DVD-ROM reader or not and if so -- which one?

I’m about to archive my cd collection in a lossless format because I need the space on the shelves.
Is it a good thing to use the 716 thus extensively, and if not, which dvd drive does its job best? I surely want to have c2 error correction and fast dae. Is the Px-130A good enough for that? Are there better drives? I’m currently working with a Toshiba 1912 …

I’d use the 716A. And Plextools, of course.

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

I don’t see anything wrong with using your Toshiba as a reader and writing on a 716A. BTW , I use this same setup but with a Toshiba SD-M1712. The SD-M1712 has hardware error correction that I only see when using Clone CD. You wouldn’t believe how fast it skips errors…

CloneCD isn’t the best choice for ripping Audio CDs… I strongly recommend to use a secure audio ripper… that is, Plextools (for Plextor drives) and Andre Wiethoff’s EAC (for other drives, or even with Plextor drives). Audio ripping is a delicate task, so it is better to use a dedicated program that a non-specifically-audio-oriented copy program.
It is quite different than copying copy-protected games.
Tons of informations in the Audio Forum too. :wink:

Regards, :slight_smile:

ET

Well, the problem is that the 1912 is a re-labeled Samsung 616. Yours is said to have been the last genuine Toshiba.
Erroneous discs as well as tests done with SecuROM showed desastrous results.

@eltranquil: How would you judge the life expectancy of a drive used for both reading and writing?

Longer than the time you’ll want to buy a new drive, with new fancy features, 16x DVD+R DL burning, DVD+RW DL burning, Lightscribe, etc…, and give the 716A to a friend, younger brother… :wink:

In short: I don’t know, but I don’t think that it will be a problem… :slight_smile:

Regards,

ET

Before you start throwing away originals, throw them in my general direction :slight_smile:

Why not? About how many discs are we talking? 50, 100, 200, 500? If you are worried that your drive might wear out consider the following: Compressing to lossless takes some computing horsepower. Depending on how fast your computer is, you’ll see a ripping/coding speed of max. 8x. Use Plextools to limit the read speed accordingly, so the drive doesn’t have to spin up to a full 48x whenever more data is read from the disk.

However IMHO the times when a separate ‘reading’ drive was recommended to ‘go easy’ on your writing drive are long past. I, for example, use a 712a writer as main reading drive, because it reads just about everything (pressed or burned media) at 12x or even 16x without needing any firmware patches. My 712a still writes fine after a lot of reading use.

A Plextor writer in combination with Plextools is a very fast and accurate way of ripping audio. Only EAC in combination with any other drive comes close but usually is slower.

Are you going to use APE or FLAC?

… or WavPack? :slight_smile:

ET

Thanks a lot for your thoughts. I’ll stick to the 716 then, with the Plextools, of course. I’m talking about some 500 originals, mostly promised to someone else already :-D.
I’m doing it with the ape format in high compression mode – this allows for a reading speed of 21x, thanks to dual-channel RAM and hyperthreading I can still run SETI@home in the background.

Well, so it isn’t exactly “archiving”, right? :wink: :cop:

ET

It is both archiving and getting rid of them. I’ve sorted out some 600 that will stay here, the rest will go – compressed on dvd and out of the house.

Use wavpack, and You will not disappointed…

Juhuslik, I had tested it before I started. Monkey’s Audio offers a higher compression at a faster speed. The only thing that was tempting was the ability to produce self-extacting sound files – just in case I wanted to listen to one of the files and found myself without the proper decoder. But that meant being cast away on an island without access to the internet. And in that case, playing compressed ape files would be my least sorrow.

Since when speed and compression are good for backing-up Audio… :rolleyes:

If you don’t want to spend much time and too many dvd’s … It’s about time they throw the crystal storage on the market …