DVD-ROM Won't Open/Not Recognized

vbimport

My Sony VAIO computer came with: PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R

I installed: GENERIC DVD RW 8XMAX

Everything worked fine for a while but then my Pioneer quit opening. I used admin tools-disk mgt to force it to ope a few times but that rarely works now. How can I get the Pioneer to work again? I have the following:

Drive	E: 
Description	CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded	No
Media Type	CD-ROM
Name	PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R
Manufacturer	(Standard CD-ROM drives)
Status	OK
Transfer Rate	Not Available
SCSI Target ID	0
PNP Device ID	IDE\CDROMPIONEER_DVD-ROM_DVD-117R________________1.04____\5&1F5B1C76&0&0.0.0
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/17/2001 1:52 PM)

Drive	F:
Description	CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded	No
Media Type	CD-ROM
Name	GENERIC DVD RW 8XMax
Status	OK
SCSI Target ID	1
PNP Device ID	IDE\CDROMGENERIC_DVD_RW_8XMAX____________________150I____\5&1F5B1C76&0&0.1.0
Driver	c:\windows\system32\drivers\cdrom.sys (5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158), 48.38 KB (49,536 bytes), 8/17/2001 1:52 PM)

Drive	G:
Description	CD-ROM Drive
Media Loaded	No
Media Type	CD-ROM
Name	VOBID InstantDrive CD SCSI CdRom Device
Status	OK
SCSI Target ID	0
PNP Device ID	SCSI\CDROM&VEN_VOBID&PROD_INSTANTDRIVE_CD&REV_14\1&171323FD&0&000

Connect it into another computer to find out if it is a hardware defect or not.

I’ll do that as a last resort - or not at all

Hey I sort of have the same problem. One day my DVD player refused to work and hasn’t since, I’ve dismembered the thing after looking through the software. The hardware seemed fine, I get this slight clicky noise when it tries to read the DVD. It also hesitates to eject when I press the button or use the link on the computer. However when I downloaded another driver (NIVIDIA DVD driver) and did a full restore (using the disks that came with the comuter when I bought it )It worked fine untill the demo ran out. So I’m guessing the problem is software. But I don’t know what the beep to do to fix it. I’ve tried re installing the driver and this and that. But Im stuck.

Oh and if I leave the DVD in for a few hours it SOMETIMES can figure out the name of the DVD in my media player. Go figure.

i forgot until it happened again last night - occasionally the tray will unexpectidly open after a restart and continue to open dozens of times as if it rememberes every time the buttton was pushed to open and is now opening all those times? go figure?

where can i get the driver for my PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R

It already comes with the OS!!

'scuse me: where can i get an [B]UPDATED[/B] driver for my PIONEER DVD-ROM DVD-117R

The one comes with the OS is good enough. You need none else.

In case you meant FIRMWARE…
An patched rpc-1 version of 1.07 is available… http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?download_id=149

after installing firmware i have to bypass windows and other programs?

i have windows xp - pioneer and all the others i’ve found so far say to use the windows driver - also

i saw one page on my computer that shows i have a pinnacle related driver: “C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\Asapiw2k.sys” “Provider Pinnacle Systems GmbH” “File version 6, 0, 2, 27” “Not digitally signed”

I thought i removed all pinnacle related files/programs as i don’t use it any more.

Is there a way i can force and confirm the windows xp driver for this pioneer dvd-117R?

What’s the difference between 117 and 117R?

Open Devicemanager and check the drive properties.

Only your drive is regionfree, use a software like regionkiller or dvdgenie additionally to make your whole system regioncode free.