DVD-RW Drive not opening after Win 7 install

vbimport

Hello all–

After a smooth install of windows 7, the following problem has occurred. I have a Optiarc dvd rw ad-7233s drive and after the install of windows 7 finished, I have been unable to open the cd drive by normal methods…

(Note that I did a full clean install and not the normal “upgrade” option when installing windows 7.)

By normal I mean hitting the eject button on the tower and on my keyboard. The only way to open it has been to go into “computer” and right click on the cd/dvd drive icon and click eject.

I am using windows 7 home premium on a gateway DX4300-03 desktop.

I have tried uninstalling the device and letting it reinstall, rebooting several times and neither is working and I have been unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet about this particular problem.

Any advice you might have would be much appreciated.

[QUOTE=MHWeaver913;2456539]Hello all–

After a smooth install of windows 7, the following problem has occurred. I have a Optiarc dvd rw ad-7233s drive and after the install of windows 7 finished, I have been unable to open the cd drive by normal methods…

(Note that I did a full clean install and not the normal “upgrade” option when installing windows 7.)

By normal I mean hitting the eject button on the tower and on my keyboard. The only way to open it has been to go into “computer” and right click on the cd/dvd drive icon and click eject.

I am using windows 7 home premium on a gateway DX4300-03 desktop.

I have tried uninstalling the device and letting it reinstall, rebooting several times and neither is working and I have been unsuccessful in finding anything on the internet about this particular problem.

Any advice you might have would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Be sure 'buttonmonitor is being loaded. In my Gateway (Vista) it is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Gateway Photo Frame\ButtonMonitor.exe

If this isn’t loaded, the buttons on the box don’t work.

It is actually for photoframe and it sucks that it needs to be loaded for the buttons to work.

all the gateway files seem to have been removed when Windows 7 upgraded… any place i can get them again?

[QUOTE=MHWeaver913;2458070]all the gateway files seem to have been removed when Windows 7 upgraded… any place i can get them again?[/QUOTE]

If you made recovery disks, the install program is under DVR on the apps and drivers disk. It is called IOI Media Reader GW Photo Frame. If you didn’t make the disks, I could upload the install file or you can try and find it on the internet. I could probably email it to you as well but I can imagine the horror of others out there about that :wink: The file is 418k. Let me know.

BTW, just got off a chat with Gateway and it is a fact that the buttons are software driven. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I haven’t discovered any other way to get them to work.

Did you search your drives for buttonmonitor.exe?

it looks more like a mechanical switch failure.
one must be able to eject as soon as power is on if booted or not.
is it not a basic drive feature to eject with push button on the panel?

From what I understand, it isn’t a mechanical switch failure. This computer is only 2 weeks old and the drive bay button stopped working as soon as I killed buttonmonitor.exe from starting with windows. The Gateway tech said the button is software driven. Stupid really.

I have discovered a passable workaround. I used nircmd found here:http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/nircmd.html and programmed the spare buttons on my keyboard with the command to open and close the drive. The file is only 30k. That way I can get rid of the Photo Frame software.

If it is just required to open the drive, you could use ejectcd found here:http://www.phdcc.com/eject-cd/ but it is the same size as the other file and doesn’t do nearly as many things.

i got a brand new cd writer for my laptop.
the eject button needed so many press to eject
so i downloaded wineject.exe and it gives me a icon in tray.
it works great.
only problem is if you want to boot from cd opening it is circus :slight_smile:

I’m having the same issue after installing Windows 7 on Gateway DX4300. The Gateway Tech support has been less than helpfull, after 2 weeks of emailing and after that speaking to them on a daily basis, they finally understood that it was a software issue and these issues are not supported, I would have to pay for software support.
dialupconnection, can you please email me or upload somewhere this installer? I have a backup of the Gateway PhotoFrame directory in the Windows.old backup made by Windows7 installation, and I kind of hacked the whole thing by copying the former, creating a shortcut to ButtonMonitor.exe and placing it in the Start-up menu, but I don’t think it’s the right way of doing things… the installer would be the right way to go under the circumstances:confused:

I don’t have anything to help but maybe an argument for Gateway if the computer is still under warranty.
If Gateway designs it’s hardware so that it only works with a certain software.If the software becomes corrupted it is a hardware issue because it is an intregal part of the hardwares ability to function as it should.

If I let them fix it, they would re-install Vista and it would work, that’s the solution they offered :clap:Windows 7 upgrade was a promotion and if their software fails after the upgrade they don’t care and don’t support it :rolleyes: unless you pay… and I can only imagine the level of support you’d get:D
I’m done arguing with them, it’s not worth it
:disagree:

[QUOTE=dialupconnection;2458102]If you made recovery disks, the install program is under DVR on the apps and drivers disk. It is called IOI Media Reader GW Photo Frame. If you didn’t make the disks, I could upload the install file or you can try and find it on the internet. I could probably email it to you as well but I can imagine the horror of others out there about that :wink: The file is 418k. Let me know.

BTW, just got off a chat with Gateway and it is a fact that the buttons are software driven. Pretty stupid if you ask me. I haven’t discovered any other way to get them to work.

?[/QUOTE]

AWESOME - thanks a bunch :bigsmile:

I have a DX4820, originally installed with Vista 64, now with Windows 7 64bit. The button issue was driving me crazy, mainly because of the idiotic stance of their support staff. I have tried, really hard, 3 times to get this resolved through Gateway support. They are very pleasant but completely useless. Most of the time they repeat what you have just said, almost as though they are trying to get you to hang up from the get-go.:confused:

:aThe company stance is, and I quote from a text chat I had with their support ‘Gateway will not recommend you to Change your operating system. Gateway recommends Windows Vista for your computer because your computer gives maximum performance when it works with Windows Vista. Since you have changed the operating system, Gateway will be unable to provide support for Operating system other that factory shipped one.’ Even pointing out to them that this product comes with a free upgrade to Windows 7 falls on deaf ears.

How stupid can you get?

Whilst i’d rather not have the extra software installed at least the buttons now work. I have not been able to locate any drivers on the Gateway Windows 7 upgrade or driver disc though

i had the same problem here is the software you need to fix it http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/getFile.asp?id=22675&dscr=IOI%20Media%20Reader%20with%20Photo%20Frame%20Driver%20v4.2.3.6&uid=260354201
i know it says it is for 32 vista but it works with 64 bit vista and windows 7 as well. Worked for me! Hope it helps

The page “is temporarily offline or it has been moved.”:iagree:

There is also option to use a physical button which is on the side of DVD drive:flower:

Thanks Patti, i found a slightly older version of that app a couple of weeks ago. I had forgotten that i posted this here. Gateway havent changed their position though

Hi Aczn,

unfortunately the button on the fron of the drive is not accessable behinda big flap on the fron tof the case. Even if you move the flap you still cant reach the button. Thanks all the same

The physical button is not in front, it’s on the right hand side of the DVD drive panel, the whole side panel of DVD drive bay is a button in other words. Gateway tech support doesn’t’ know this :rolleyes::disagree:

[QUOTE=aczn;2473971]If I let them fix it, they would re-install Vista and it would work, that’s the solution they offered :clap:Windows 7 upgrade was a promotion and if their software fails after the upgrade they don’t care and don’t support it :rolleyes: unless you pay… and I can only imagine the level of support you’d get:D
I’m done arguing with them, it’s not worth it
:disagree:[/QUOTE]

this seems unlikely, as acer has done an excellent job at distributing win7 drivers and software, which should have came with your oem os upgrade disk. :disagree:

This is what they said they’do, acer guy:clap:

[QUOTE=justnandbrtny;2494625]this seems unlikely, as acer has done an excellent job at distributing win7 drivers and software, which should have came with your oem os upgrade disk. :disagree:[/QUOTE]

They wouldnt provide any support for the Win 7 upgrade either - you try and find out for yourself :o)

[QUOTE=dialupconnection;2458046]Be sure 'buttonmonitor is being loaded. In my Gateway (Vista) it is located here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Gateway Photo Frame\ButtonMonitor.exe

If this isn’t loaded, the buttons on the box don’t work.

It is actually for photoframe and it sucks that it needs to be loaded for the buttons to work.[/QUOTE]

thanks, you got me on the path to the solution

(DX4300-03 , Win 7)

Using MSCONFIG I had disabled ButtonMonitor from startup as well as the Creative Multimedia Driver and a bunch of other crapware that likes to load at startup and doesn’t give you the option to not start up immediately.

the next time I restarted the DVD would not eject using the buttons on the top of the case (it would via Win Explorer)

I re-edited MSCONFIG, added ButtonMonitor back to the startup. Restarted, and still no luck. So googled the solution and found this thread.

Next, I re-edited MSCONFIG, and added Creative Multimedia Driver back to the startup. Rebooted and now the drive works as intended.

TL DR,

1. run MSCONFIG from start command line

2. in “startup” tab, make sure that there’s a checkmark next to

ButtonMonitor
and
Creative Multimedia Driver

1. Apply changes and reboot

2. Pray that whoever was ultimately responsible for creating this messy setup in order to put the DVD eject button on top of the case vs the normal spot on front of the case… that person get’s a special place in hell reserved for them… or if you don’t believe in hell… that person has to work in the entry level gateway tech support call center for the rest of their life