DVD shrink help

Im trying to backup one of my DVDs using DVDshrink 3.2 but everytime it gets to 10% it says “Dvd shrink encountered an error and cannot continue. Failed to read file F:. Data error (cyclic redundancy check)” What does this mean? is there something wrong with my computer? the program? or the DVD?? Im so confused.

Welcome to the forums cgerein.

It sounds like you have run into a dvd that has advanced protection on it. DVDShrink can only decrypt movies that have simple CSS encryption. Development stopped on DVDShrink several years ago, and many structural protection schemes have been implemented to try and prevent copying since that time.

The other possibility is that the dvd is scratched or simply dirty at that spot. Shrink is fairly sensitive to that kind of problem.

My suggestion is to get a dvd decryption program that is still being updated. DVDFab HD Decrypter is the free section within DVDFab, and will continue to function even after the trial for DVDFab expires. You can find it here: http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

Rip to the hard drive, then compress with DVDShrink to fit onto a blank dvdr. While the trial lasts, you can do the entire process with DVDFab.

Depending on what you want to do, you can click on the top link of my signature.

Hi cgerein,

just to add to Kerry56s answer:

I’ve been using the DVDFab HD Decrypter and DVD Shrink combination for some time now with EXCELLENT results.

One added nicety is that if you have a dvd with more than one movie on it, you can use the “MAIN MOVIE” function of DVDFab to create individual files on your hard drive and then use Shrink to burn each move onto its own disc. GREAT FEATURE!!!

Jim

Thanks so much, DVDFab worked perfectly :slight_smile: