DVD Shrink: Multiple Audio with Same Size and Name

vbimport

After the initial analysis of the disc I often see more than one available stream with the same name and size. I typically keep one of them just in case, but I worry that I am going to get a nasty surprise sooner or later.

Can someone shed some light on why there is often more than one stream with the same size and name?

Oh! I typically see it on 2ch streams…

Thanx!

The multiple audio streams you refer to are usually, but not always: the Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound-track; DTS (Dolby Theatre System) sound-track; Director’s Commentary and Alternative Director’s Commentary (usually 2 channel audio) and language tracks (again in 2 channel audio) The language used for the main Dolby sound-track depends on the region encoding for the disc.

There are stream numbers associated with these tracks. You’ll tend to find that:

• 0x80 is the main sound-track for the region of your disc
  • 0x89 is used for DTS
  • 0x82,83,84 and so on are usually director’s commentaries or other language tracks
    These tend to be standard across discs but can be authored in an arbitrary way meaning some discs don’t adhere to these rules.
    You should really check out some of the FAQs and guides not only for audio, but also general DVD structure. You’ll find this of invaluable help to answer many of your future questions about DVD backup.

Regards,

TZ

In other words: You don’t know, but it makes you feel big to tell someone even newer than yourself to RTFM. Thanx for nothing, FNG. :rolleyes:

i fail to see what TigerZai said to warrant such a response. consider this a warning against future outbursts like that.

outburt? hmmmm… anyway, I would suggest just keeping the 5.1 channel as long as it does contain something (look at the file size)… this is a universal audio track.

in case you hadn’t noticed, blacktoe’s reply was in anger, ending with “Thanx for nothing, FNG.”

what does FNG stand for? :confused:

It’s a special forces acronym meaning “f***ing new guy”

It seems - according to blacktoe - that FNGs have no subject knowledge before joining a forum so can’t help other FNGs; only senior members of the forum may post plausible replies.

blacktoe:
Please accept my sincerest apologies for trying to help and you should rest assured that I will never try to help you again.

Regards

TZ

Hi,

TigerZai, Man we need more people like you on the forum. So keep up the good work and I know that there are tons of people who would REALLY appreciate your help.

I just read this thread, and blacktoe is COMPLETLEY out of line here.
Thanks mod for monitoring.

ouch, pretty harsh BT…I do I.T. for a living and never talk to people trying to help like that…just an opinion from a FNG :wink:

Hey I’m a “FNG” and although I have only been on this forum for a short time, I feel I have something to offer. I may not know everything but I do have 27 years in computers, learning, teaching, building,troubleshooting, and consulting etc. I’m now retired and will be glad to help anyone who needs it. I think that BlackToe’s comment was inapproprate and rude. Your gonna slam a guy for trying to help you…Not!!~!!

READING is KNOWLEDGE :rolleyes:
KNOWLEDGE is POWER :smiley:
POWER is ABSOLUTE :bigsmile:

Thanks to everyone who supported my reply to blacktoe, I’m truely humbled!

One thing that disturbs me though is the initial post. There are umpteen guides and posts in forums here and elsewhere that could have answered this question. Why did blacktoe not bother to carry out a simple search? I’ve seen amazingly rudimentary questions posted here and in other forums that are easily answered in stock FAQs, guides and tutorials. A forum is a wonderful place to exchange ideas but not to duplicate effort. Free information is what the Internet is all about, but those that are too lazy to look while expecting others to do their work for them, don’t deserve information at all. I sincerely hope blacktoe and others that share an expectation from the Internet can learn from this.

Regards,

TigerZai

Ok, Tiger…

We all said thanks. Good job. But don’t wear out your welcome, bud.