DVD-RW multisession questions

vbimport

Does anyone know if burning multiple sessions to DVD-RW using cdrkit in Linux is problematic, or if multisession DVD-RW discs themselves are problematic?

Also, how much space is “lost” per session on a DVD-RW disc? I understand it’s about 13MB for the first session and 4-5MB per additional session on CD-RW. I’m looking for similar features on DVD-RW.

Multisession for some reason I’m not able to explain basically never worked with DVDs, but it works only with CDs.

Moreover, rewritable media are not that reliable, so trying a multisession (that it is unreliable per se) on an unreliable disc is not a good idea :eek:

As geno888 points out, multisession and RW media are problematic. I’ve played around with multisession on DVD +RW using K3b. As for overehead, I don’t know, but multisession on RW media is not the same as on R media, part of the existing file system is overwritten. In my opinion it’s not worth doing. Just my $.02

Here’s why I ask. I’m preparing to write some software for the testing of optical drives for a computer recycling organization. To test CD write function, my plan is to write a session that (including lead-in and lead-out) is about 1/20th of the space on disc, then verify that it was written correctly. This allows each disc to test 20 drives before it must be blanked, and evens the wear of the rewritable layer across the entire surface of the disc.

I’d like to do something similar with DVD-RW or DVD+RW media. Anybody have any suggestions? :slight_smile:

DVD+RW is designed for multi-session use, so I would suggest using those instead - I’d say they work even better than CD-R/RW for such use.

I can’t speak for how well cdrkit handles multi-session, DVD+RW, or anything else for that matter.

Well, play around with K3b, it’s just a gui frontend for growisofs and/or try Brasero, it does multi-session also. Good luck.

Awesome, thanks so much. I will reverse my stance on using DVD-RW rather than DVD+RW and report back once I’ve done some tests – need to pick up some media tonight if I can :slight_smile:

You do realize that a CD/DVD burner uses two separate lasers, one for CD and another for DVD? To be 100% certain that a burner is functioning properly, you would really need to test both a CD and a DVD. Just a thought.

[QUOTE=Whappo;2476903]You do realize that a CD/DVD burner uses two separate lasers, one for CD and another for DVD? To be 100% certain that a burner is functioning properly, you would really need to test both a CD and a DVD. Just a thought.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the spec for the software includes a rewritable CD test as well.

I hope I am correct in assuming that DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW use the same laser.

[QUOTE=neurophyre;2476908]Yep, the spec for the software includes a rewritable CD test as well.

I hope I am correct in assuming that DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW use the same laser.[/QUOTE]

Yes.