DVD-RW purchase advice needed

vbimport

this site has never failed me in the past as far as CD/DVD burner and media info and is the first place I go to for advice…I’m going to be building a new PC next week and am looking for the best internal SATA DVD-RW drive…I’m looking for 2 drives, one which delivers high quality writes/burns and reads with no issues and another one to which can be used mainly to scan my media

I currently have the Sony Optiarc AD-7240S-0B and the Lite-On LH-20A1L-06…I always heard that Lite-On drives are the best scanners…does this still apply?

looking around the forums it seems the Optiarc is still a quality burner…is there a better one available (7241S)?..my Lite-On seems kinda old so I’m sure there are better ones currently available

I’m currently using Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD+R media for my burning needs

can anyone give me some recommendations…thanks in advance

If you don’t want to spend any money your combination of drives is a good one. The only thing the Optiarc 7241S brings to the table your 7240S doesn’t is the 7241 has LightScribe. Everything else is the same.

Lite-On drives are arguably the best scanners today. The Optiarc drives can scan, but they don’t scan for as many variables the Lite-On drives do & the only other drives that could scan well, BenQ drives, have disappeared from the market.

You may be able to cut your two optical drives down to one if you like what the forum is saying about the new Lite-On IHASx24 drives. They are turning out to be very good readers, burners, and scanners all in one drive. And as an added bonus, with SmartBurn those drives will burn Taiyo Yuden TG02 professional media at 16x.

The only warning about the IHASx24 drives right now is that you have to be careful when you buy. Half of them are just re-badged Optiarcs rather than true-blue Lite-On drives.

thanks for the advice…good to know my current Optiarc is still an excellent drive…I think I’m going to keep the Optiarc 7240S (as I never use Lightscribe anyway)…but I would like to buy another Lite-On drive to use mainly as a scanner…if I were to buy the IHASx24 how would I know if its a legit Lite-On or a rebadged Optiarc?

I’m in the USA just in case that matters

Hi,

If your Litey still works, then you already have a scanner. The newer drives aren’t better scanners.
Also, I want to mention that your Optiarc is preferred for scanning CD material. Liteon DVD writers don’t do this job good enough - they are semi blind here.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2501040]Hi,

If your Litey still works, then you already have a scanner. The newer drives aren’t better scanners.
Also, I want to mention that your Optiarc is preferred for scanning CD material. Liteon DVD writers don’t do this job good enough - they are semi blind here.

Michael[/QUOTE]

thanks for the info…I assumed since my Lite-On is at least 2-3 years old that a better one would be available…since most DVD-RW drives are so cheap nowadays I figured buying another one wouldn’t hurt…but if I already have 2 excellent drives then I might just keep what I have

[QUOTE=TitusTroy;2501065]thanks for the info…I assumed since my Lite-On is at least 2-3 years old that a better one would be available…since most DVD-RW drives are so cheap nowadays I figured buying another one wouldn’t hurt…but if I already have 2 excellent drives then I might just keep what I have[/QUOTE]Michael is right, you have a pretty good combo already :). I would only add that you could gain more robust DL scanning ability and a very nice DL/SL burner with an iHASX24. And to get the true Litey, you will nedd to find a supplier that has stock of the -08 or -09 versions. The -98’s are Optiarcs. Do be certain to verify with the supplier ahead of time that they will send you the correct model. And you might want to hurry, they’re goin fast. Newegg just had some that have sold out very quickly :(.

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2501153]Michael is right, you have a pretty good combo already :). I would only add that you could gain more robust DL scanning ability and a very nice DL/SL burner with an iHASX24.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you echoed my opinion exactly. After having messed around with my IHAS424-08 for a few days I don’t think I would trade it for any other drive on the market…except maybe an IHAS624-08. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2501167]Glad to see you echoed my opinion exactly. After having messed around with my IHAS424-08 for a few days I don’t think I would trade it for any other drive on the market…except maybe an IHAS624-08. :)[/QUOTE]
I’ve mentioned elsewhere that if I were forced to give up all my drives but one :eek:, that one would be the iHAS324 A(though I’d be cryin’ like a baby as my BenQ’s were wrestled away from me :bigsmile:). IMHO the iHASX24’s are simply one of the best darn all-around DVD burning/scanning machines to ever come along :iagree:.

anyone have a link from a reputable site where I can buy the IHAS424-08 or -09 in the USA?

I checked a few sites and no one seems to have it in stock

TitusTroy, try here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211569104

You can read about my ‘odyssey’ here:

http://club.myce.com/f44/lite-ihas424-08-journey-word-thanks-308905/

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2501425]TitusTroy, try here:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=211569104[/QUOTE]

thanks…I bought the IHAS424-08 today from that link… :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=TitusTroy;2502029]thanks…I bought the IHAS424-08 today from that link… :)[/QUOTE]

I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you have as good an experience as I did with that merchant!

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2502049]I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you have as good an experience as I did with that merchant![/QUOTE]

I hope so too…hopefully they will send me the IHAS424-08 without me specifically asking for it via e-mail…I just purchased it directly through them without any questions as the model # states that it is the-08 model

Can anyone confirm that the Lite-On iHAS 424-08 works with a tool like Nero Drive Speed? I’m looking for a CD/DVD-RW drive for my HTPC, so I want to be able to slow down the read speed for quiet movie play back. I’d prefer to not have to mess with flashing firmware so I’m looking for a drive that allows me to set the read speed out of the box.

[QUOTE=Innuendo;2502049]I’ll keep my fingers crossed that you have as good an experience as I did with that merchant![/QUOTE]

I received my IHAS424-08 today and everything was just as described…I received the true Lite-On drive and not a rebranded Optiarc one…I’m assuming the way to tell if it’s a legit Lite-On is by checking for the SmartErase logo on the front of the drive (which mine has)

thanks everyone for the advice on choosing a quality DVD-RW drive…thanks as well to Innuendo for the link to buy the -08 drive

TitusTroy and/or Innuendo

Can either of you verify that Nero DriveSpeed (or some other tool) allows you to set the read speed on this drive with the original firmware?

[QUOTE=miltos;2503804]TitusTroy and/or Innuendo

Can either of you verify that Nero DriveSpeed (or some other tool) allows you to set the read speed on this drive with the original firmware?[/QUOTE]

I’m building a new system with the IHAS424-08 and all the parts have not arrived yet…hopefully Innuendo or someone else can give you a quick answer

[QUOTE=miltos;2503804]TitusTroy and/or Innuendo

Can either of you verify that Nero DriveSpeed (or some other tool) allows you to set the read speed on this drive with the original firmware?[/QUOTE]
Yes, it appears to be compatible with drivespeed. I think its unlikely you will find a need to resort to it. It is a reasonably quiet drive to begin with. My drive is very quiet during video playback.

Ugh. I thought I had snagged one at 50clock.com, but I put a note in the “special instructions” field that I wanted the -08 and not the -98. They called me today saying that their most recent batch was the -98 because the -08 is discontinued.

Anyone have an alternative drive to recommend (or know where I can snag on -08)? I’m looking for a quiet drive for my HTPC that can read/burn all common formats and has LightScribe. Ideally the drive’s read speed could be set with Nero DriveSpeed without flashing the firmware.

Well, I was going to point you to the same place I pointed TitusTroy, but it looks like they are now out of stock. When I was searching there was only one other business I found that had them in stock, but looking at there site they no longer list that drive, either.

The only other place I found these drives was eBay, but even that source has dried up. If you’re lucky Newegg will get some more stock in. Failing that, you’ll probably have to set your sites on an IHAS524 or IHAS624 (if they ever get released).