Dvd+-rw Dw-q58a

vbimport

Recently my DW-Q58A has stopped working. I have been researching the problem and have not come up with anything. So anybody with any idea about whats going on would be much appreciated
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop, I use DVD shrink, DVD HD FabDecreypter, and Imgburn to burn my DVDs. I also use my dell media experience to watch my movies.

So heres the problem, when I play regular DVDs (non-burned) the sound and picture skips really bad. You would think “oh it’s just scratched” but thats not the case. The sound and picture skips on every, even brand new free of smudges and scratches, regular DVD. I can still watch my burned DVDs without skips in picture and sound!

Also, my burning time has increased to about 4hrs!! instead of the 28min. DVD shrink time has also increased to about 3hours instead of 30 min!

I experimented and took a regular dvd that the sound and picture skipped and burned it with the incredibly long wait time. It worked! I can watch the newly burned DVD free of skips.

What is going on?

[quote=shortstack;2005699]Recently my DW-Q58A has stopped working. I have been researching the problem and have not come up with anything. So anybody with any idea about whats going on would be much appreciated
I have a Dell Inspiron E1505 laptop, I use DVD shrink, DVD HD FabDecreypter, and Imgburn to burn my DVDs. I also use my dell media experience to watch my movies.

So heres the problem, when I play regular DVDs (non-burned) the sound and picture skips really bad. You would think “oh it’s just scratched” but thats not the case. The sound and picture skips on every, even brand new free of smudges and scratches, regular DVD. I can still watch my burned DVDs without skips in picture and sound!

[B]Also, my burning time has increased to about 4hrs!! instead of the 28min. DVD shrink time has also increased to about 3hours instead of 30 min! [/B]

I experimented and took a regular dvd that the sound and picture skipped and burned it with the incredibly long wait time. It worked! I can watch the newly burned DVD free of skips.

What is going on?[/quote]
Try and see what UDMA Mode you are in. If your drive has slipped into PIO the times will be hours, if so change it back to UDMA2 and you should be fine.

alan <3 is my hero!

yeah do as Alan says and also what is the media code for the discs you are using. You can check the MID using a free tool Nero CD-DVD Speed 4.7.7.15 you can get here > http://www.cdspeed2000.com/ Pop one of your discs in and open that free app up then click on the Disc Info tab.

By the way i have that same drive in my Vaio lappy.

Edit:
I read your post wrong. Now i understand the problem well sorta. Check your UDMA like Alan said and if you want to check your discs.

I’m not sure why the read problem is though…could be UDMA also. The long burn time is probably UDMA in PIO mode.

How do I check that?

How to Check/Enable DMA [by Womble]: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

Ok, I checked my DMA and it was working in my primary IDE channel but on PIO in my secondary. Should I force it to DMA in my secondary IDE?

Yes. Right-click the Secondary IDE channel in Device Manager, and hit Uninstall.

Reboot, and Windows will re-detect it and the drive(s) on it. Now the Current Transfer Mode should be UDMA Mode x (where x is a number). :slight_smile:

Sweet, it worked!:bow: Now I will try to burn and see how it goes. I am learning so much about my computer because of this site and the people on it, it’s great.

Yeah, I’ve learned a lot here (and still learning!) :slight_smile:

Glad it worked, happy burning :wink:

I got it I did the uninstall then reboot and it plays like new.

Thanks.