DVD+RW disk are stuck as DVD-ROM

vbimport

I have a 3500AG (2.1B) and 3540A (1.WB) both running hacked firmware. I use bit setting to change everything to DVD-ROM and wrote some DVD+RW disks. Now they are stuck as DVD-ROM and I can’t get nero to write to them again. nero along with DVDInfoPro sees these disk as DVD-ROM so I can’t erase and rewrite.

I used the NECWinFlash application to reset both drives back to the original bit types but that doesn’t help.

Is there something I need to do for my drives to recognize the disks are really DVD+RW?

Normally DVDInfoPro will format/erase these. You could try Nero’s CD-DVD Speed or ImgBurn as they might do it.

Do you have Alcohol 120% installed by any chance?

Most times a FULL erase is necessary to make them usable again.

Thank you all for the help. The full erase did the trick.

Do you mean the RWs reverted to DVD +RW book type? I have some +RW I thought were stuck as +RW and wonder if full erase might make them able to be burned as DVD-ROM.

You can set the booktyping in some firmwares for DVD+RW to DVD-ROM. This’ll happen at burn time but you might get some issues after that like the OP did.

Funny, the full erase worked on the first one I tried but then every other one is still reverting back to DVD-ROM. I noticed in DVD Decrypter that after an erase, it will show the disk as DVD+RW and the last recorded book type as DVD-ROM. If I go straight to nero, it refuses to burn because the disk somehow reverts back to DVD-ROM.

Here is the text from DVDDecrypter and the disks are RIDATA 4X DVD+RW…

Disc Information:
Erasable: Yes
Formatted: Yes
Supported Write Speeds: 2.4x, 4x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: RICOHJPN-W11-01
Book Type: DVD+RW
Part Version: 2
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: RICOHJPN-W11-01
Book Type: DVD-ROM
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Format Capacity:
Sectors: 2,295,104
Size: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)

Do you think the disk are permanently trashed?

Certainly weren’t when I mistakenly did this.

I have exactly the same problem with my NEC ND 6450 (flashed to ND 6500)
Alle my dvd-rw’s are set booktype to DVD-ROM by Nero.
With binflash I can only change the booktypesettings for DVD +R DL.

So, did my flashing change this? I used Liggy’s and Dee’s 2.25 …

Next question: how can I correct this? I can no longer write multisession data-dvd’s because of this.

Flashing the firmware for both my drives doesn’t solve the problem. I think nero is looking at some bit in the disk and refusing to recognize the physical type.

I did come up with a solution which may or may not solve the problem because I have not try to rewrite the same disk in nero. Have DVDDecrypter do a quick erase and click on DVD+RW in the popup and then cycle the tray. Use DvdShrink to create an ISO file from a ripped DVD and have it burn to DVDDecrypter. Okay, it is not very pretty but at least it works. If I started with an ISO file, then I can skip the DVDShrink and just do the quick erase and burn with DVDDecrypter.

Welcome to the forum.

Have you tried the fully erase using the software mentioned above?

It was the first thing I did after your inittial reply. I can only get DVDDecrypter to do the full erase because nero doesn’t even let me attempt it. The full erase doesn’t work because the disk will initially show it is fine in DVDDecrypter and then when I go into nero, it gets rejected.

BTW, I am running nero 6.6.1.4 in xp pro.

@lost51

You must have posted just seconds before me so whilst I was addressing [B]rianne[/B] it looks like you thought I was addressing you & it got confused. :slight_smile:

If you have a BenQ drive you can use Booktype tool to change it.

You can easily change the NEC booktype also. I even tried different official and hacked firmware versions using different different booktype permutations and still no joy.

Hi,

do you have Alcohol installed? If so, then uninstall it for troubleshooting and see if that helps.

Michael

If everything else fails try with fast erase and WinBType (bottom of linked page). My 0.02$

Only flashing different bitsetting firmwares wont do any good because booktype is written on discs first sectors (and must be changed by writing).

I also have this problem with my +RW disks. It appears that they wont be fully erased in order to be burnt over again. Drive still sees them as DVD-ROM.

I notice nero has an version 6 update that came out a couple of days ago. I’ll give it a try but no high hopes that it will fix the problem.