Dvd-rw drive not being recognized

I just noticed today that my drive no longer works. Its recognized as cdrom i looked through all the stuff on microsoft site. non of it worked. So im asking all of you for any help please

[QUOTE=youngyoshi;1978326]I just noticed today that my drive no longer works. Its recognized as cdrom i looked through all the stuff on microsoft site. non of it worked. So im asking all of you for any help please[/QUOTE]

Exactly where is ti recognized as “CD-ROM”?

Right click on the cd-rom icon in the my computer window and then select refresh. It should change to the correct icon. BTW this is pretty normal of windows to do, as far as it not working (Cd-Rom), can you explain what model and specs of your system.

My pc is a dell xps for its still the drives that came with it. One is just a straight dvd drive and the other is dvd-rw. They both show up as cdrom. I was told it may be adware so i did scans with adaware and spybot
I did a few things that they said should be done on microsoft site and that didnt help any

It is not Adware, its a “feature” of windows, better known as a bug.

so you know how i may be able to go about fixing it?

There is a patch available on m$ support sites but it will not “wipe” the problem that windows prior Vi$ta has no DVD (blanks) support, so the explorer gets confused when youinsert a blank dvd and will show you a cd icon instead…