DVD-ROM chooses when to read disk

Ok so I got a new computer game lately and because they are all on DVD disks now, I got a new DVD ROM drive. Not a burner, just a reader.

It’s an 18X internal LiteOn, number iHDP118.

Anyway after about a week or so of having it installed, it doesn’t work perfectly. Sometimes it is able to read the disk inside the drive and other times it’s not.

Currently I don’t think I have any drivers installed. The only CD that came with the drive said it had the drivers, but when installing, it looked like all that was installing was that stupid Nero software. I really don’t want Nero. And it looked like it’s just a trial so it’ll be useless shortly anyway, so I removed it from my computer.

Even after doing this, the drive has read the disk at times. But a couple nights ago it just wouldn’t recognize the disk. I Googled for a while and checked a lot of websites, but I couldn’t find an exact answer to this dilemma.

I searched the LiteOn website for just the drivers/firmware but this model isn’t listed.

Somewhere I read that restarting the computer can help the drive detect the disk and the other night it worked. However about 15 minutes ago I go to play the game again and it didn’t detect the disk. I restarted my computer and it still won’t detect the disk.

Ummm, I checked the hardware connections and everything seems fine. The drive gets power, it blinks, it opens and closes, and makes noise when the DVD is freshly put in there. Plus, Windows recognizes the drive and reports the drive is “working properly.”

Some websites say this might be a registry problem, but none were specific and/or didn’t seem to respond to this exact problem. I have a fairly old custom computer, AMD 64 3000, Sapphire 9800 Pro, WinXP Home… I don’t know what other specs you’d need. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I have a couple of these. They seem to be extraordnarily cheap.
The 18x is false, until we find the riplock flash upgrade.

However, one possible step to get them to behave is in the computer bios. Just make sure it is set to auto-recognize all drives at boot-up, and see if you can watch the screen go by claiming that these are A) Listed and B) Ultra Dma (Ultra ATA) 33 drives.

For example, if the drive controller isn’t set to Auto, then it doesn’t probe for the drive, nor list it with the bios. oops. In that case, Windows will set “Multi-Word DMA 2” which is incorrect. In fact, Ata33 is “Ultra DMA Mode 2” and that is what Windows will list if the bios is set correctly (to auto recognize all drives).

Edit: and if you have this drive in a USB external, then try informing Windows that it cannot power-save the USB ports (ie power-save = disappearing drive). In addition to that USB caveat, there’s also some motherboards that can power the USB ports via main (which switches off spontaneously) or via standby (which is always on), and that is usually a motherboard jumper setting.