DVD-RW Drive Reads DVD-R as a CD-R (Philips SDVD8820)

[qanda]This thread is about the Philips SDVD8820. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I have a Dell e1505 laptop with a Philips SDVD8820 Dual Drive. I could burn dvds and cds with no problem for a long time. Now it won’t. It will recognize the dvd as a dvd but the drive would remain as a cd drive. I bought another drive (same model) and installed it but no luck. I reinstalled the driver as well. I have read that it may be a Windows XP problem. If so, how can it be repaired? Any help would be appreciated.

What are you referring to when you say it “remains as a cd drive”? If you are referring to the description of the drive in Windows Explorer or My Computer, then you are correct, it is a known XP bug. However, no matter what is shown in the description, it does not affect operation.

So, you will need to experiment and provide more information. Does it read CD’s? DVD’s? Burned and commercial discs? Does it recognize blank CD’s? DVD’s? What software are you using? Have you tried a different app? (Try ImgBurn).

When I go to burn a dvd, it shows the dvd as a cd and won’t burn. When I go to burn a cd, it won’t burn. It doesn’t read burned media either, only commercial media. I am using Cyberlink PowerProducer and Sony Vegas 9. Even if I click and drag to the media, it won’t work.

Sounds like the drive isn’t recognizing your media properly. This especially becomes an issue when using new(er) media on older burners. A firmware update may resolve your issue if there is one available for your drive. Otherwise, you are left searching for media that will work with your drive or simply replacing the burner with a new model.