DVD RW not recognised

Hi guys im brand new here, trying to get an answer to my question which i hope you can help with. Im trying to fix my mums PC, it had a lot of virus’ and spyware on it so i did a fresh install of Windows XP SP2. Everything was fine until i tried to burn ANYTHING, whether using WMP, Nero, Express Burn…nothing recognises the drive they all say im trying to use an image recorder whether im using a CDR or DVD-R. Iv gone into device manager and it all says its working correctly, iv tried updating the drivers but it says iv got the most up to date ones. I uninstalled the drivers, messed it up and Windows couldnt find the drive full stop so i deleted the upper and lower filters and it found it again but still whenever i try and burn anything whatever program i use says its an image recorder. The drive is a Sony DVD RW DW-Q28A (i know this off by heart now iv typed it into google so many times!) The pc is just a cheap Medion one, I dont wanna have to buy a new pc but if worst comes to the worst i may have to buy a new DVD RW drive…does anyone think they can help me fix this one first? Thanks in advance

@ DjTricKy,

Welcome to the Forum.

You do not have to purchase a new Computer or a new CD/DVD Burner because of the “Trying To Use An Image Recorder” narrative notice you are receiving.

You have some type of Virtual Drive, Disk Image Emulating, and/or ISO Imaging software program installed on your Computer. That is why you are receiving the “Trying To Use An Image Recorder” narrative notice.

Suggest fully and completely removing ALL Virtual Drive, Disk Image Emulating, and/or ISO Imaging software programs from your Computer.

Then after removing ALL Virtual Drive, Disk Image Emulating, and/or ISO Imaging software programs from your Computer then remove any and all CD/DVD Burning software programs that are installed on your Coumputer. Then reboot your computer.

After removing all the above Software Programs and rebooting your computer for troubleshooting then install the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program. After installing the ImgBurn (http://www.imgburn.com) software program Burn a Disk. After Burning a Disk then post the ImgBurn Log File for analysis.

Regards,
bjkg

Hi sorry about this, but how do i know if i have any virtual drives, disk image emulating and/or ISO imaging software pograms? I only recently re-installed Windows so wouldnt have installed any programs like that to my knowledge…thanks :bigsmile:

@ DjTricKy,

Even if you have “Only Recently Re-installed Windows” whatever CD/DVD Burning software programs you have installed after “Only Recently Re-installed Windows” one of these CD/DVD Burning software programs has an “Image Recorder” component included in the software program. That is why you are receiving the “Trying To Use An Image Recorder” narrative notice.

You need to thoroughly and completely review each and every one of the CD/DVD Burning software programs you have installed and either remove the “Image Recorder” component of the offending software program or thoroughly and completely remove the entire offending software program.

Once again you do not have to purchase a new Computer or a new CD/DVD Burner because of the “Trying To Use An Image Recorder” narrative notice you are receiving. You simply need to either disable and/or remove whatever “Image Recorder” software program that is installed on the Computer.

It should be noted if you perchance do purchase another new CD/DVD Burner for the subject Computer if you fail to either disable and/or remove whatever “Image Recorder” software program that is installed on the Computer you will still be receiving the “Trying To Use An Image Recorder” narrative notice.

Regards,
bjkg