DVD Shrink and +R DL's?

vbimport

Okay, I’ve burned several hundred single-layer +R discs, and w/my NEC 3520A and a few v-e-r-y- pricey Verbatim +R DL discs, I’m ready to start experimenting. I’d like to reduce my chances of burning an $8 coaster, so I thought I’d turn to you folks for advice.

I generally use DVD Shrink to encode my movie backups. I have Nero (6.6.0.8), so I let it tap the Nero engine to burn. I’m successful prob. 99% of the time. Success rate should go higher now that I’ve switched to Verbatim solely.

Now it’s time to jump into the murky waters of dual/double layer. First of all, can Shrink handle a dual-layer disc? IOW, would all I have to do is select “DVD-9” as my disc size?

Would I also need to uncheck the “Preferences”, “Output Files” tab, “Remove layer break” checkbox? Or should I leave it checked and let Nero decide where to put the layer break?

Or conversely, should I not use Shrink at all to burn dual-layer discs?

Thanks for any advice on this.

If you’re doing dual layer back-ups, the best app to use is simply Dvd Decrypter. Just make a disc image using Iso read mode and then write using Iso write mode (loading from the .mds file). That’s all there is to it. :slight_smile:

Most problems with dual layer burning occur because the layer break isn’t where it was on the original. However, Dvd Decrypter will insert the layer break in exactly the same place as on the original so that problem won’t occur if you just use the method above.

Thanks, that’s a great help! I’ll do that on my next backup from disc.

But what do I do if I already have a disc ripped to hard drive in File mode (done using SmartRipper)? Can I burn it to dual layer? Or do I need to rip the disc again w/DVD Decrypter?

>>>But what do I do if I already have a disc ripped to hard drive in File mode (done using SmartRipper)? Can I burn it to dual layer? Or do I need to rip the disc again w/DVD Decrypter?<<<

Rip it again. It is not worth the risk of an “8 dollar coaster,” as you yourself pointed out. DVDDecrypter needs a disc image to correctly burn if it is to keep the layer break exactly where it was. And, this means it needs the proper reference file, as well (which is only created by DVDDecrypter). Yes, you COULD create this very simple file, from scratch, farily easily, but it is not worth the risk of something going wrong.

The DVDDecrypter support forum has an excellent guide to the process – I believe it is all of five lines long, as I recall. Jump over there (Google), and follow that guide once. You will then have it memorized, and never need it again.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

Yep, DVDDecrypter ISO Read -> ISO Write. It definitely works if done from the original pressed disc. What’s not so definite is how to successfully do what you propose. Have a look here:

http://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=225001