DVD-ROM for ripping

I am looking for a DVD-ROM as a ripper for backing up movies. I currently have a Mad Dog Entertainer 16x (Artec/Ultima) and a NEC 2500A, but the Mad Dog is rip locked and I think it’s on its way out. I love the 2500A, but it’s not the best reader and I don’t want unnecessary wear and tear on the unit. What is a good reader which can have the rip lock removed? There’s a lot of info on the forums for burner firmwares (for obvious reasons), but I don’t want to spend the money on a 2nd burner, I just want a cheap reader. I can wait for a sale to buy it, but I want to know which unit to wait for. Thanks.

Hi mad,

I’m using my LiteON166 or Toshiba1712 for ripping. My LiteON seems to be a bit faster and is better in handling reading errors. So maybe you’ll take a look for a LiteON DVD-ROM. Also take a look at http://www.firmware.fr.st/ for a patched firmware for your Artec/Ultima drive.

Yes, I would prefer Lite-on since many people have it and is well supported here. The question is whether I can have the rip-lock disabled or will it just be a little faster but still around 2x for movie DVDs. Newegg has a refurb 48161 I may buy.

On the web site you referred to, the firmwares only refers to region free, which I am not interested in. I think the firmware on the drive now may have come from there. I guess I’ll install the latest one and give it another try.

just be aware that Lite on DVD roms are NOISEY. they may be good rippers and good at error correction but they are to noisey for my tastes. Personally I would go with a toshiba or an Aopen 1648/AAP.

just be aware that Lite on DVD roms are NOISEY. they may be good rippers and good at error correction but they are to noisey for my tastes. Personally I would go with a toshiba or an Aopen 1648/AAP.

Wimp :iagree:

Wimp

:o

my mother was frightned by a garbage disposal just beofre I was born. :bigsmile:

Thanks for the responses, I will go with a lite-on if I see it on sale.

Get your riplock disabled firmware here. My 167T tops out at 10X.

http://codeguys.rpc1.org/firmwares.html

These guys seem to have a good price.

Thanx very much for the firmware link. I’ve been trying to speed up my 167T and my 166S in my other pc for awhile now. I seemed to get a little boost by setting my reader as master alone on the second IDE channel and my burner as slave on the first.

I am weary of Lite-On drives after my 165 went south on me prematurely. I have ordered an Aopen 1648L to replace my ailing Samsung 816B, which is now producing the dreaded clicking noises. Although people here really seem to like the 1648 AAP, I can’t get any feedback on the 1648L, so I will post back with my results once I get the drive.

It would be nice to have alternatives so do get back to us. I have pulled my 1648 AAP after a year as it now seems to be very picky about the interface and causes a ton of trouble when with a burner on the same Oxford 911 connection.

Liteons still work like a charm. I don’t mind when they die as they only now cost $20. I just want a stable supply. These days it really makes no sense for any of these ROM manufacturers to change to a new model unless they can no longer get parts.