DVD+RW big problems! Give me a hand m8s

Hi m8s!

I am having big big problems with DVD+RW and my Liteon LDW-811s. This drive has always had slow detection times for all media in general. It can take between 10 to 20 seconds to read a disk, but DVD+RW has been always ultra slow (sometimes 30sec!)! Anyway the disk were burning fine and I could read them back in the 811s so I was not so worried.
This week I sudenly started to have problems for burning CD-R. Nero was not burning them anymore. I had burned a great number of DVD+R (TY) last week without any problem, always using Nero 6 / DVD UDF compilation (not ISO DVD) and activating the bitsetting (DVD-ROM) on Nero. I decided that a Windows reinstall could be a nice thing to do and after backing up in my external HD I ghosted back my machine to a clean Windows state. I could burn CD-R again with Nero but I was really sorprised that my MUST IMPORTANT DVD+RW disk was having a lot of problems to read. This disk is a Sony 4X (RICOHJP) DVD+RW that I bought specially for backing up my must important data. I was getting shocked when I started to see Cyclic Reduncance Feil and other horrible messages when trying to copy with Windows.

My other DVD-ROM drive (A Pioneer DVD-106) has always been peeky to read DVD+RW then I cannot read my disks there to see if it is the 811s or if it is the media. I will try in another DVD drive today for see what is the result.

Any DVD+RW that I try now on the 811s is giving me nightmares. All these disks were burned by the drive some months ago and have been placed in boxes, it would be very strange that all have failed at the same time.

Attached to this thread you can see some wierd messages that I am getting from last CD-Speed only when starting the test (when spinning the disk).

If the drive has a problem is it dangerous to continue trying to read my media there? Can it dammage my disks?

I am thinking to send the LDW-811s to warranty. I have just got this drive 4 months ago. It has always been problematic with DVD+RW media, it even doesn’t recognise the disk that came bundled with it!

I apreciate your help here. This will maybe lead me to buy another DVD+RW drive, I am very concerned with writting quality (I try to get good media always) but the fact that the 811s was a good all in one device convinced me in february, it could backup must games and that was really nice, but this problems and some histories that I have read here about the Liteys are scaring me now. I hope that this writer can be changed (it has official firmware) and that I get a good replacement.

Thank you.

Update: The 811s is making wild spinning noises when I turn on the PC and THERE IS NO DISK INSIDE! Something very bad must have happened with this drive. Sending email to Liteon…

On the pther hand I could recuperate must of the info from that DVD-RW with the help of my Pioneer 106 DVD-ROM, but this drive has a lot of problems with DVD+RW reading, it clicks a lot (very audible clicks) when trying to read a disk. I have fpund a lot of Cyclic Redundance Fails on that DVD+RW, but I could not test it on another drive, my laptop toshiba DVD-ROM doesn’t even see the DVD+RW disks burned by my Lteon, but these disks play without any problem in my KISS stand alone player. Is it possible that a disk that was having this good K-probe results degenerates itself to nearly unusable in some months? Here is the info, I apreciate any comments:

That's Write DVD+RW 4X, 5 pack with boxes.

Media Information                            
Region information                                    N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
Media code/Manufacturer ID                                    RICOHJPNW11
Format Type                                                      UDF 1.02
Volume Name                                                              
Application id                                                           
Implementation id                                              AHEAD Nero
Recording Date/Time (mm/dd/yyyy)                       1/ 1/2002  4:45:29
Format Capacity                                            4.38GB(4.70GB)
Book Type                                                         DVD-ROM
Media Type                                                         DVD+RW
Media Id Code Speed                                         4.0x 5540KBps
BG Format Status                                                Suspended
Data area starting sector                                          30000h
Data area end sector                                              23053Fh
Linear Density                                                0.267um/bit
Track Density                                                0.74um/track
Number of Layers                                                        1

08 02 00 00 01 0F 01 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F .............&.?
00 00 00 00 00 00 01 52 49 43 4F 48 4A 50 4E 57 .......RICOHJPNW
31 31 01 39 23 00 8A 86 68 02 26 00 8A 86 70 02 11.9#...h.&...p.
28 00 8A 86 6A 02 28 22 12 10 E0 00 F0 00 00 00 (...j.("........

It appears that there was some kind of feil inside the PC. I have moved the 811s to another IDE port and now it os working ok. The DVDRW disk that was damaged has got new life :slight_smile: I could copy all the contens to my HD without problems, thanks god!
I am still nopt satisfied with the CD-SPEED results that I got with this disk, I am going to pass the information to another DVD+RW just to be sure.