DVD Shrink - Help Please

Hello -

here is the issue im running into - if you have the time to help, I greatly appreciate it.

When a DVD is too big to compress into 4300 MB using shrink, I have been unable to burn the DVD.

Obviously it seems I am supposed to ‘un-check’ certain parts of the dvd, like ‘french’ or ‘spanish’, languages I don’t need etc. However, whenever I un-check one of those boxes, DVD Shrink usually crashes. On the occassion that DVD shrink doesn’t crash and I am able to start the ‘BACKUP’, the backup never works, and usually gets stuck at a certain % and won’t move on.

I am using the new windows vista and am thinking this might have something to do with it. I am aching to burn a few movies though that are above the 4300MB marker. if you have any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• M

which movie are you trying to backup and what are you using to transfer the dvd to your harddrive?

[quote=kayvebear;1941663]Hello -

here is the issue im running into - if you have the time to help, I greatly appreciate it.

When a DVD is too big to compress into 4300 MB using shrink, I have been unable to burn the DVD.

Obviously it seems I am supposed to ‘un-check’ certain parts of the dvd, like ‘french’ or ‘spanish’, languages I don’t need etc. However, whenever I un-check one of those boxes, DVD Shrink usually crashes. On the occassion that DVD shrink doesn’t crash and I am able to start the ‘BACKUP’, the backup never works, and usually gets stuck at a certain % and won’t move on.

I am using the new windows vista and am thinking this might have something to do with it. I am aching to burn a few movies though that are above the 4300MB marker. if you have any tips or advice it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

• M[/quote] I hope you are using a third party decrypter with Shrink, this is most likely your problem. :wink:

[QUOTE=kayvebear;1941663]Hello -

When a DVD is too big to compress [B]into 4300 MB[/B] using shrink, I have been unable to burn the DVD.

Thank you!

• M[/QUOTE]

Set the output size to 4460mb.

From what I’ve read elsewhere so far (and of course from my own experience with Microsoft products in general) I’d consider Vista crap to be the most likely source of the problem.

[QUOTE=kayvebear;1941663]Hello -

Thank you!

• M[/QUOTE]

I seriously doubt that Vista is your problem.
I’d look for more likely causes.

I agree with Alan that you should be using a third party program to decrypt to hard drive. Try using free Dvd FabHD Decrypter, gotten here:
http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
Try using Fab’s Main Movie mode.
Then use Shrink to compress, and your favorite burner to burn.

I would not set Shrink’s compression much higher than 4350, otherwise, you end up burning too close to the outer edge of the disc, which is an area of the disc prone to manufacturing errors.

BTW, it would be useful to know what movie(s) you are having trouble with.
Also, what media you use. Id suggest Verbatim.

[QUOTE=Chetwood;1943485]From what I’ve read elsewhere so far (and of course from my own experience with Microsoft products in general) I’d consider Vista crap to be the most likely source of the problem.[/QUOTE]
Where have you read that Vista [B]specifically[/B] causes problems with Shrink. Ive read about a lot of Vista problems in general or with other programs, but not about it causing problems with Shrink. :confused:

[QUOTE=Chetwood;1943485]From what I’ve read elsewhere so far (and of course from my own experience with Microsoft products in general) I’d consider Vista crap to be the most likely source of the problem.[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
From what I’ve read elsewhere so far (& of course from my own experience with MS products in general) I’d consider user error or being unfamiliar with the programs to be the most likely source of the problem. :eek: :bigsmile:
I use both 32 & 64 bit versions of Vista Ultimate. I have used Shrink with Vista since the days of beta without any problems. :iagree:

If The word Vista wasn’t mentioned,
I would swear that these posts were from last year or later.

Has anyone told you that shrink has not been updated for almost 2yrs now/?

Yes it will rip thousands of movies from the past and actually will do quite a few from this year BUT with free dvdFAB, free ripit4me,[yes, it’s not updated but still does most non-Sony dvd;s] why are you depending on Shrink as your main ripper?

I still use shrink alot these days but only as a compressor after ripping with free FAB or ripit4me…
did I miss something in the replys or am I reading it right.
you use shrink as your only ripper?

[QUOTE=jamoskeag3;1943706]Where have you read that Vista [B]specifically[/B] causes problems with Shrink. Ive read about a lot of Vista problems in general or with other programs, but not about it causing problems with Shrink. :confused:[/QUOTE]

I’ve read a lot of postings that sounded like this:

Shrink’s been running fine for years under XP.
Now I updated to Vista and it does no good anymore.

As well I’ve tried Vista on a friend’s machine and so I rest my case :wink:

@Chetwood,
Strongly suggest you read Zebadee at post #8.
He also does not think its a Vista problem.
Could you please be more specific about what problems you had with Vista and Shrink on your friends computer. What happened, What error messages are you getting, etc.?
Also, you need to be more specific as to where you’ve read that Vista causes a problem with Shrink, because you and the OP are the first ones Ive read that says its a problem.
The more specific you can be, the more helpful you will be to the forum’s knowledge base.

Although my XP drive is the one I use most of the time, I have Vista X64 on another drive with Dvd Shrink installed & also having no problems with it. I am not running it in Compatibility mode either.

Sorry, I thought that my use of emoticons made it clear that Im simply venting considering Vista which is even worse than Nero bloatware in my book. I can’t offer any help on that subject other than my initial suggestion: drop Vista in favor of XP since this is a combo that definitely works. I’ve seen no reason whatsoever why anyone would want to “upgrade”, of course that includes Aero.