DVD Shrink & compression - I'm confused

I’m re-authoring a DVD with DVD Shrink (just backing up the main movie only - no extras). I make sure “no compression” is selected. The main movie only takes up about 4.1 gigs, so there is plenty of room on the DVD.

When I select “backup” and it begins to rip the DVD, it says “compression level 45%” and the percentage bounces between about 40 and 50%. This is what I don’t understand - If I selected “NO COMPRESSION” why does it say it is compressing it? Or does this mean something else? :confused:

So you followed the steps here? Just dragging the main movie over, and it’s less than 4.37 GB? You click “no compression”?

Originally posted by FutureProof
So you followed the steps here? Just dragging the main movie over, and it’s less than 4.37 GB? You click “no compression”?

Yup that’s exactly what I did. Even “Automatic” said 100% next to it because the movie was small enough.

The only difference is I selected “Deep Analysis” (the option appears greyed out in those instructions). Maybe that had something to do with it?

Start again. Do deep analysis first, then Re-author, see what happens

selecting deep anyalisis when you rip (from the rip dialog box) just shows the maximum compression that shrink COULD do on a frame. it DOES NOT mean that when it does the encoding (different dialog box will pop up) that it will compress at that level, especially if you have no compression checked.

Thank you both. I guess what I was seeing was the deep analysis taking place showing possible compression levels. So there really isn’t any reason to select a deep analysis if you’re using no compression. Glad I got this figured out, thanks.

Originally posted by Hugh Jorgan
Thank you both. I guess what I was seeing was the deep analysis taking place showing possible compression levels. So there really isn’t any reason to select a deep analysis if you’re using no compression. Glad I got this figured out, thanks.

yes, no reason to do deep anaylisis if your not using compression.