Dvd-rw dvr-115D

not sure if this post in the right category or the right product tab or even the right part of this forum but anyway well hi i am currently pulling out hair and mashing the keyboard :a because of this dvd burner awhile ago this dvd drive (dvd-rw dvr-115D) started playing up as in would get thru half of the burning process and then stop but i ignored it as i it was only occasionally then it slowly got worse for some reason lately it wont even start it goes to write lead in has a little bit of action (ie the kb/s bar starts going then goes to 0kb/s then stops) and ruins another one of my expensive sony dvd-r’s the program becomes non responsive as does my computer and i have to manually restart the bloody thing the program i use is imgbrn i have allways used it since i got this player i tried switching to a few different programs ie nero and have the same problem i havnt changed anything that i know of i even upgraded the drivers when that didnt work i deleted them then reinstalled the upgraded ones that didnt work tried installing the original drivers and of course no sucess so i guess i want to know shall i give up and buy a new one :confused: ?(btw wont be pioneer this time ima sticking to sony)

ps i also have avg security suite checked for nasty spyware

thanking you in advance
Anita

Try checking the DMA status of the drive. Here is a guide for doing just that…click on the link in my signature just below this line.

By the way, the most important part to look for is Current Transfer Mode. I believe it should be Ultra DMA 4 for this drive.

i have 2 primary IDE channels and 2 secondary IDE channels <<<<<that doesnt sound right to me ? all are set to DMA if available but the first Primary IDE channel has its current transfer mode set to ultra dma mode 5

[QUOTE=anitabonghit;2230545]i have 2 primary IDE channels and 2 secondary IDE channels <<<<<that doesnt sound right to me ? all are set to DMA if available [B]but the first Primary IDE channel has its current transfer mode set to ultra dma mode 5[/B][/QUOTE]

Should be for a harddisk.
What devices are in the computer?

:stuck_out_tongue: yeah it is a hard disk drive took me awhile to figure that one out

[QUOTE=anitabonghit;2230535]not sure if this post in the right category or the right product tab or even the right part of this forum but anyway well hi i am currently pulling out hair and mashing the keyboard :a because of this dvd burner awhile ago this dvd drive (dvd-rw dvr-115D) started playing up as in would get thru half of the burning process and then stop but i ignored it as i it was only occasionally then it slowly got worse for some reason lately it wont even start it goes to write lead in has a little bit of action (ie the kb/s bar starts going then goes to 0kb/s then stops) and ruins another one of my expensive sony dvd-r’s the program becomes non responsive as does my computer and i have to manually restart the bloody thing the program i use is imgbrn i have allways used it since i got this player i tried switching to a few different programs ie nero and have the same problem i havnt changed anything that i know of i even upgraded the drivers when that didnt work i deleted them then reinstalled the upgraded ones that didnt work tried installing the original drivers and of course no sucess so i guess i want to know shall i give up and buy a new one :confused: ?[B](btw wont be pioneer this time ima sticking to sony) [/B]

ps i also have avg security suite checked for nasty spyware

thanking you in advance
Anita[/QUOTE]
I’ve got a 115D and it’s one of the best burners I’ve owned. As far as Sony, the newest ones will probably be Lite-ons.

1. Are you using an 80wire IDE cable?
  2. Have you in fact verified the it’s operating in UDMA 4 mode?
  3. Is the jumper correctly set? (Master?).

sorry for a delayed reply had net connection issues
the jumper is set to master
and i am using 80 wire
but i have no idea how to change ultra dma mode 5 to ultra dma mode 4 is that in bios somewhere?

When you checked DMA status it sounds like you found an IDE interface hard drive, which [B]should[/B] be in Ultra DMA 5. We don’t believe you found the channel with your dvd burner.

Examine the secondary ide channels.

how do u tell which one the dvd drive is and the others ie primary ide channels and the secondary ones are all set to dma if available ? so if i knew which one the drive is can i somehow turn on that ultra dma mode 4 ?

sorry that was a little hard to understand what i meant to say was Is there a way to see which one of the primary IDE channel or the Secondary IDE channels that my Dvd drive is plugged into ? and if i found which one it is on can i change it too ultra dma mode 4 .
they are all currently on dma if available except for the first primary IDE channel it is currently set to ultra dma mode 5 but u believe it is another hardware device?

You should be able to look in My Computer (if using XP) and see how many devices you have in the computer…how many drives in other words. Your hard drive seems to use an IDE interface and is almost certainly set as Master on the Primary IDE Channel. If you have other hard drives, they could be on primary or secondary.

On a normal setup, the optical drive (assuming one) will be Device 0 on the Secondary IDE channel…(this varies, but this is the basic setup).

I’ve included a picture showing the Secondary IDE channels in my old backup computer. You can see there are two drives here, both optical drives, using Ultra DMA 4 and Ultra DMA 2. Those are the normal settings in Current Transfer Mode. What you don’t want to see is an optical burner in PIO mode.

If nothing is showing up as PIO, you may simply have a defective burner.

thanks for all your help mine is on the correct settings i had a feeling it was dodgy ima just buy a new one