Dvd-rom or dvd-rom/cdrw?

vbimport

I’d like to get a separate drive for ripping to go along with my BENQ 1620. Is it better to get a straight DVD-rom than a combo drive? I’d really like to reserve my dvd burner for burning dvd’s. Which drives would you recommend other than the litey 16x?? Liteon’s are a bit too noisy for my delicate ears. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance for your replies.

There are alot of good choices for rip drives… AOpen 1648 (I think that’s right), Liteon 166/167 and many others. I personally would purchase another 1620. There is no better reader!

This hog-wash of not burning up your burner by using it as a reader/ripper is exactly that, hog-wash…I currently have (3) OD’s in my system right now and they are all DVD burners… With the price of DVD_burners today, who gives a hoot anyway?

pcdoc,

thanks for the reply. That answers another “what if” question I had. I have a Pioneer 108D sitting around. So maybe I’ll use it as a sec. burner/reader ?

If you have an old drive laying around, I would use that for read drive. But since I have a plextor… I do everything on it :smiley:

Yo-

A DVD-ROM is always going to be faster than any burner on the market - and the Aopen 1648/aap is the fastest currently available - and can be found at www.ajump.com for $36 shipped-

Mike

When writers cost an arm and a leg, it made sense to save them just for writing.

The performance of the “do everyting” DVD writer has also reached acceptable levels, though a CD-RW or combo is usually supports faster CD-R/CD-RW speeds, and a straight DVD-ROM will still beat anything else where seek times matter.

Unless you find a non-writing drive (and therefore non ATIP detecting drive) to be essential (saves fiddling with “hide CD-R media” if you use backups), there is no reason that all your optical drives should not be writers.

If I had a Benq and a Pioneer, they’d both be in, and I’d “waste” a few media in both, testing the burns for PI/PIF in the Benq, with DVDInfopro (if I could be bothered) in the Pioneer, and a speed-plot from CDspeed in both.

my benq will be here today to go along with my pioneer 108. But my fickle heart has fallen for the LG 4163B :slight_smile: Now I have a dilemma. Should I get it to use alongside my benq or not? The 108 is a bit slow compared to other burners so I might sell it. Will the 4163 complement the benq or be redundant? I need to be able to burn - and + reliably.

Thanks again.