DVD+RW alliance releases 2.4x DVD+RW Double Layer specs

I just posted the article DVD+RW alliance releases 2.4x DVD+RW Double Layer specs..

Just when
one thought that double/dual layer write-once media was the last addition to the
list of DVD recordable formats, the DVD+RW Alliance has just announced the
release of version…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11729-DVDRW-alliance-releases-2_4x-DVDRW-Double-Layer-specs_.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/11729-DVDRW-alliance-releases-2_4x-DVDRW-Double-Layer-specs_.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Double layer media seems to be compatible with every machine i’ve tried it in, as long as the booktype is set to dvdrom. I can’t comment on double layer -R compatibility though as I haven’t used it. Here in Australia you can get the Verbatim +R DL for $3.50 each which is reasonable I think. The introduction of a new form of media means drive manufacturers will get to release more drives with new features to help boost sales. They should be happy.

Well, FreqNasty - i think you missed the point entirely. DVD+RW-DL is a lot worse. Remember the CD-RW/CD-R difference? most players played CD-R and most didn’t play CD-RW? Well - it’s the same sort of concept here - the DVD+RW-DL uses Phase Change Crystal Layer to do the recording, and these crystals have a much much lower reflectivity. Most devices wouldn’t even recognise it because the reflectivity has dropped BELOW the specification for DL Standards. However, DVD+R-DL and DVD-R-DL are all similar, with reflectivities sitting inside or on the edge of the standard. That’s why they … on the most part … work.

Come on! DL at 2.4x is like recording a SL disc at 1.2x. These companies need to quit playing the game of releasing ultra-slow media & recorders only to slowly bump up the speed to sell us new media and recorders.

@luigogh, I was referring to the compatibility of write once dual layer media being compatible with everything I have tried it on, I was not referring to dual layer rewritable. I agree that current gen dvd players probably won’t play this media.