DVD+RW drive upgrades: Philips says free, HP says $$$

I just posted the article DVD+RW drive upgrades: Philips says free, HP says $$$.

The Register US reports that the struggle for the support of DVD+R in DVD+RW drives from Hewlett Packard and Philips may have a happy end, for Philips users that is.

While Hewlett Packard says…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3684-DVDRW-drive-upgrades-Philips-says-free-HP-says-.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/3684-DVDRW-drive-upgrades-Philips-says-free-HP-says-.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

The idea is never buy from HP.They do not care about consumers and seem to come up with some very flawed products.Remember the 7200 writers , most failed and HP made no real effort to help users. Hp has been coasting on there name for years they do not deserve your business :frowning:

Either their electrical components are severely flawed in terms of upgradability or they’re passing it off as a different product and trying to make an extra buck off the consumer. I’ll let you figure that one out…:d

One thing The (stupid) Register did not catch was that the DVDR1000 or DVDR1500 are Philips’ video recorders. These are NOT interal computer drives like HP’s dvd100i. Now it would be a different story if Philips had free upgrades for their DVRW208 drive or something.

Damn straight Powel! I have a cd16 writer from HP and the tray mechanism is screwed up. I attempted to call in warranty via email, but no one gave any. Screw HP, they just lost another customer! :r

Damn straight Powel! I have a cd16 writer from HP and the tray mechanism is screwed up. I attempted to call in warranty via email, but no one gave any. Screw HP, they just lost another customer! :r

My first Cd burner was an HP 7200i. I had no end of trouble with it. Buffer underruns were a 50/50 chance on a good day. The drive I bought and 5 replacements all failed after a few weeks. Only after I took the time to figure the rough cost of these drives and their shipping did HP upgrade me to an 8100. The 8100 still works today, but I’ll never buy HP again. This is their way.

Me too! My first burner was an HP 7200i. Although my HP 7200i drive always worked ( I finally sold it to get it out of the house! ), it was as you say, a 50/50 proposition for it to burn a useable CD or an unuseable coaster depending on whether you were an optimist or a pessimist at the time. I too replaced it with an HP 8100 drive, but I purchased mine, which was a better drive albeit still no burn-proof. Moral of the story: Don’t buy HP. Customer support of any kind was a mystery! whitetie :slight_smile:

YES I WAS ONE OF THOSE POOR BASTARDS WHO WAS FOOLED BY A MISLEADING ADVERTISING ON THE HP DVD100I, CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS AN FIRMWARE UPGRADE YET ?