DVD-ROM buying decision: ASUS, LiteOn or Toshiba?

Hello,

since I want to buy a new DVD-ROM-DRIVE, I need some help for my buying decision. At present I use the Toshiba SDM-1612 and am content with this to a large extent. However the drive has the well-known-measured disadvantage that it has problems with 1:1-copies of Securom4 new protected CDs and audio CDs with copy protections on it. Therefore my criteria for the new DVD-ROM-DRIVE read:

Very important:

• problem-free with SR4 new copies (the copies must be installable AND startable without any emulation, evenly so e.g. in my LiteOn 32x-CD-RW)

Important:

• proper audio CD ripping including audio copy protections
  • quiet operating noise

All in all I look for a DVD-ROM with the qualities of a Toshiba (quiet, qualitative audiograbbing) which in addition can handle SR4New-copies and rip copy-protected audio CDs.

My current candidates are:

ASUS DVD-E616P1
LiteOn LTD-16x 166s
Toshiba SDM 1802

The first two drives are called frequently the best allrounders, but the LiteOn has to be very noisy? Therefore particularly all the experiences of owners of the ASUS would be important to me. Thanks in advance for your help.

Guergen

Any DVD drive reading at high speeds must sound loud. ASUS is loud too…

Hmm, DVD drives are loud. But that wasn’t my question!

Come on guys 'n dolls, I still need your advice which DVD drive to buy!

i don’t find my 166S to be a particularly noisy drive. unless u rip at full speed constantly or something, noise isn’t really a factor.

Thanks AZImmortal,

but what about the really important points: handling of Securom4New-copies and ripping of copy-protected audio-CDs?

Originally posted by Guergen
[B]
Therefore my criteria for the new DVD-ROM-DRIVE read:

Very important:

• problem-free with SR4 new copies (the copies must be installable AND startable without any emulation, evenly so e.g. in my LiteOn 32x-CD-RW)

Important:

• proper audio CD ripping including audio copy protections
  • quiet operating noise

All in all I look for a DVD-ROM with the qualities of a Toshiba (quiet, qualitative audiograbbing) which in addition can handle SR4New-copies and rip copy-protected audio CDs.

My current candidates are:

ASUS DVD-E616P1
LiteOn LTD-16x 166s
Toshiba SDM 1802
[/B]

I can tell u this much:
The Liteon LTD-166s is good (not any noticeably louder or softer than other drives, from memory), but I cannot comment on ripping audio protections or any of the other drives you mentioned since I have never used them. I don’t think you can run Securom4 copies from your CDRW recorder, so u may miss out on that. Of course I’d be happy to be corrected on that if things have changed since the last time I checked in.

If it were my money, I’d get the Liteon because I still think they provide the best features/performance overall. Maybe someone who’s used some of the other drives can comment too.

Originally posted by Guergen
[B]Thanks AZImmortal,

but what about the really important points: handling of Securom4New-copies and ripping of copy-protected audio-CDs? [/B]

that’s why there’s a search function.

My Asus E616 is not good at Securom, the .bwa file it made was the worst I´ve seen!
It is generally a boring drive, it takes a long time to open, you cant close it by pressing on the sledge, you have to press the button.
Note that mine is the E616, not E616-P1, which maybe a totally different.
But I will not try another Asus…

The toshiba is most likely the less noisy drive.

Asus is ok overall but NOISY…

Can’t comment on the LTD-166, but my LTD-165 is good, average noise fast ripping.

I do not understand the SR4 issues as I thought SR4 was a problem when writing…not reading? If I’m right only the plex premium is able to make good copies without tools like twinpeaks etc?

When talking about Toshiba DVD-drives then it is a problem with reading. Because the Toshibas read the data in fact just “too good/exact”, they mostly can’t install from a 1:1-copy of SR4New protected CDs, because they find data errors (in bad sectors) which are not found by other drives (i.e. my LiteOn CD-RW). So owners of Toshiba DVDs always have to make a second copy (without DPM/PCB/Twinpeaks) if they want to install this CD from a Toshiba DVD-drive.

But this is widely known and should be common knowledge.