DVD-RW Drive cannot read/burn DVDs

Hi
I am pulling my hair out because of this problem that has plagued me for a while…I would like to ask for help please :sad:

Currently I am using a Pioneer DVR-107D drive that is said to be both DVD-RW and CD-RW. I know for certain that the drive can read and burn my CDs; however, for some odd reason my drive cannot read burned DVDs or burn DVDs. Any burned DVDs that I put in my drive are considered “blank” or empty (in that it states that the disc has no used or free space) so I cannot read them :/. Same problem with the blanks that I put into my drive; it cannot detect the blank disk…i think (when I go to My Computer->right click the drive–> properties it states that the disc has 0 free/used space).Is there a way for me to fix this problem without buying a new drive :sad:?

And I’ve tried everything such as updating the firmware of my drive using DVRFlash…

I would be really grateful to anyone who knows a solution to my dilemma :frowning:

Hi wishtoswim and welcome to cdfreaks,

Your Pioneer DVR-107D is certainly capable of both reading and burning dvds
Here you go:
Pioneer DVR-107D.
First off, what OS are you using?
XP and previous have no native dvd burning software.
Your OS will not be able to [B]“see”[/B] a blank dvd…this is normal.
Are you able to play a pressed/store-bought dvd?

You probably have a software player on your system, Powerdvd, Nero Show Time, etc.
A good choice is[B] VLC[/B] (VideoLAN - VLC media player)…there is a link in my sig below.
It’s free, easy to use, does not rely on external codecs and will play darn near anything.

Could you tell us exactly what you mean by,
“my drive cannot read burned DVDs or burn DVDs”

How did you burn them?

Thanks for the reply :).

My OS is XP, but the manufacturer of my computer is Sony so with my system comes with this burning software called “Drag n Drop”.

Yep, I am able to play store-bought DVDs but not burned DVDs :S.

When I said “my drive cannot read burned DVDs or burned DVDs,” I mean like…when I try to check the properties of the DVD by right clicking the drive, it states that the disc has 0 free and used space. Whenever I have a CD or DVD(that is not burned, such as a movie) I can right click my drive under My Computer and check the properties of the disc to find that there is x used space. I’m not really computer savvy…but I assume that the properties should state that there is at least some used or free space on the disc; however for burned DVDs or blank DVDs it states that there is nonexistant free or used space. That is what I mean by “my drive cannot read burned DVDs or burned DVDs”…but maybe my drive could read it, but for some reason I just cannot access its files. I’m not so sure myself @__@.

Ok, thanks for the explanation.
I’ve never heard of sony’s drag and drop software (unless it’s sonic or roxio), but that’s ok.
Still, if you’re using windows explorer…trying to open your dvd drive with a blank dvd from “My Computer” …windows (XP) will not [B]see[/B] the disc. Like I said above, this is normal.

Do you have a rewritable (RW) dvd?
You should be able to open sony’s software and drop data of some sort and then burn it. You can try it with a regular recordable dvd, but you’ll waste the disc.
You can try this with a variety of stuff…text, pictures,etc., just to see if it works which I suspect it will.
You will not be able to do this with a movie that you purchased.
You’ll have to decrypt the disc (break the copy protection) in order to back it up (copy). Sony will not let you do this with their software.

I would download either Fab Platinum or SlySoft’s AnyDVD in combo with Clone DVD. Both are available as free trials and both offer superb products.
Platinum may be easier since it is one product and will do it all, but you should experiment for awhile before you buy.

There is freeware that will get the job done too, but I don’t want to overcomplicate this for you. At least, not yet…:bigsmile:

Here’s the site for Fab’s Platinum 30 day free trial:
http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

and for SlySoft:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html

[QUOTE=maineman;1933658]Ok, thanks for the explanation.
I’ve never heard of sony’s drag and drop software (unless it’s sonic or roxio), but that’s ok.
Still, if you’re using windows explorer…trying to open your dvd drive with a blank dvd from “My Computer” …windows (XP) will not [B]see[/B] the disc. Like I said above, this is normal.

Do you have a rewritable (RW) dvd?
You should be able to open sony’s software and drop data of some sort and then burn it. You can try it with a regular recordable dvd, but you’ll waste the disc.
You can try this with a variety of stuff…text, pictures,etc., just to see if it works which I suspect it will.
You will not be able to do this with a movie that you purchased.
You’ll have to decrypt the disc (break the copy protection) in order to back it up (copy). Sony will not let you do this with their software.

I would download either Fab Platinum or SlySoft’s AnyDVD in combo with Clone DVD. Both are available as free trials and both offer superb products.
Platinum may be easier since it is one product and will do it all, but you should experiment for awhile before you buy.

There is freeware that will get the job done too, but I don’t want to overcomplicate this for you. At least, not yet…:bigsmile:

Here’s the site for Fab’s Platinum 30 day free trial:
http://www.dvdfab.com/download.htm

and for SlySoft:
http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html[/QUOTE]http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/software/drag_n_drop_v3_0/index.html

[QUOTE=Dr. Crankenstein;1933678]http://vaio-online.sony.com/prod_info/software/drag_n_drop_v3_0/index.html[/QUOTE]

LMAO…don’t you just love sony. Check out the “small” print, taken directly from the link.
Sounds like great burn software eh?..:stuck_out_tongue:
It just gets better and better.

"[I]Recording of additional data to DVD media in DVD video format is not possible. Moreover, additional recorded data may not be readable by the built-in DVD drive in other manufacturers’ PCs.

Note: You can only use Data BOX to create a data DVD, or a DVD data backup on which you hold the copyright. (However, creation of DVD-Audio/DVD-Video discs is not allowed.)"[/I]

[QUOTE=wishtoswim;1932654]Hi
I am pulling my hair out because of this problem that has plagued me for a while…I would like to ask for help please :sad:

Currently I am using a Pioneer DVR-107D drive that is said to be both DVD-RW and CD-RW. I know for certain that the drive can read and burn my CDs; however, for some odd reason my drive cannot read burned DVDs or burn DVDs. Any burned DVDs that I put in my drive are considered “blank” or empty (in that it states that the disc has no used or free space) so I cannot read them :/. Same problem with the blanks that I put into my drive; it cannot detect the blank disk…i think (when I go to My Computer->right click the drive–> properties it states that the disc has 0 free/used space).Is there a way for me to fix this problem without buying a new drive :sad:?

And I’ve tried everything such as updating the firmware of my drive using DVRFlash…

I would be really grateful to anyone who knows a solution to my dilemma :([/QUOTE]May be the DVD’s copyright protection is stopping it from running. You will need a decrypter. Just as Maineman suggested, go to DVDFAB.com, click downloads, select DVDFAB PLATINUM 4.0.1.2. There’s a 30 free trial, then $49.00 sale price. Has great tutorials and online support. If your wanting free stuff. Then from the DVDFAB home page go to the bottom, click on the FREE STUFF hyperlink, download DVDFAB HD DECRYTPER, this is a free decrypter. Then download DVDSHRINK, and IMGBURN. Make sure you get the latest versions. These three programs will backup your DVD collection. The decrypter runs in the background. There are tutorial here on this site for both Shrink and Imgburn. I’d start with DVDFAB PLATINUM and while the 30 day trial is running you can learn how to use the free programs. If you do download Slysoft’s products, too. Make sure you turn off the ANYDVD decrypter when using other decrypters.

Sorry for leading you guys off track @_@

I’m not looking to burn videos or movies or anything onto the DVD…I’m was trying to backup some files from my hard drive. Using the same program, I can burn any kind of CD. But when it comes to using DVDs for any kind of file, the process will initiate but will error after a few seconds.

I’ve also tried to update the firmware of my drive…but even after so it still cannot read some of the burned DVDs that I received from my friend, which is strange since other computers in my house can read the files on the DVD.

Thanks for the responses. I think I might have to get a new drive :S