DVD Shrink/computer virus question

vbimport

I ran a deep scan of my computer this afternoon with A-Squared and the Scan Report includes the following:

“C:\Users\Computer\Documents\DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB[1]\DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB\DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB\DVD_Shrink_w ImgBurn Feature\DVD Shrink 3.2.exe
Quarantined Trojan.Win32.StartPage.NK!IK”

The reason I performed the scan is because my AV software alerted me a few minutes before that there was a possible “high risk” virus on my computer and prompted me to take some action - which I ignored, preferring to run A-Squared.

Anyway … is this something I should be concerned about and has anyone else experienced this?

I downloaded DVD Shrink some time ago and it has been performing flawlessly (haven’t tried it today, though).

Any suggestions/comments will be appreciated.

Try running your AV program. Let us know what comes up.
Is DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip the file your program complains about?
Where did you download it from?
It could possibly be a false positive.

Check out Quarantine & tell us what’s in there.

The reason I performed the scan is because my AV software alerted me a few minutes before that there was a possible “high risk” virus on my computer and prompted me to take some action - which I ignored, preferring to run A-Squared.

what is your anti-virus software? there are spyware programs which act like anti-virus programs. so the only real threat is the fake program warning you of an infection.

read up on a google search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Trojan.Win32.StartPage&btnG=Search

[quote=Dialysis1;2148148]Try running your AV program. Let us know what comes up.
Is DVD_Shrink_3_2_b_w_IB.zip the file your program complains about?
Where did you download it from?
It could possibly be a false positive.[/quote]

I did a quick scan and nothing came up, but it wouldn’t if it’s already been placed in quarantine, right? I actually can’t remember where I found the link for the DVD Shrink download. My first was from here, then I remember uninstalling it and downloading a version that worked in conjunction with ImgBurn.

Quarantine (A-Squared) just lists “Trojan.Win32StartPage” Risk Level: High.

[quote=troy512;2148165]what is your anti-virus software? there are spyware programs which act like anti-virus programs. so the only real threat is the fake program warning you of an infection.

read up on a google search
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Trojan.Win32.StartPage&btnG=Search[/quote]

I have Windows Defender and McAfee, plus A-Squared. The thing is, the pop up alert this afternoon named both “high risk” issues (the DVD Shrink trojan and another problem), and then when I scanned with A-Squared, it found both of them (took a couple of hours for the deep scan).

I’ll go read up on your google link, and I appreciate everyone’s replies and suggestions so far.

You could search on your computer for the word quarantine and you should get the path for the folder. However, if you’re using McAfee, the folder is probably hidden. I have a quarantine folder with files in it and I trust my AV software to keep it there.

FWIW: My pathname is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan

Your Dvd Shrink is not the problem by the looks of it, that is just where it found the trojan. Did you remove it? You could try a Windows Live One Care full scan or download & install Malwarebytes, do a short scan first & then a full scan.

Yes download and run malwarebites it is free and will find the virus

[quote=jeff53404;2148187]You could search on your computer for the word quarantine and you should get the path for the folder. However, if you’re using McAfee, the folder is probably hidden. I have a quarantine folder with files in it and I trust my AV software to keep it there.

FWIW: My pathname is C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\VirusScan[/quote]

Thanks so much for your response. When A-Squared detected the trojan, I used the option to place it in “Quarantine”, so when I ran my AV scan, it was not found. As long as it’s in that folder, there are no worries, right?

Yes, that’s what I figured. Googling reveals the trojan also attaches itself to AnyDVD and other programs as well.

I DID remove it (placed it in A-Squared’s quarantine folder) and I’ll continue to do regular deep scans just in case. Thanks so much for the response and your suggestions.

Thanks for the suggestion, GJ. I really appreciate everyone’s concern and responses (love that about this site) and I will certainly look into malwarebites. Haven’t a clue how I picked up this trojan/virus thingy, or why it came up connected to DVD Shrink (one of my favorite programs), but I think I’m okay as long as it’s in the quarantine folder.