DVD+RW disk rewrite/erase "unavailable" on LG DVD writer (& it was available before)

1st of all I hope this is the correct section. If not please move me in the correct one. Ty.

Let’s start:
I have an LG GSA-4167B.
Not too long ago I buy some DVD+RW blanks: 10pcs EMTEC DVD+RW 1-4x & 10pcs Verbatim DVD+RW 4x (both types used 2-3 times ‘write/rewrite’ with no problem).
Both worked fine with my LG till now and i didn’t changed the recorder/soft (nero7).
After 1 month time in wich i don’t use them this happens:
Nero 7/Alcohol 120 both see the emtec disks as +RW but dont erase/format/rewrite them (all 10)… Verbatim ones works fine (all 10).
Anyone got any ideea on what happened/what to do (if there is anything to do)?

I’ll attach some pics (maybe there are usefull):
Alchool120% write error–/\Opti Drive Control erase error–

My drive dont support “disk quality-nero/opti drive control” so I cannot put a quality report.
Nero CD/DVD Speed–/\Nero info drive–

Nero info disk–/\Opti Drive Control info disk–

Opti Drive Control info drive–
Also INCD can’t erase/format the disk.

DVD Identifier log download/direct view

All the above pics/test are done with the “emtec” DVD+RW in the drive.
Thanks.

P.S. Sry for my english - I’m not a native english language speaker.

Hi :slight_smile:

There is an option in the settings of Alcohol that you can try - go to Alcohol’s Settings, and look for an option named “Ignore Media Type” - make sure this option is not checked.

Rebooting after you change the setting may help.

Also, download ImgBurn and try erasing the discs using that.

If this fails, can you try the discs on another drive to see how they are recognised there. BTW your English is fine. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2302762]Hi :slight_smile:

There is an option in the settings of Alcohol that you can try - go to Alcohol’s Settings, and look for an option named “Ignore Media Type” - make sure this option is not checked.[/QUOTE]
By that are you referring to this?: (I barely use A% so no xp for me with A%)

The default settings was already as shown in picture.
But still don’t clean the disks.

When I try to erase/format the emtec DVD+RW with ImgBurn:

ImgBurn logs:
ImgBurn primary window data: [U]download[/U]//[U]direct view[/U]

ImgBurn log window data: [U]download[/U]//[U]direct view[/U]

And in the past they did work with my drive flawless.
It’s weird…I have 10 emtec and none want to clean, to work like a DVD+RW should work. And 10 Verbatims (same age with emtecs/same storage conditions/same use conditions/same type: DVD+RW) that still work flawless.

Any sugestions? (except brake/use them as DVD-Rom)
I still wanna use them as temp bkp…
I’m gonna get angry on those ‘stupid’ disks :a

Regards, Lentul (in EN: slow-man :slight_smile: )

Yep, that’s the option I meant :slight_smile:

Hmmm - the fact that your 10 Verbatims still work flawlessly, leads me to believe the Emtec discs may be the problem.

For two reasons: 1. The LG 4167B can be a picky drive, it likes the best media (I have the same drive myself)…also 2. Verbatim are an excellent choice for any RW discs, whereas Emtec, depending on what manufacturer they use for those discs, can be anything from “terrible” to “OK”. It sounds like your Emtec discs have worn out.

Indeed, I have some Memorex DVD-RW discs, and my own 4167B won’t even burn them…so it’s a fussy drive!

So what I would suggest is to use your Verbatim discs instead - and use the Emtecs as coasters for your drinks. :bigsmile:

I know it seems like a waste of discs, but even if the Emtec discs did work, there is always a chance of data loss. :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2302921]So what I would suggest is to use your Verbatim discs instead - and use the Emtecs as coasters for your drinks. :bigsmile:

I know it seems like a waste of discs, but even if the Emtec discs did work, there is always a chance of data loss. ;)[/QUOTE]

:iagree: Emtec’s RWs are usually the worst possible grade Optodiscs. I wonder if anybody is successfully using them.

[QUOTE=Arachne;2302921]Yep, that’s the option I meant :slight_smile:

Hmmm - the fact that your 10 Verbatims still work flawlessly, leads me to believe the Emtec discs may be the problem.
[…]
use the Emtecs as coasters for your drinks. :bigsmile:[/QUOTE]
I’m thinking the same and asking my self how did they worn (so the brand says all, 'expired by doing nothing… :confused: )…but I will try to erase them…idk how :frowning: And after that, if they still don’t wanna work, use them as coasters (they do look nice :slight_smile: )

[QUOTE=pepst;2302936]:iagree: Emtec’s RWs are usually the worst possible grade Optodiscs. I wonder if anybody is successfully using them.[/QUOTE]
Well they did work for 3 times (that’s the no of times I used them and the Verba).

Strange is that nero/imgburn/A% all say that media (emtec’s) from the drive is erasable and disc info/stats is DVD+RW.

Edit: I e-mail the disc manufacturer (8 hours ago).
I’m curious about their answer, if they will answer. :doh:

Thanks for answers/help.
Regards, Lentul.

Get decent DVD+Rw media and a decent burner.

[QUOTE=lentul;2303010]I’m thinking the same and asking my self how did they worn (so the brand says all, 'expired by doing nothing… :confused: )…but I will try to erase them…idk how :frowning: And after that, if they still don’t wanna work, use them as coasters (they do look nice :slight_smile: )

Well they did work for 3 times (that’s the no of times I used them and the Verba).

Strange is that nero/imgburn/A% all say that media (emtec’s) from the drive is erasable and disc info/stats is DVD+RW.

Edit: I e-mail the disc manufacturer (8 hours ago).
I’m curious about their answer, if they will answer. :doh:

Thanks for answers/help.
Regards, Lentul.[/QUOTE]

Because they’re not very good discs, the amount of write/erase cycles will be much, much less than with a good RW disc like Verbatim. :slight_smile:

Yes, it will be interesting to hear what the manufacturer says - maybe they’ll even offer you replacements :wink:

[QUOTE=chef;2303117]Get decent DVD+Rw media and a decent burner.[/QUOTE]

Decent burner? Pfffft, the 4167B is a decent burner…so it’s a bit older now, but it’s still good :stuck_out_tongue: :smiley:

[QUOTE=chef;2303117]Get decent DVD+Rw media and a decent burner.[/QUOTE]

The [B]LG GSA-4167B[/B] is more then decent.
Why I say that?
Well, even if

[QUOTE=Arachne;2302921]The LG 4167B can be a picky drive, it likes the best media[/QUOTE] in my case every model of CD-R_RW, DVD +/- R_RW media I hape put in the drive he write ‘verbatim/tdk…emtec/princo aso’ (low Q media was from/for friends.
I one only use the best media…and I start to think that emtec’s was a mistake, but not too bad one. I am able to perfectly read all the data from them even if I cannot RW them like I should and was able before, yet.

I even make one fedora live usb and boot from it and still cannot erase those bad emtecs…
The “Emtecs as coasters” Arachne’s ideea takes a tangible form little by little…

Really, is it a decent burner for DVD+RW media?

I am not that sure…

[QUOTE=chef;2303676]Really, is it a decent burner for DVD+RW media?

I am not that sure…[/QUOTE]

Fair point - the only RW discs I’ve fed mine have been Memorex (CMC) 2x discs - which aren’t good. The drive knew that and refused to touch them :wink:

And Lentul says his Verbie RWs burn OK, so it can’t be all that bad - as I mentioned, as long as you feed it the best. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=lentul;2303010]Strange is that nero/ImgBurn/Alcohol120% all say that media (emtec’s) from the drive is erasable and disc info/stats is DVD+RW.[/QUOTE]
Added:

• “Fedora live usb OS” & “Ashampoo Burning Studio 2009 Advanced” to the above softwares (this one also see the emtec’s as DVD+RW but also fail when I try to erase them)
  • 2 different DVD recorders able do write/rewrite +RW
    with the same result: erase/format error.
    In conclusion: Emtec’s worn off (so the brand says all, 'expired by doing nothing… :confused: ). Those +RW’s were a bad choice.
    I’ve learned my lesson: I wont buy any questionable/low quality rw’s.

I e-mail the disc manufacturer…no ansswer till now :doh:
I wonder if they will ever reply…

The question is, now:
Even if they are less then low quality, i cannot question myself how an “x” brand “RW” media can become “R” media (but softwares being able to see them still as “RW”) in one month, knowing that another “y” brand “RW” remained “RW” (x and y being used in the same way/stored in the same conditions/burned with the same software/burner/speed). This beats me.

Now I think I will use the Emtec’s as coasters, they do look nice :slight_smile:

Ty for help.
Lentulâ„¢

Just out of curiosity, what is the MID code of your Emtecs?
Mine are all z-grade Optodiscs, at least I like their simple design.

[QUOTE=pepst;2304739]Just out of curiosity, what is the MID code of your Emtecs?
Mine are all z-grade Optodiscs, at least I like their simple design.[/QUOTE]

From what i readhere

Manufacturer ID (MID) codes are like digital signatures imprinted into the media
Do I get it right?
If I get it right then the codes are this:
1: OTC+W84554N0
2: OP4
3: 0303
4: +RW 2.4-4X
5: ES07J3005P13123
(1,2,3,4 are readable by mirroring the media)
The 1…5 are readed as I noted the folowing picture:

If I understand wrong what MID is (meaning it’s something writed on DVD’s package, then I cannot get it - package is long time thrown away), if this is readed by using a software, then tell me what software sould I use.

Manufacturer ID: OPTODISC OP4
As Nero InfoTool read the disc:

[QUOTE=lentul;2304765]Manufacturer ID: OPTODISC OP4
As Nero InfoTool read the disc:[/QUOTE]

Thanks, this is what I was asking for.
DVD Identifier or Opti Drive Control are ones of the few programs you can use for checking out the MID code of media.

With that can you solve the puzzle? because I look at that like a “kindergarten child at a car engine”

[QUOTE=lentul;2304811]With that can you solve the puzzle? because I look at that like a “kindergarten child at a car engine”[/QUOTE]

It is really not too complicated. :stuck_out_tongue:
MID code identifies the real manufacturer of medium.
Code “OPTODISC OP4” (obviously) belongs to Optodisc which was the most important OEM supplier of RW media for Emtec.

[QUOTE=pepst;2304829]It is really not too complicated. :stuck_out_tongue:
MID code identifies the real manufacturer of medium.
Code “OPTODISC OP4” (obviously) belongs to Optodisc which was the most important OEM supplier of RW media for Emtec.[/QUOTE]
Well…for someone who never had problems with CD/DVD media (regardless of media brand/type: +/- R/RW) it’s a little complicated.

So this means that my emtecs are not fake?
So their quality is so low that noone bothered to make fake emtecs!? :slight_smile:

Excuse my little sarcasm.
I’m from Romania, and here, when we’re in difficulty…how should I say it to be properly understanded in english… we make sport of trouble/ in trouble we laugh…

[QUOTE=lentul;2304842]So this means that my emtecs are not fake?
[B]So their quality is so low that noone bothered to make fake emtecs!?[/B] :slight_smile:
Excuse my little sarcasm.[/QUOTE]
You actually hit the nail on the head. :bigsmile:
Nobody would gain anything from making a fake Emtec media as the Emtec brand does not have a best reputation.

[QUOTE=lentul;2304842]I’m from Romania, and here, when we’re in difficulty…how should I say it to be properly understanded in english… we make sport of trouble/ in trouble we laugh…[/QUOTE]
I understand, Slovakia is very similar to Romania and gallows humor is very popular here (and probably in every country on the eastern side of the Iron Curtain. :cool:)

:iagree:
Well then I just got myself 10 brand new Emtec coasters :confused:

Thanks for help.

Lentulâ„¢