DVD+RW won't set booktype to DVD-ROM

I just flashed my DVR-112D with this firmware “A12J_1.24_Firmware_With_Bitsetting_And_Labelflash” and when I burn an ISO which is a copy of a DVD movie, the disc is still DVD+RW as reported by Nero’s CD/DVD Speed. And I can’t play it in my standalone dvd player as a result.

What is wrong? I tried burning it with Alcohol 120% and Nero…and you can’t change the booktype in Nero or Alcohol (as I normally would with other dvd writers) since this is supposed to be automatic.

I’m guessing the firmware’s bitsetting only works for DVD+R and DVD+R DL but not DVD+RW. Is there a firmware that will work with DVD+RW’s for the DVR-112D?

If I burn the same ISO to the same disc but using my Samsung SH-S182D drive (on same pc) then Nero automatically tells me it’s writing it as booktype DVD-ROM.

Since I only bought the drive yesterday, I think I’ll have to return it and maybe I’ll try the Pioner DVR-212…though I’m guessing the bitsetting problem will be on that one too. I must have DVD-ROM capability…and while I may have it on my Samsung, I won’t have it if the Samsung dies.

Thanks.

Only +R and +R DL will bitset to -ROM in the Pioneer drive. +R will only bitset with an appropiate firmware.

OK, the winner gets a reward. I’ll ship a working LITE-ON DVD-ROM for free (within reasonable distance). Not much, but it is an insentive isn’t it?! All you need to do is help me buy a dvd-/+rw that will let me backup almost any media…read below.

Can someone suggest the BEST dvd drive I can buy for reading damaged/poorly written DVD Movies (which are on DVD-R media)? Money is no object since I have over 300 movies that have problems reading on any drive I’ve ever tried. Some do read these discs better than others, and the DVR-112D from Pioneer I’ll be returning tomorrow does a decent job, but not good enough to recover these discs.

My selection will be from the following place, and it must be an OEM drive (not retail, since I can’t return/exchange a retail drive):

http://canadacomputers.com/main.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=CR.184

I already own a Samsung SH-S182D and two NEC drives, all IDE and none of which is THE one. I can buy a SATA drive…but I’d rather leave my SATA ports open for extra hdd’s which I plan on using with RAID…however, if it’s the best at reading scratched/damaged dvd’s then so be it. Oh, and preferrably one that can do bitsetting on DVD+RW media, not just DVD+R or DVD+R DL.

I’m thinking of trying one of the Plextor’s they have there…never had one of those (overpriced) drives yet. I’ve had LG before, which also could not be used to backup my damaged DVD discs. Btw, they’re NOT physically damaged (mostly not scratches, just cheap media…or media that I burned at too high a speed at).

Anyone wise enough to know the best one at this task? I’m leaning towards the oem Plextor they have there (the one that shows a pic of a video card instead of a dvd-rw hehe).

The PX-800A is a rebadged Optiarc AD-7170A.
The PX-810SA is a rebadged Piobeer DVR-212.
The PX-755SA is the only Plextor made drive listed there.
I would look at the reviews of these drives to see how well they can read damaged/poorly recorded discs. The PX-800A will bitset +R, +RW, and +R DL.

@ yorkman,

The ISOBuster software program does an excellent good job of retrieving data from damage Media and might be worth trying ->

It should be noted if originally the data was poorly recorded (burned too fast) to the Media and/or the Media used was cheap poor quality Media no Magic Drive an/or Magic Software Program is going to effectually retrieve the data because in essence that data wasn’t ever record to the Media properly in the first place for any Magic Drive an/or Magic Software Program to attempt to retrieve the data.

Regards,
bjkg

[QUOTE=worker;1953598]Only +R and +R DL will bitset to -ROM in the Pioneer drive. +R will only bitset with an appropiate firmware.[/QUOTE]
I am pretty sure +RW did bitset to ROM on a 112D when C0deking tested my bitset patch.

[QUOTE=yorkman;1953631]OK, the winner gets a reward. I’ll ship a working LITE-ON DVD-ROM for free (within reasonable distance). Not much, but it is an insentive isn’t it?! All you need to do is help me buy a dvd-/+rw that will let me backup almost any media…read below.

Can someone suggest the BEST dvd drive I can buy for reading damaged/poorly written DVD Movies (which are on DVD-R media)? Money is no object since I have over 300 movies that have problems reading on any drive I’ve ever tried. Some do read these discs better than others, and the DVR-112D from Pioneer I’ll be returning tomorrow does a decent job, but not good enough to recover these discs.

My selection will be from the following place, and it must be an OEM drive (not retail, since I can’t return/exchange a retail drive):

http://canadacomputers.com/main.php?do=ShowProdList&cmd=pl&id=CR.184

I already own a Samsung SH-S182D and two NEC drives, all IDE and none of which is THE one. I can buy a SATA drive…but I’d rather leave my SATA ports open for extra hdd’s which I plan on using with RAID…however, if it’s the best at reading scratched/damaged dvd’s then so be it. Oh, and preferrably one that can do bitsetting on DVD+RW media, not just DVD+R or DVD+R DL.

I’m thinking of trying one of the Plextor’s they have there…never had one of those (overpriced) drives yet. I’ve had LG before, which also could not be used to backup my damaged DVD discs. Btw, they’re NOT physically damaged (mostly not scratches, just cheap media…or media that I burned at too high a speed at).

Anyone wise enough to know the best one at this task? I’m leaning towards the oem Plextor they have there (the one that shows a pic of a video card instead of a dvd-rw hehe).[/QUOTE]

Isobuster is rather poor for getting data from damaged discs. You might as well have used cdcheck to do that, since that is equally as poor.

I would highly recommend cdroller, it will use many techniques rather than brute force read the sector to grab data from damaged dvds.

[QUOTE=ala42;1953780]I am pretty sure +RW did bitset to ROM on a 112D when C0deking tested my bitset patch.[/QUOTE]
Maybe that’s a similar issue that I encounter on NEC/Optiarc drives which only set the booktype properly if the DVD+RW disc has not been written to before?

[quote=bjkg;1953767]@ yorkman,

The ISOBuster software program does an excellent good job of retrieving data from damage Media and might be worth trying ->

It should be noted if originally the data was poorly recorded (burned too fast) to the Media and/or the Media used was cheap poor quality Media no Magic Drive an/or Magic Software Program is going to effectually retrieve the data because in essence that data wasn’t ever record to the Media properly in the first place for any Magic Drive an/or Magic Software Program to attempt to retrieve the data.

Regards,
bjkg[/quote]

Well, I’m only assuming that the media is of poor quality, or that it was written to at too high of a speed. For all I know the data was written to fine (since I normally do a verify) but the disc quickly deteriorated over time. Some of these discs are 1-3 years old.

In any case…I’m currently using a very intelligent looking program called “IsoPuzzle.” It’s free. I’ve already been able to recover one dvd after a few hours. It just keeps reading the dvd, trying to recover as much data as possible. You can even use it with multiple drives and pc’s. That means that if no more data can be recovered from one drive you can then “continue” from where you left off, trying to recover only the data that you couldn’t before by using a different drive on the same pc or on another pc. Often, what one drive cannot read, another will.

Of course the cost is that it’s time consuming…and I can’t be doing this for 300+ movies.

I’ve pretty much given up the search for that magic drive that will read most of my damaged dvd’s so my search now is for that dvd-drive (doesn’t have to be a dvd-rw, could be a dvd-rom) that will read more bad sectors compared to any other drive…this would minimize the hours needed to recover the rest of the data from the disc.

Nah, unfortunately it can’t. I just found a sticky somewhere with a review on this drive, clearly saying it can’t do bitsetting on dvd+rw discs, only dvd+r and dvd+r dl. Which sucks because I have a bunch of dvd+rw discs which I use for testing on my standalone before doing a final burn on dvd-r or dvd+r. But without this support, I can only test with dvd-rw which I’d have to go out and buy, and burn all movies on dvd-r media.

I’ve noticed that all the new drives today seem to do pretty much the same job, one slightly better or worse than the other. I’m going to go out and try one or two more drives and if neither one does better at reading damaged discs then I have no choice but to try to recover the data manually using software. Because it is very time consuming doing this, I’ll have to select only my favourite dvd’s to recover manually and let the other discs R.I.P.

If I was a manufacturer of dvd drives, I’d be trying to do what no other company has been able to do so far, and that is to make a drive that can read just about any damaged discs. Because making a drive burn at 22X while the competition can burn at 20X or burn “slightly” better quality, will not be enough for me to buy theirs over the competition.

[quote=max_clif;1953784]Isobuster is rather poor for getting data from damaged discs. You might as well have used cdcheck to do that, since that is equally as poor.

I would highly recommend cdroller, it will use many techniques rather than brute force read the sector to grab data from damaged dvds.[/quote]

I’m using a new program I’ve never tried before, it’s called IsoPuzzle. I’m so impressed with it that I’m almost reluctant in trying another program as I can’t see it doing a better job…others may be faster, but I doubt they’ll recover as much data as this program can. If you saw what it does you’d believe me.

Here’s a screenshot of one of my current jobs in progress:

The red marks in the progress bar are the areas it can’t read…so it keeps looping, ejecting and loading the cd, cooling the system down or just pausing for a few seconds, and usually on a retry it is able to read that sector it couldn’t at first…then it moves on to the next sector. I’ve been able to recover one dvd already which no drive could back up. It isn’t perfect as it doesn’t recover data from all sectors (unless maybe you let it run for days) but it did well enough for my dvd movie to become playable again.

[QUOTE=yorkman;1953844]Nah, unfortunately it can’t. I just found a sticky somewhere with a review on this drive, clearly saying it can’t do bitsetting on dvd+rw discs, only dvd+r and dvd+r dl. [/QUOTE]
Do you have a link ? That must be a review if the Buffalo firmware, as the Pioneer firmware does not support bitsetting on +R at all.

Just flaSH THE 112D to 112L using Buffalo FW and it will give you the DVD-RAM and make all +R’s a DVD-ROM:doh:

I didn’t say I want DVD-RAM or +R bitsetting. I want bitsetting for +RW and I’ve alredy tried all the hacked firmwares, including Buffalo’s.

Well excuse me for trying :sad::sad:misunderstood

[QUOTE=yorkman;1953860]I’m using a new program I’ve never tried before, it’s called IsoPuzzle. I’m so impressed with it that I’m almost reluctant in trying another program as I can’t see it doing a better job…others may be faster, but I doubt they’ll recover as much data as this program can. If you saw what it does you’d believe me.

Here’s a screenshot of one of my current jobs in progress:

The red marks in the progress bar are the areas it can’t read…so it keeps looping, ejecting and loading the cd, cooling the system down or just pausing for a few seconds, and usually on a retry it is able to read that sector it couldn’t at first…then it moves on to the next sector. I’ve been able to recover one dvd already which no drive could back up. It isn’t perfect as it doesn’t recover data from all sectors (unless maybe you let it run for days) but it did well enough for my dvd movie to become playable again.[/QUOTE]

Thank you for suggesting this new toy :wink: I will give this a go for the hell of it!

[QUOTE=yorkman;1953631]OK, the winner gets a reward. I’ll ship a working LITE-ON DVD-ROM for free (within reasonable distance). Not much, but it is an insentive isn’t it?! All you need to do is help me buy a dvd-/+rw that will let me backup almost any media…read below.

Can someone suggest the BEST dvd drive I can buy for reading damaged/poorly written DVD Movies (which are on DVD-R media)? Money is no object [B]since I have over 300 movies that have problems reading on any drive I’ve ever tried.[/B] Some do read these discs better than others, and the DVR-112D from Pioneer I’ll be returning tomorrow does a decent job, [U]but not good enough to recover these discs.[/U][/QUOTE]

Well, that couldn’t be originals then. So what is the sense not to use the Originals to back up from…?

Please read the forum rules.

Bitsetting DVD+RW to DVD-ROM usually creates more problems than it could solve.

My old DVR-108 that is in my HTPC now sets DVD+RW to DVD-ROM booktype when using the Buffalo firmware. It did cause some problems with my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive recognizing the DVD+RW discs though.

[QUOTE=LivingDay;1954207]My old DVR-108 that is in my HTPC now sets DVD+RW to DVD-ROM booktype when using the Buffalo firmware. It did cause some problems with my Toshiba DVD-ROM drive recognizing the DVD+RW discs though.[/QUOTE]

And which exact firmware is on that drive?
Please post an output from “DVRFlash -v x:” here.

http://www.piodata.com/downloads/

Firmware 1.18.