DVD-RW Recording in sequential writing mode

[qanda]This thread is about the LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I am working on a application which will do real time recording on DVD +R,-R,+RW,-RW discs.
In this application, I want to use sequential writing mode for writting on DVD -RW media. However whenever I try to write data on it I always get an error with sense key info as 05/30/05, i.e. illegal request and incompatible format for writing. Before starting write operation, I do Write mode page setting for BUFE bit =1, disabling multisession setting and writing mode is sequential writting. Can anyone please tell me what is the issue in this case ? Am I missing any step or any mode page setting before starting write operation?(I make use of minimally BLANK command operation so as to make DVD -RW available in sequential writing mode)

piyushj,

Here are some reminders.
You probably know know these things already.

------ DVD-RW Single Layer (not Dual Layer) ---------
Recording on DVD-RW SLs is very fussy compared with other DVD types.
Everything has to be just right.

Use only discs made by the manufacturers recommended by your drive.
Make sure the disc is dust & scratch free.

DVD-RWs fresh-out-of-the-box are ready to write in sequential mode.
If the disc is not brand new try fully blanking the disc and use a
dependable program like LightingUK’s ImgBurn.
But most of the time a quick blank should do it.

WPMP settings :
BUFE = True
LS_V = False
Test Write = False
Write Type = SAO/DAO = 02h
Multisession/Border = False
FP = False
Copy = False
Track Mode = Data track, recorded increment copy prohibited = 05h
Data Block Type = Mode 1 (ISO/IEC 10149) = 08h
Link Size = 0
Host Application Code = 0 = ignored
Session Format = CDDA_CDROM = 00h
Packet Size = 0
Audio Pause Length = 96h
bytes 16-51 = 0

Set recording speed

Send OPC Information (give it lots of time to execute like
up to 3 minutes although it probably won’t need that much
time)

Reserve a track the size (in bytes) of the ISO file using the
Reserve Track command “Size Mode”.

Real-time recording requires Write12 with Set Streaming bit set
You could also set the Write Cache Enable = True in the Cache mode page.
Or you can use Write10 instead and not bother with the above.

Recording always starts at LBA 0 and is sequential and must be UNinterupted to the last byte of the ISO file.

After the last byte has been written, call Synchronize Cache command with
NON-IMMED to ensure all data has been flushed to the disc.

That’s it. No need to use Close Track on DVD-RW single layers in
DAO sequential.

bilm

hi all,
thanks for the reply.

I am writing my own application for writting on Dvds.I have following difficulties with the approach that u suggested:

1. I can not select disc at once(DAO) write mode because I want to write on this media for real time recording in Dvd Video format, so I should be able to write the disc in incremental order
  2. For this reason, I want to create 2 RZones(2 tracks) on disc so that i can write file system in first RZone(with size of 32MB, starting at LBA 0) only at finalization time and use second RZone for actual recordings

I didn’t know you were recording DVD-VIDEO (UDF Bridge).
DVD-RW using DAO sequential claims full compatibility with DVD-ROM-Video.
Not true with Incremental sequential. It’s possible with incremental but more difficult. I have never tried it with video but I do it all the time with data. My reading of MtFuji specs tells me DVD video is done differently than
data. Why bother with all that ?

Here is what I do. After I have ripped or authored a video to a DVD folder on my hard drive (AUDIO_TS, VIDEO_TS folders, with IFO/BUP and VOB files), I wrap it in a standard ISO file. Several freeware programs can do this. You can use InfraRecorder which is a front-end for cdrecord. There are others or write your own.

I burn the ISO to a DVD-RW in DAO sequential with Write12 and Streaming set just like a plain data ISO. For DLs you may need to set the layer break point so it lands on a cell boundry. I have not tried it but these programs can do it for you.

The DVDs play as good as the original on my old livingroom standalone
DVD player. If it plays on that thing it’ll play on anything.
What is your reason for choosing incremental ?

bilm

piyushj,

you said,
"(I make use of minimally BLANK command operation so as to make DVD-RW available in sequential writing mode)"

Minimal BLANK will not work.
“Incremental sequential record mode requires a ‘Full Blanking’ as it cannot write with a lead-out present on the disc.” This may be the reason you are getting the 5/30/5 incompatible format error.

Also do you include the size of the Linking Loss Area when you do a reserve track command for track 1 ? And for track 2 ?

bilm

piyushj,

“2. For this reason, I want to create 2 RZones(2 tracks) on disc so that i can write file system in first RZone(with size of 32MB, starting at LBA 0) only at finalization time and use second RZone for actual recordings.”

If you are determined to record DVD Video using incremental & not DAO
then understand it is not a multi-session operation. It is a single session
with multiple tracks (2 RZones).

Therefore in your 1st post when you say, "disabling multisession setting"
this is wrong. You must record the 1st track (32MB file system) with multisession set to 11b so the session remains appendable. After you close track 1 and are ready to record track 2, then set multi-session to 00b, write the user data (video) to disc then close it (track 2). Use Close Function 001b for closing the tracks and then close the session (session 1) with Close Function 010b.

Also in the WPMP :
LS_V = True
Link Size = 1 (2KB) or 16 (32KB)
Incremental recording uses linking.
Link Size is the size of the Linking Loss Area.
16 = larger overhead but greater error protection
1 = the opposite

And you must add the size of the Linking Loss Area to the value you use
when you reserve each track. This is another possible reason for your
5/30/5 incompatible format error although that error still does not make
sense (no pun intended) given the info you have provided so far.

bilm