DVD-Rs can only contain actually 4.5GBs instead of 4.7GBs?

vbimport

Hey all… As you might have already noticed, I may be a freak, but not a CD/DVD one. :bigsmile:

Well, anyway… to my question; I just bought a pack of TEAC DVD-Rs, it clearly says “4.7GB”. Inserted them to the DVDRW drive, clicked on Nero, and it says the disc can only contain up to 4.5GB of data. What did I do wrong? Is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance… :rolleyes:

Some drives/media combinations allow for overburning. But to be safe, I NEVER put more that 4.5GB of data on any DVD (except for maybe a dual layer). With programs like DVDSHRINK, which can shrink a pretty good sized file into 4.5gb, and still provide very exceptional quality, there is no need to go for more.

OK, thanks… But tell me, why does it say it contains 4.7GB storage of data, while it’s only 4.5GB? Is it really 4.5GB on all blank DVD-Rs? If so, why do they say it’s 4.7GB, and not 4.5GB?

please read this (under DVD Sizes)…it should clear things up for you: http://www.videohelp.com/dvd#4.7

Now I’m even more confused… :confused:

Look, it says it should be 4.7GB (4,700,000 = 4,370,000), which is actually 4.3GB. So why does it say on Nero 4.5GB? That’s confusing…

because a DVD can hold up to 4488MB which is ~4500MB which is ~4.5GB if you use 1000 as the divisor. it just all depends on how a particular software shows sizes.

you’re getting confused because you’re going straight from bytes to gigabytes

look below…why are you still so confused? it’s all marketing speak in the end…

* In the computer world is 1 KB data = 1024 bytes so 4 700 000 000 bytes / 1024 = 4 589 843KB / 1024 = 4482MB / 1024 = 4.37GB. See section 3.3 in the DVDDemystified FAQ here.

What? Why 4488MB = 4500MB? That’s a 12MB of a difference…

Also, on the FAQ it says that ultimately it’s 4.37GB, not 4.5GB, so I don’t get what I’m doing wrong here.

Ah… DVD sizes spin around my head

12MB is relatively nothing when you think of the total capacity of a DVD which is why i said ~ (approximately). also, NERO allows one to overburn a DVD all the way up to 4600MB (and more with a registry hack) on certain dvd burners that can overburn (e.g. Plextors).

as has been stated already…4,700,000,000 bytes is 4,488MB which is 4.37GB. NERO is showing you GB using 4488MB/1000 (instead of 1024) which is 4.488GB which is ~ 4.5GB…it’s dependent on how the software displays sizes.

to answer your original question…you’re not doing anything wrong and the DVDs you bought are just fine…

sorry to yell but IT’S ALL MARKETING SPEAK!!!

drpino! Thx for taking the time out to go through the details and provide a site for reading.
I am a noob to dvd burning and really appreciate the information that you have given :iagree: The question had popped up in my mind, however it was not really pressing so I did not post. It was interesting that another member had the same thought and decided to do a post and you very eloquently responded. :bigsmile: Thankyou!!!

Regards

no problem Cleary…glad i could help :smiley: it’s quite common for those who aren’t familiar with bits/bytes/kilobits/kilobytes/megabytes/gigabytes to be confused by what manufacturers claim. it’s a shame that companies have adopted this “estimation” practice without properly informing the consumer first. well, it’s good that places like CDFreaks exist to better inform the public :wink: :bigsmile:

OK, got it… thanks!