DVD Shrink 3.2 - Will Not Create .ISO for DVD-R? Just Checking

vbimport

Hi just wanted to check, I ran DVD Shrink hoping to make a copy of a DVD-R which I made a few years back. No luck. “Invalid Navigation Structure.”

I presume it is designed to copy store bought DVDs?

I’ve spent hours trying to copy this old home movie. It still plays on the Liteon LVW-1107 which I made it on. It will even still play on other DVD players. But I’m reading that DVDs are unstable, and I’d like to make a copy of it.

Imgburn only copied around 30% of it before I got the “Retry Failed - Reason: CIRC Unrecovered Error.” A few other programs say they are free, but when you run them it turns out you’d have to pay. (It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I have to.)

If anyone can give me a kick in the right direction I’d surely be grateful.

Oh, of course, forgot to add, a regular old “copy and paste” in Windows did not work. “redundancy error.”

You might try getting the dvd to the hard drive using ISOBuster. There is a free version available, so try it first.

DVDShrink is a stickler for correct dvd structure, so if there is something slightly off, it will tell you about it.

More worrisome is the error in ImgBurn, which I think shows a problem with the physical disk.

Players have some error correction, so it might play ok, but not copy well.

By the way, you’ve posted in the wrong subforum, so I’m going to move this thread to the appropriate spot and leave a redirect so you can find it. Ha, or on second thought, I’ll just let Alan do it. :bow: :bigsmile:

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2583504]You might try getting the dvd to the hard drive using ISOBuster. There is a free version available, so try it first.

DVDShrink is a stickler for correct dvd structure, so if there is something slightly off, it will tell you about it.

More worrisome is the error in ImgBurn, which I think shows a problem with the physical disk.

Players have some error correction, so it might play ok, but not copy well.

By the way, you’ve posted in the wrong subforum, so I’m going to move this thread to the appropriate spot and leave a redirect so you can find it. Ha, or on second thought, I’ll just let Alan do it. :bow: :bigsmile:[/QUOTE] Done, thanks Kerry.:wink:

[QUOTE=LectricSketti;2583501]Hi just wanted to check, I ran DVD Shrink hoping to make a copy of a DVD-R which I made a few years back. No luck. “Invalid Navigation Structure.”

I presume it is designed to copy store bought DVDs?

I’ve spent hours trying to copy this old home movie. It still plays on the Liteon LVW-1107 which I made it on. It will even still play on other DVD players. But I’m reading that DVDs are unstable, and I’d like to make a copy of it.

Imgburn only copied around 30% of it before I got the “Retry Failed - Reason: CIRC Unrecovered Error.” A few other programs say they are free, but when you run them it turns out you’d have to pay. (It wouldn’t be the end of the world if I have to.)

If anyone can give me a kick in the right direction I’d surely be grateful.

Oh, of course, forgot to add, a regular old “copy and paste” in Windows did not work. “redundancy error.”[/QUOTE]

As it’s a backup there’s no protection on the disc so if ImgBurn can’t read the disc then Kerry’s correct and it sounds to me like there’s a problem with the disc.

This can be for a number of reasons, the disc could be dirty, it could be scratched or the actual recording could have degraded due to long term stability problems with certain dye types (predominantly associated with cheaper media).

If you haven’t done this already try cleaning the disc.

Scratches can be polished out.

If that doesn’t work then IsoBuster or IsoPuzzle may be able to recover enough of the disc for you but it’s not always possible to recover the data from degraded media.

[B]Wombler[/B]

I would try h2cdimage.
Here is a link to my post on using it:

This is a long way from a complete tutorial.
The .txt file is an English translation of the read me & a few of my notes.
The .iso file it creates will be in the h2cdimage folder it should work in DVDShrink when loaded as an image.
If it doesn’t try it in a virtual drive & see if those file will work for you.
Good luck.

liesmichE.txt (12.5 KB)

Hi Wombler,

I tried ISO buster and it did about the same as Imgburn. I tried ISO buster both choosing to fill in with zeros and skipping bad sectors.

I have remembered/discovered a number of home videos which I coped from VHS onto DVD with the LVW-1107. They are are two different kinds of Memorex DVD, and they cannot be be copied onto my hard drive. I have tried various means of copying them, and I even tried to get away with using MS Backup tool. No luck. Oddly, a large MPG file which was made during the same time period was able to be copied to my hard drive (copied it just to see if it would copy).

After fiddling around with umpteen programs, I think I want to replay the DVD’s and to copy them as they are playing. I’m imagining that I’m going to need to buy a DVD player with a USB connection, plus software (freeware?) to record the old movies.

Thanks for the time and attention to all who responded, and if anyone has any advice, or a better idea for fixing this problem, I’d surely consider it.

If your Lite-on recorder is still functioning, you should be able to play the movie on another dvd player and hook that player straight to your LVW-1107. Record it as it plays from the other player. You should be able to connect them together using composite, s-video or component cables. Just like you did when going from VHS. Remember to finalize the dvd.

Going from a player to the computer will require a capture device of some sort, either a plug in pci or pci-e capture card, or a usb device. They normally come with software for capturing video.

Thank you Kerry 56.

I tried your idea and it worked for about 25% of the DVD. Then it became apparent that the DVD is in fact not playable on other DVD players as I had thought. These disks will only play on the burner that made them. Of the five or so that I’ve messed around trying to copy, every one of them has the problem in the 2nd block of the Video_TS file.

I see that Windows Movie Maker which is on my system will capture video. So, I guess I need to get the component video and audio portion of the regular “a/v out” into my computer somehow. (Unless I were to buy a new burner, which is not out of the question.)

This all a little surprising.

Have you finalized the disk in the original recorder before trying to copy it?

I agree with ~Jethro~ .
If at all possible you need to finalize these DVD’s in the original burner/recorder.
Some software will finalize a DVD but from my experence a lot if the time this turns them into a coaster.
ImgBurn is supposed to do this. Nero is too. I suggest trying to close with software as a last resort.

This is a huge point - not finalizing can be the sole source of all problems.

When you eject an unfinalized disk from the LVW-1107, the system will put up a message which says something like, “In order to make this disk compatible with other DVD players, you need to finalize it.”

Among the precious home videos on DVD I found a few other DVDs which had parts of TV shows on it. I had not finalized those, so that’s how I know this. Since I don’t get this message when I eject the important DVDs, I’m confident that I did finalize.

Widening the lens a little (beyond “me me me”) I’d be curious if any of you would like to tell me, or steer me to an article about, what is on the horizon for the people who burned their precious VHS video to DVD? Are the DVDs actually failing? What percentage? Are DVDs which are being burned now going to experience the same rate of failure five years from now (as compared to DVDs which were burned five years ago?).

OMG! Maybe I need to play my DVDs to an old VHS recorder!!!

I don’t know of an article or study showing failure rates of dvds in the real world. There have been a few simulated studies, for what they are worth. I do know that many of us who used good quality media, top burners, moderate burning speeds and good storage techniques have suffered very few such failures over the last eight or nine years.

Of all the disks I’ve burned, I’ve had one complete failure, and that was a cdrw disk (cheapo) that was given to me.

Using Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim AZO disks, or other high quality blanks has helped that low failure rate beyond any other factor I believe, but I also don’t advise anyone to use just one storage method for any digital information that is irreplaceable. Use two different types of disks, and keep a copy on a hard drive. Check the material periodically.

Digital storage is a tremendous problem, not just for individuals, but for business and government as well. There is no easy solution so far, but relying solely on optical media isn’t recommended by anyone.

You can get a free copy of NeroDiscSpeed here:
http://www.nero.com/enu/tools-utilities.html
This will tell you if a disc is “open” or “closed” .
Closed = Finalized & Open = not finalized .
Use the DiscInfo tab.

Thanks to everyone who took time to offer advice. I have resolved this problem, so I’d like to circle back in case anyone out there comes across these posts while researching the same problem I had.

It turns out that, for just playing the DVDs, they were not as damaged as I had assumed. By merely ejecting the disks, and trying to play them a second or third time, I got different results. My initial impression that, once a disk messed up at 17:45 it would always do the same thing at the same place. This was incorrect.

Before I discovered this, I had a very unsatisfactory exchange with Lite-On customer service. They e-mailed me a list of different types of discs and suggested recording speeds. The subtext was, “In the future, do this and you will be OK.” Really? Thanks! They offered no guidance on how to copy DVDs which are going downhill.

I looked into buying another DVD burner and went to a good store near me named Micro Center. While I was there, after talking with a cs rep, I realized that I should try screen capturing, and then store the .mpgs on different hard drives.

They had five different brands of capture adapters. I looked at the Dazzle HD, regular Dazzle, and three cheaper models. They all only had the yellow RCA video plug, and I asked the rep why they did not have the green-blue-red “component video out.” I did not follow the answer except that “they don’t make them that way because it wouldn’t help.”

After mulling things over, I decided to roll the dice on the cheapest adapter of the bunch. I paid about $25.00 for a Sabrent adapter which came with Ulead VideoStudio SE software. Getting the audio set up correctly was a real pain (that is one of the things I have never gotten down pat in XP.)

The Ulead software baffles me, but I don’t need to do much editing. I just played the DVDs, set a timer, returned to my computer and hit “stop capture” at each movie’s end.

The results of all this have far exceeded my expectations. I took one of the .mpgs which I captured, converted it back to DVD and burned it. I then put it into a DVD player and compared it to the original DVD. I even hooked up two DVD players so I could flip between them to compare. They were indistinguishable!

Considering how much those old films meant to me, I am much relieved, and I have learned my lesson in regard to storage media. Bkup, Bkup, Bkup!

In the next few months, I will look into burning all of the .mpgs to DVD, but for now I’m done with this mess. It’s been a frustrating roller coaster ride, and I’m glad this is over.

Not really as ideal a solution as we’d have liked, having to buy new hardware etc., but glad to hear you’re sorted.

[B]Wombler[/B]