but I do know when attempting to install on W7x64 Ult it will say Nero will install but will not run properly and after install and reboot any attempts to run the burning program will terminate the program. And I did use XP sp3 compatibility to install and run but all those attempts to run the program gets terminated by W7 saying invalid application.