DVD+RW reading as DVD-ROM

vbimport

Things have gone a little screwy with my pc lately and the latest is my DVD+RW. I have a Philips DVD1660P1. I’ve used several different media in the past, Philips TDK & Memorex all +RW, however all are currently displaying the same info. I try to either record over them or erase using Alcohol 120, Nero 7 Ultra & DVDInfoPro and they all say insert a blank media or that the disk is not recordable. I’ve just updated the driver. I’ve unplugged the power cable and IDE connection and reconnected with no result.

Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

In Alcohol, look for a setting called something like “Ignore Media Type” (I think it’s under one of the Emulation settings, you might have to poke a bout a bit) - make sure the option is unchecked.

If that doesn’t help, try uninstalling Alcohol completely and see if the discs are recognised properly (hopefully won’t come to that, though).

Good luck :slight_smile:

Although I am not a firm believer in updating firmware-it IS possible that the 1660’s is corrupted. Then again, could be your software. Some programs don’t like each other a whole lot and can cause strange erros. Is it possible for you to remove ALL but one of your burning programs and see what happens? Personally, I amnow a huge fan of Ashampoo Burning Studio and suggest that you test drive the trial and see if that solves the problem. Keep in mind that Nero uses InCD and that is known to cause issues at times.
Hope this idea helps

welcome to the forums

can you uninstall the IDE drivers from device manager (secondary channel) and reboot.

you’ll find it here

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=1653074&postcount=2

i’m sure your burner is a rebadged BenQ 1650, i had one and reflashed it to the benq :slight_smile:

You’ll need to do a full erase or format on these disks and also ensure that bitsetting is not set for the +RW media type. This might either be a burner setting or an application setting.

Nero’s CD-DVD speed or ImgBurn might be able to do it although if DVDInfo Pro fails to do you might be rather stuck.

Edit: Well I didn’t expect to get beaten by so many other posts. As suggested Alcohol could be the problem.

ImgBurn often works where others have failed, good call :iagree:

@BJ - it is, I crossflashed mine :slight_smile:

LOL Tim, we all posted at once :bigsmile:

As BJ reports this is a rebadged Benq 1650. Likewise I flashed my 1660p1 to to the Benq as did Arachne with her 2 as I recall. Well worth it.

Edit: This is now getting silly, I’m backing of for a few minutes. :bigsmile:

I’ve just picked myself up off the floor. Thanks for all your help guys. I’ll try each proposal and hopefully get there if not I’ll let you guys know. but thanks again for you advice.

Hehe, hope one of them works, gripper_1 - that’s one good thing about everyone posting at once - with so many suggestions, one of them is sure to work :bigsmile:

…hello all…
…i didn’t want to open a new thread since my problem is of the same nature…
…so…i got a philips dvdr1660p1 writer which does not read or burn DVDs…it reads CDs just fine…
…i’m running Vista and using Nero 8…

…if some1 could explain me how to flash it to Benq or any other less drastic measure…
…thx a lot…

posted a thread similar to this one…

mine is being recognised as a cdrom.

how to i flash (or is it cross flash) my dvd+rw?

thanx to all’ya

[QUOTE=robasta;1971760]posted a thread similar to this one…

mine is being recognised as a cdrom.

how to i flash (or is it cross flash) my dvd+rw?

thanx to all’ya[/QUOTE]

you can try to uninstall the secondary IDE channel in device manager and reboot.

that way it’ll install MS drivers and find your dvdrw

[QUOTE=djukica;1971451]…hello all…
…i didn’t want to open a new thread since my problem is of the same nature…
…so…i got a philips dvdr1660p1 writer which does not read or burn DVDs…it reads CDs just fine…
…i’m running Vista and using Nero 8…

…if some1 could explain me how to flash it to Benq or any other less drastic measure…
…thx a lot…[/QUOTE]

have a good read of this thread, note the crossflashing section

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/benq-how-flasher-171380/

note, that this is for a different benq drive so the firmware is different from yours.

Hi all,

I am new to this forum, but I have an old problem, which is exaclty the one in the title of this topic.
Every DVD-RW/+RW that I burn with my burner is then seen as DVD-ROM and cannot be deleted. Any DVD-RW/+RW burned somewhere else gives the same problem.
I have an “optiarc” dvd burner (should be NEC), whit SATA II interface, with Windows XP SP2. The same drive, used under Window Vista (I have two partitions and two OS on the same machine) works perfectly and DVD recongized as DVD-ROM under Windows XP are correctly shown as DVD-RW/+RW under Vista.

I have Alcohol installed under XP. I tried all possible settings and even uninstalling it without success. No burning program is able to recognize correctly the inserted media once it has been burned. I have to erase the written disks from Vista (which means restarting system twice because I’m not actually using it). I guess it might be a problem of XP drivers for Sata II burners. I tried to uninstall drivers but nothing changed (actually XP recognizes the same driver).

As I said it is an old problem, but now it is becoming quite unbearable since I have discovered that my (new) laptop is experiencing the same problem. The same disks run on another laptop instead work fine! Both run Windows XP SP2 and both DO NOT have Alcohol installed and have Sonic software.

I tried also other tools like DVDinfotool or something like that, but without success. It is not a problem of media book type, is the burnere that reads it wrong.

Any suggestion?

Hi, finally I have figured it out: it’s the daemon tools emulation options. I haven’t tested exactly which option, but at least one of them, if activated, masks the DVD book type.
I discovered it by chance because, as I wrote, under Vista it was working, till today, when I just installed the daemon tools!!

This is just FYI :slight_smile: