Dvd Rw

Hi there. Absolutely new here. I bought a Nec 2510A DVD dual layer player and 5 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB RW media disc. I had placed some files on it(backing up some files that is) and then changed my mind and wanted to erased them. I get a message saying ‘the disc is not rewritable and therefore cannot be used, Please insert a rwritable disc’

I thought RW means rewritable? Maybe I’m totally wrong here. Can someone explain in layman terms? Thank you kindly. BTW, I’m using Nero version 6.3.1.6.

5 Verbatim DVD+R 4.7GB RW
Did you buy DVD+R or DVD+RW discs? DVD+RW discs have a black write surface, DVD+R discs a purple one. If it’s black you can erase the discs and re-write them. You can erase the disc with Nero via the Recorder button, Erase ReWriteable disc. You can use either the quick method or the full method.

Welcome to the forum btw :wink:

The disks could also be blue if they are +R just to add to the rainbow

But yeah in your post you say +R and those aren’t rewritable those are one time only deals.
Whil +RW is as you said rewritable. In addition to Nero’s erase tool almost every burning tool has these erase tools, some can just be a bit more difficult to find.

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I just took another look and saw that it was a dvd +R. Not RW. I assume this because at the bottom it was written RW. So I assumed it was a rewritable disc. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks.

You’re right when you say it’s confusing tiking. DVD+R discs often have the “DVD+ReWriteable” logo on them which states “+RW” because that’s the official logo. See: