DVD-RW Formatting

I bought some Memorex DVD-RW’s and want to transfer some pictures for storage from my H/D to the DVD’s. I am using Windows Vista. When I go to burn the pictures from my files to the DVD a message comes up that says “prepare this blank disc” when I hit next it says it has to format the disc and it could take a long time. Is this normal? Do all discs need to be formatted before you can use them? Thanks for any help you can offer. As you can see I’m a novice at this.

Do you have a packet writing software installed in your computer? Something like Nero InCD? If yes, I suggest to remove this software from your computer, or to disable and never use it.

These software are so buggy that most of times you’ll loose all the data burned on the disc in a short time.

Usually it is not needed to format a rewritable disc (except when using a software like InCD), but personally I prefer to do a FULL erase of all new RW discs before to write data on them. I use ImgBurn to run the FULL erase.

However, rewritable media (Memorex branded disc mostly) are not the safest place where to put data. If you want a reliable solution, then I suggest to use write once quality media only (like Verbatim), or, if you absolutely need a rewritable disc, to use a RAM disc.

For a rewritable support, also flash memories can be a good solution, they are certainly more reliable than a rewritable DVD.

I was able to move the pictures using Windows Media Player sucessfully but when it plays them back I’m only able to see them as a slide show, nt as an album.

I don’t have NERO installed. Are some brands of discs better than others? I probably don’t really need the RW feature as I really just want to store pictures so I don’t lose them if I have H/D failure. This has happened to me in the past unfortunately. Is it safe to use an external drive for back-up for data, which is hat I do now? I only back up my e-mail and a financial program.

In full agreement with Geno here :iagree:…I have a lot of documents relating to our forum stored on a DVD-RAM disc and it’s been stable for going on 3-4 years now. But as a rule, I use Verbatim DVD+R, and it hasn’t let me down yet :wink:

[QUOTE=geno888;2311111]
Usually it is not needed to format a rewritable disc (except when using a software like InCD), but personally I prefer to do a FULL erase of all new RW discs before to write data on them.[/QUOTE]

That’s interesting Geno - usually I just take my RWs (Verbatim of course!) out of the pack and use them. Any reason for the initial full-erase? :slight_smile:

EDIT: I also use an external HDD for archiving, as well as Verbatim +Rs as I mentioned. But I’d say it’s a good idea to also have a backup stored on + or -R (HDDs can can fail obviously, as can optical media - so a backup on each at least gives you a fighting chance I’d say) :slight_smile:

[really really really late reply to the initial post, due to a heavily taxed internet connection]

Actually, Windows Vista sort of does do something like packet writing, so I’d advise to avoid using that built-in engine, as well. It can take a good bit of time, and the outcome isn’t always the best for use with multiple computers.

Oh, and a side tip: I’d really recommend that you do not trust any of the RW media as a long-term storage option over using the hard drive; if anything, use the write-once media types [DVD+R, DVD-R, or CD-R are probably your best bet]. Of course, if this is only for a short term temporary transfer, then that’ll be OK.

I’d rather use some of the free or paid burning utilities like ImgBurn for simple drag-and-drop burning. Using these, you can verify that the drive being used can read your written data in that instant, which is pretty useful if you are trying to archive data.

One last side tip, if you must use any Memorex media in the future: I’d advise against using Memorex’s RW media period. That goes for DVD+RW, DVD-RW, and CD-RW. Also, some of their DVD+R media is kind of a 50/50 shot at being good and bad, so I’d stick with their DVD-R. The plain CD-R is also OK.

[late addition] DVD-RAM is also a good choice. Much better than the plain RW formats. Just not easy to find in your average WalMart. :doh:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2311123]That’s interesting Geno - usually I just take my RWs (Verbatim of course!) out of the pack and use them. Any reason for the initial full-erase? :)[/QUOTE]

Running a full erase is something I usually do not only for brand new discs, but also for RW discs that are not used for some time.

I’m not saying that is absolutely needed to do this, but it is something I always do.

Because of the “rewritable” nature of these discs, it is possible that some area are not exactly ready for the writing (for example, if discs are not correctly stored in the store). So the full erase is a nice way to completely “reset” all the disc surface to the empty status.

I like to think (it is only a personal thought :flower:) that running a full erase with Imgburn is in some way like do a full format of an used HDD before to write data on it :slight_smile:

Maybe the truth is that I’m a little too picky :bigsmile:

Just a note if you try to open a blank disc in Vista with Windows Explorer it will always ask to format the disc.Either Live or Mastered.On an RW you can just let it do the format.
I usually select mastered.Most burning software will do an erase before burning anyway.

[QUOTE=geno888;2311654]Running a full erase is something I usually do not only for brand new discs, but also for RW discs that are not used for some time.

I’m not saying that is absolutely needed to do this, but it is something I always do.

Because of the “rewritable” nature of these discs, it is possible that some area are not exactly ready for the writing (for example, if discs are not correctly stored in the store). So the full erase is a nice way to completely “reset” all the disc surface to the empty status.

I like to think (it is only a personal thought :flower:) that running a full erase with Imgburn is in some way like do a full format of an used HDD before to write data on it :slight_smile:

Maybe the truth is that I’m a little too picky :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]

I gotcha, thanks for explaining :flower:…gotta admit I’m still too lazy to do that though :bigsmile:

As for you being picky. Never. :stuck_out_tongue:

Picky me?

@cholla
I wonder if that feature can be disabled in some way (I don’t know for sure because I don’t have Vista). Did you try to right click on the drive and check properties?

[QUOTE=geno888;2311740]Picky me?
@cholla
I wonder if that feature can be disabled in some way (I don’t know for sure because I don’t have Vista). Did you try to right click on the drive and check properties?[/QUOTE]
Actually I hadn’t checked as it’s not really a problem for me.Just a minor annoyance.
I did check & there is nothing in properties to disable that.