DVD+RW DL standards set

vbimport

Imagine being able to record 4 hours instead of 2 hours of the highest quality DVD video on a disc. Or to store 8.5 gigabytes, equaling about 12 fully recorded CD-Rs, instead of 4.7 gigabytes, on a single sided DVD.

All this is possible, here and now, with the advent of DVD+R Double Layer recording technology. Based on the proven double layer technology that has been used in DVD-Video for many years, DVD+R DL amost doubles the recording capacity when compared to traditional DVD recording media. And because the disc is single sided, there’s no need to flip it over halfway through playback or recording.

But the best thing is, you can play a DVD+R DL disc in your current DVD-Video player, DVD games console, or DVD-ROM equipped PC. Double layer playback has been part of the DVD format since the beginning, so most existing DVD playback equipment has no problem playing the new high capacity DVD+R DL discs!

The only thing you need to store these huge quantities of data or long video recording times is a DVD+R DL capable DVD rewriter and the new sophisticated DVD+R DL media. Currently, more than a dozen manufacturers already offer DVD+R DL capable drives. And these drives are backward compatible, they let you record DVD+RW and single layer DVD+R media.

http://www.dvdrw.com/why/doublelayer.htm

http://www.dvdrw.com/why/doublelayer_faq.htm For some reason the way I am reading this FAQ it seems existing DVD-/+ DL drives will not be able to use these discs. I may be wrong but if this is the case they have shot themselves in the foot before the discs even hit the market.

If this has been posted elsewhere sorry but search isn’t working for me.

DVD ± RW Dual Layer?

As i know yes, it would be needed a new drive and there’s also a problem with playback on standalone players.

Talk about a stupid thing to do then. Most people are not going to change drives just for the ability to write DL RWs especially while they are still new and relatively untested in the real world.

Blu-Ray and HD-DVD are just going to be released. I think DVD+RW DL will just be as successful as HD-BURN and GigaRec were.

You’re probably right, if the maximum layer reflectivity is only 5%. The double-layer DVD-ROM standard stipulates at least 18% reflectivity at either layer. There may be additional laser power issues that would affect recorder compatibility.

On the first criterion alone, it makes it very unlikely that most home DVD players will be able to use them either.

In case of RW DL, -R is in advance. Without doubt.

But who really needs RW DL???

Rofl, imagine scratching it by mistake :stuck_out_tongue: , err ‘ooops’.