DVD+RW will also be available in dual layer

vbimport

Very exciting development. More can be found here:

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8125

To bad that current DVD-writers is unable to write dual layer discs when they arrive :frowning:

Then many users is just sitting there with their single layer DVD-Writers.

Dual layer recordable discs sounds DAMN expensive to make and then to buy…

I can’t see this tech showing up anytime soon.

According to the official powerpoint presentation the article links to, the disc was written to using a standard piece of phillips hardware (new firmware/software though).

So everyone with a +R drive should be laughing - the .pdf said the media costs the same to make as a standard DVD9 - so it won’t even be that expensive!

the .pdf said the media costs the same to make as a standard DVD9 - so it won’t even be that expensive! [/B]

DVD+R is supposed to cost less than DVD-R, but DVD-R disc’s are sold cheaper.

Hehe, did you notice ?

8x + drives are in all stores and suddenly a
preliminary (2 weeks old!) A07 specification from
Pioneer gets “leaked”.

Philips announces + dual layers burning success
and the same day Pioneer’s cdrinfo lackeys
publish a two lines announcement about dual
layer - trials.

This looks like very poor and pretty desperate
marketing strategies from Pioneer to me :slight_smile:

I think we still have yet to see whether they can pull off high-speed single layer burning, I shudder to think of the consequences of dual layer in terms of reliable burning.

Originally posted by dougwright
[B]According to the official powerpoint presentation the article links to, the disc was written to using a standard piece of phillips hardware (new firmware/software though).

So everyone with a +R drive should be laughing - the .pdf said the media costs the same to make as a standard DVD9 - so it won’t even be that expensive! [/B]
This sounds very encouraging, but even if it is true, the +r/±r burner makers may not release adequate firmware to force you to buy new dual layer burners.

Just to clear some things up:

Nor the DVD+RW Alliance, nor Philips, has stated that current drives will be able to record dual layer DVD+R9 media! The PowerPoint presentation only mentions that current hardware is used to demonstrate the technology.

You need a NEW recorder to write to DVD+R9 media, however all current drives and players should be able to read dual layer DVD+R media recorded on other equipment, as it is designed to be compatible with the DVD-ROM standard.

While this issue reeks of the progress DVD
has taken over the last few years,what
big advantage does DVD9 have over the current format? Picture clarity? Better sound? In retrospect,we have those things now,and the only advantage I can think of is 2 movies on one disc,and even that is attainable with the latest DVD2One
version. So what is the real advantage over what exists besides the obvious
portable storage issue???

The PowerPoint presentation only mentions that current hardware is used to demonstrate the technology.
Jorg you seem to be contradicting yourself - you say current dvd±rw writers were used to demonstate the new media, then you say you need to buy new burners to use the new media :confused:

even that is attainable with the latest DVD2One
Not without reducing the extras/quality

Originally posted by shuebhussain
[B]Jorg you seem to be contradicting yourself - you say current dvd±rw writers were used to demonstate the new media, then you say you need to buy new burners to use the new media :confused:

Not without reducing the extras/quality [/B]

used

It seems obvious to me that current 2.4x-8x DVD+R writers will not write to dual-layer DVD+R media. They were not designed for dual-layer writing.

if current hardware can be used to burn to dvd9 as a one off demonstration, whats to stop us using current hardware all the time?

Originally posted by shuebhussain
if current hardware can be used to burn to dvd9 as a one off demonstration, whats to stop us using current hardware all the time?

Here is the PDF file captured.

Philips prototype dual-layer drive does not seem to be “current hardware” or maybe it does?