DVD +- rom problems

Does anyone know what might be the problem with my dvd-rom? It will not read discs anymore. The problem started a few days ago, and everything I’ve tried to rectify the problem has not worked. I know the drive is not dead, as it still opens, and appears to read the disc, but then nothing. I have a Tsstcorp DVD ±RW TS-H553a drive. Any suggestions/help would be extremely appreciated. I’m not a techie at all so any basic instructions would be very helpful. Thanks a lot!!

This is something drives will do when they are dying.

[QUOTE=aopps42;2044403]Does anyone know what might be the problem with my dvd-rom? It will not read discs anymore. The problem started a few days ago, and everything I’ve tried to rectify the problem has not worked. I know the drive is not dead, as it still opens, and appears to read the disc, but then nothing. I have a Tsstcorp DVD ±RW TS-H553a drive. Any suggestions/help would be extremely appreciated. I’m not a techie at all so any basic instructions would be very helpful. Thanks a lot!![/QUOTE]

Welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

When you say it doesn’t read discs - do you mean CD, DVD, or both (this means both burned and commercial discs)?

Can you boot successfully from your Operating System disc?

no, it will not read any discs. Burned discs, cd’s, dvd’s, system discs, nothing. The hardware profile says it’s working correctly, and it also says there is not a newer driver available for it.

Ouch. Sounds very much like the drive may be kaput.

However, there are one or two last-ditch things you can try. One would be a fresh IDE cable, and the second thing would be to try the drive in someone else’s PC if you can.

I doubt a firmware update would fix this.

Arachne is always the optimist. :smiley:

Sadly, it does sounds like a toasted drive.

The good news is they’re dirt cheap to replace these days.

[QUOTE=7thSinger;2044755]Arachne is always the optimist. :smiley:

Sadly, it does sounds like a toasted drive.

The good news is they’re dirt cheap to replace these days.[/QUOTE]

LOL, I can’t bear to part with a drive, that’s what it is :bigsmile:

I have to agree though, I doubt those two measures would make a lot of difference.

But at least you get to pick a nice new drive from the manufacturer of your choice :smiley: