DVD-RW for LiteOn 832S

vbimport

Hello

Since my standalone DVD is having problems with DVD+RW medias, I am looking for a good -RW media. Which one would you recommend, I mean, which one produces the best results written @ 4x?
I already searched the forum, but I didn’t found any DVD-RW media test written on a LiteOn 8… series drive. I found a K-Probe check of a RITEK004V11, but there was nothing mentioned about a brand.
If there are already threads about this topic, please post a link and excuse me being blind and unable to use the search feature correctly :wink:

Know what you mean… Graphics are not searchanble and everyone posts the scans which makes it useless unless they also enter the dvdinfo text with it.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=101871&page=3&pp=25

Well, thanks for the link, but I couldn’t find the information I was looking for. All I found where DVD-RW written @2x. I don’t want to wait half an hour, just to see, if an authored DVD works on my standalone as expected or not.

Have you tried setting the booktype of your +RW to -ROM. Use KProbe’s “Tools” menu and select “Bit Setting”. If you are using VS08 or later you can change the booktype without even reburning the disc. :wink:

Yup, I already tried the bitsetting. It didn’t work. According to the manual, DVD+R/W medias are not supported. I already read, that it supports the DL media, but only without bitsetting (booktype +R).

I have had great results with the Ricoh 4X DVD+RW’s (as I have with Ricoh JP-1 normal DVD+R’s as well).

They also worked just as well with my older 411@811 as well. I constantly use the RW’s quite a bit for computer data storage on a regular basis & have never had a problem with them as of yet.

Philips041 4X works OK in 812S:

Hmm…
Topic starter is having problem with his standalone compatibility, not his DVDRW burner.

MrGroover, make search HERE and HERE :wink:

I’ve a Panasonic DMR-E60 and according to the manual only DVD-RAM/DVD-R media are supported. Nevertheless +R/+RW media work OK with DVD-ROM booktype…, then I suppose that your standalone DVD doesn’t like DVD-ROM type.

Verbatim 4X -RW (MCC 01RW4X) or TDK 4X -RW (TDK601SAKU) can be a good choice.

:rolleyes:

To my knowledge DVD-ROM is universal format, ie a DVD+R/+RW booktyped to DVD-ROM should play on “all” standalones.

But as always, I might be wrong…

Well, my JVC is kinda wierd if it comes to DVD+R or DVD-ROM booktype. On the forum I found a note that it will playback the DL media without setting the booktype to ROM, just leave it as +R. So I guess it will like a DVD+R booktype rather than the DVD-ROM one. I haven’t tested it yet, I just don’t want to waste the media to test some tiny things I authored. And since a Philips and a Ricoh +RW media didin’t work, I’m now looking for a -RW one.
@panoramixx I already have one of those disks (Philips041) and since it is a +RW it doesn’t work on my standalone, but I’ll see how good the -RW ones are you mentioned.

Hehe. That’s what one would think…

I have a standalone that will refuse to play +R. Once I booktype it to -ROM, it plays fine. Ironically, it WILL play a +RW, and it will not play a +RW booktyped to -ROM. Incidentally, my laptop’s slim drive (LiteOn LSC-24082K) will make strange sounds when reading a +RW set to -ROM, but once I change the disc back to +RW using instant +RW bitsetting, my laptop drive plays it smoothly again without any strange sounds.

So my guess is that perhaps different reading strategies are used for +RW and that setting +RW to -ROM can, in some cases, be detrimental? :confused:

Just for your interest: Today I bought a Verbatim 4x DVD-RW (MCC 01RW4X) and I tested it. I had an aweful burn @4x (PIs between 300 and 400) and my standalone refused to read the disk :frowning:
Then I burned the same data, but now @2x. The KProbe looked much better. PI max was at 18. Guess what: my standalone accepted the disc and read it fine.
Now I thought, what will happen if I burn the +RW medias I have at @2.4x which is the slowes supported speed? Well, I did so and both, the PHILIPS-041 and the RICOHJPN-W11, were read fine and without any problems.
The last thing I tested was bitsetting. I tested both +RW disk with ROM and RW booktype and in both cases they were read fine…
Impatient me… If I knew it before, I wouldn’t have spent all the money for re-writable disks :slight_smile:

But what I experienced, just from the little testing: the 832S is having problems in writing a fine DVD-RW, at least the one I tested :expressionless: