DVD SATA burner with driver for 64-bit Windows?

I am selecting hardware for a workstation for my daughter, who is a design student. The OS will be Windows XP Pro 64-bit and the mb only has SATA connectors. As she will only use the drive for loading software and possibly burning large files, reliability and accuracy are the most important requirements, as well as making sure that it is compatible with a 64-bit operating system. My assumption is that the drivers are provided in the OS, but I have not used Windows 64-bit before.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ken K

Optical drives always* use the same generic Windows drivers. What you might have an issue with is the chipset that controls the SATA connectors, where the controller may not like SATA optical drives. :slight_smile:

Hi,[quote=kdkrone;2124578]I am selecting hardware for a workstation for my daughter, who is a design student. The OS will be Windows XP Pro 64-bit and the mb only has SATA connectors.[/quote]What mainboard exactly?

as well as making sure that it is compatible with a 64-bit operating system. My assumption is that the drivers are provided in the OS, but I have not used Windows 64-bit before.
The only source of problem might be the Sata controller, resp. its drivers. Make sure, the Sata controller can be configured as “IDE” (or similar), and there shouldnt be a problem.

Michael

The mb is an Intel DP35DP.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a reliable DVD drive that would work in my system?

Okay.

Nearly any drive should work. I personally would recommend a Pioneer 215 series drive since it’s a good allrounder.

Michael